I currently have a MIM Fender Fat Strat, and I'm looking to buy a new guitar as my nice, "keeper" guitar. I'm looking to spend around $700, although I can push that up to around $1K if needed.

I like playing all kinds of music, mostly rock, alternative, and a bit of punk and metal. I also have pretty short fingers, so would prefer a thinner neck (no Les Paul bat necks ) Also, I would rather not have a tremolo, as I don't want to deal with the hassles of tuning and re-stringing one.

I've done a bunch of research, and the only guitars that seem to fit the bill for me are: MIA Fender Strat, Gibson SG, or Schecter C-1 Elite. Any other suggestions of guitars to look at? Of the three listed above, any pros/cons for each?

I'm actually leaning towards the Schecter, but I'm a little worried about the thick neck.

It seems like some of the other large/popular guitar companies like Ibanez, ESP, or Jackson are all more geared towards metal-players. Is this true?

Thanks for any help!
sg
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
Quote by tubab0y

looks like a Marty Friedman, but IMO I know you dont want a tremolo but consider an S470, I heard it's really good...If not go for a nice Epi LP Custom, those are pretty nice and are hard tail.
ibanez has a very thin neck, so I've heard, although I don't think so with mine(it's a stingray style bass...) and they are good for all types of stuff, although a pickup change has been suggested before...
SZs don't have thin necks. The Marty Friedman is based on the SZs.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by El Codyo
Ibanez RGA 121. Thin neck, no trem, mohogany body. The only problem is the pickups. Swap them out and you should still be under $1000.

+1. That or an SZ

And yes, Marty Friedman loves SZs and his sig guitar will be based on one.

mmm...Marty Friedman sig.

*drools*
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
It's already on sale in Japan and it pisses me off they dont wanna bring em here for now...But on the subject, since you have a Strat already why dont you get a Les Paul, try looking for a used Elitist or a Custom Les Paul...Epi of course.
i think you might have problems with the schecter, they're a little bit thinner than gibson necks, but not by much, i love my schecter C-1 Elite, with upgraded pickups, i say just as good as a gibson, i personally liked it more than a PRS, i felt a PRS, the one i played had a bulky neck joint, not all that great feel (for me, i know alot of people love them), and there wasn't a 1500 difference in sound quality