Having rekindled my interest in lead guitar, i decided to give sweep picking another go for an hour or two yesterday and managed to achieve a good standard of sweeping across 5 strings.

However, when playing through my all valve Peavey5150 i get a fair bit of excess noise. Upon playing some sweeps at school on the teachers SS Roland i had no unwanted noise at all and was slightly puzzled. Now, i'm doing sweeps that don't neccessarily need to be barred with my index and wondered if perhaps if this was either an issue of muting or my amps volume.

Bear in mind it's valve and sounds very average at low volumes (think 1). The only reason i consider the volume being an issue is that valve's need cranking to sound good and SS doesn't have to be turned up to achieve the best tone (my sweeps sounded perfect on the Roland).

I know what you mean. These days I have more noise on the (all tube) Laney GH50 head than on the schools little Fender Super Chorus. But only a bit. I've worked on my clean picking/sweeping for the past 6 months, and it's reaching the squeeky clean stage.

Seriously, just working on it! You can also use a wristband. Slip it on right above the nut and slide it down the neck when you need it. It's no big deal..it's a good practicing tool. Good for recording as well?just in case. I mean ****, Petrucci sometimes ties a cloth around the neck of his guitar when he's recording. He's a bloody clean player live though, so it's OK.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
im thiniking its because the 5150 is more distorted and more compressed, so that every movement you do is picked up, hence the excess noise. that happened to me when i switched from my ****ty 10 watt practice amp to my marshall. but i found that to do them perfectly you have to throw you're fretting hand fluidly around and not just mute the strings after you play them. kindda like how a pianist throws his hands on the sides after a fast licck or whatever. give that a go. worked for me.
Quote by ChurchNSkate
You can also use a wristband. Slip it on right above the nut and slide it down the neck when you need it.

awsome idea! thanks.

but yea back on topic when i first started sweeping i got that excess noise and with practicing it went away. also using hte neck PU helps to.
Tube amps are very sensitive, they won't cover up your mistakes at all.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Cheers for the help, i hadn't considered note definition. Sweeps are already sounding far cleaner now, i suppose i didn't factor in that i'd only spent a couple of hours building them up.