Ok, so I'm gonna be in a jazz band at school, it's in about 2 hours and I need to know what to expect and what chords and stuff to be ready to play.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
Screw you wiggy. You play an MG AND you copied part of your sig from Kartman, thank you very much.

I think you havent prepared yourself. You're going to need to know a whole lot more than you can learn in 2 hours.
Quote by SuperAnalytical
Screw you wiggy. You play an MG AND you copied part of your sig from Kartman, thank you very much.

I think you havent prepared yourself. You're going to need to know a whole lot more than you can learn in 2 hours.

I know, my guitar teacher taught me some chords that his earlier jazz band students used, but other than that I have no clue what I'm gonna play.
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

Yeah i signed up for jazz band, starts in like a few months. Should be fun to try out some jazz stuff.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Crash course in jazz :P

Any chord with a long name, really :P 7s, 9s, 6s, 13s especially.
Diminished and half-diminished chords

Natural Minor Scale and all its modes, Melodic Minor Scale, Blues Scale, Major Scale Lydian Mode
Dancing in your dust, I'll see ya...
Quote by wiggyisgreat
ahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahhaaaahahahahhahahhahhaaaahahahha

Let me guess you are a loser in your school and noone talks to you so you think your
cool because you play blink 182 songs all day? Whats wrong with jazz band?
Jazz is like the genre that requires the most skill, along with classical.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by NowTheWorld
Crash course in jazz :P

Any chord with a long name, really :P 7s, 9s, 6s, 13s especially.
Diminished and half-diminished chords

Natural Minor Scale and all its modes, Melodic Minor Scale, Blues Scale, Major Scale Lydian Mode

What about Melodic minor ascending aka jazz scale

Also i think it would be good to know the arpeggios for the chords that you know.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

learn lots of 7th chords.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
yeah 7th chords is about all i play in mine...but jazz often has alot of improvisation...chances are that your jazz band wont start out playing all out jazz...you will probly start with some bluesy-rocky stuff to get used to things...in other words just use the blues scale until you can learn how to improvise with the others
ya hey man, im sending you a PM on all this stuff.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by splice
yeah 7th chords is about all i play in mine...but jazz often has alot of improvisation...chances are that your jazz band wont start out playing all out jazz...you will probly start with some bluesy-rocky stuff to get used to things...in other words just use the blues scale until you can learn how to improvise with the others

What would help me in jazz improvisation?
Just loop some chords and stuff?

What type of stuff would i use though, arpeggios, scales? mix?
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

well jazz improv is just knowing what key you are in (what flats you have) and then applying that to the fretboard. If you know how to play all the natural notes in the first 3 frets, then you can basically find out what it flat in those notes, and apply those to your solo. So jsut play around in a key hitting basically random notes (but its more than that). And if you can learn arpeggios then great, but when you do, dont just play arpeggios for the solo, that sounds gay (according to my teacher). PM for other questions.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
No, you dont hit "random notes". You target chord tones of the chord you are playing and you add passing tones between the chord tones.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by BobFromReboot
No, you dont hit "random notes". You target chord tones of the chord you are playing and you add passing tones between the chord tones.

Ok so arpeggios/scales/passing tones.

And for the most part dont hold passing tones for too long?
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Ok, just had the first practice, noone really cared that I only knew a few chords out of 50+ that I'm gonna have to memorize by December, it's mostly with flats and 7ths, 13ths, etc.
Quote by Zinnie

Passing tones are essential in jazz and bop. Lots of legato usgage as well. Work on keeping it smooth and flowing.
If you treat jazz correctly you'll be 100 times the guitarist you are now. Jazz is an acquired taste, most need to learn it before appreciating it.
You may have some kids laugh at you but after you get it down they won't be able to play in the same room as you.
dont worry about the chords that are like, c7(b13) or something. those only really matter if you are in like, a professional jazz band. for the most part, you can get away with doing like a major for a major 7th and things like that. I also rarely do the 9th chord. : ) i usually just do a seventh
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
I joined the Jazz band at my college, I got there, they gave me loads of sheet music, and didn't tell me what we were doing. They didin't care about guitarists, it was like a full orchestra playing something (VERY well), and then me searching to find what we were playing in the pile of sheets, or improvising over the band.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by cashewchaching
dont worry about the chords that are like, c7(b13) or something. those only really matter if you are in like, a professional jazz band. for the most part, you can get away with doing like a major for a major 7th and things like that. I also rarely do the 9th chord. : ) i usually just do a seventh

I don't agree with this at all. It may be true that just major and minor chords might work in place of the extended chords, but why would you play them instead? How can you say they only matter in a professional band? Why would you sacrifice quality just because you're not professional? Plus, a 7#9 chord gives a whole different sound from a major chord. They're marked in the music for a reason. If you come up on a 13b5b9 chord, then play the chord as it's written - don't just play a major chord. If you don't know the chord, try and figure it out. In the meantime, learn your extended and altered chords so you won't have that problem.
Quote by guitar_god22

thats about south africa tho...which isnt poor at all.
Quote by RyanInChains9
yea venezula is just the richest country in the world...
Last edited by Zeppelin256 at Oct 14, 2006,
Know how to read notes, know how to feel the music, know how to improvise, and most of all, know the chord shapes, they will be written on paper, and know how to build off of them.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.