I just got a Standard MIM Stratocaster and it buzzes on the lower strings alot. I tryed rasing the action and it did not really help. CAn anyone help me?
what string do you use?
How would you like to be an egg? You only get laid once. It takes 4 minutes to get hard, 2 minutes to get soft. You share your box with 9 other guys. But worst of all: the only chick that ever sat on your face was your mother. So cheer up...
Can you hear the buzz coming over the amp or just when you're sitting playing unplugged? 'coz if it doesn't come through the amp then don't worry.

Also, it might not be fret buzz, it might be the tuners vibrating slightly, so just tighten up the little screws on top.

If none of this works, wait 'til someone smarter than me comes along to help.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
It depends on where it's buzzing. What notes do you play when you get the buzz. If you're playing the open strings, the nut can either be slotted to low or than can be a high fret. Make sure your neck is pretty straight (put a capo on the first fret, fret the last fret and look at the 7-8 fret), and adjust the truss rod accordingly. We're going to need more info.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Can you hear the buzz coming over the amp or just when you're sitting playing unplugged? 'coz if it doesn't come through the amp then don't worry.

Also, it might not be fret buzz, it might be the tuners vibrating slightly, so just tighten up the little screws on top.

If none of this works, wait 'til someone smarter than me comes along to help.

I think you got it head on. I had my amp turned down and could hear the guitar cleary over it. Thanks
Hey, I got something right! Legendary...

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
*marks the day on calendar.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
And so you should!

Now that I listen, thats not it. I can hear it in the amp. Im pretty sure the string is vibrating against the frets. When i apo the first and last frets, the 7-8th frets are almost touching the strings. What does that mean?
So I was wrong? F*ck!

It means your action may be too low. Unplug the guitar from the amp and play acoustically. See if you can hear any buzz. If you can, then you'll most likely have to adjust your neck to be straight, then go from there. Depends though.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
See if your neck is straight, ie do the capo thing but also do it by eye, put the guitar on the ground and look down both sides of the neck from the headstock. It should be almost straight but the top should curve forward just a little, this is called the bow in the neck. If your neck is "straight" then you've got to raise your action a little more. If it still buzzes even with the action relatively high, you might need a professional setup, or even need to get your frets leveled.
Quote by Moloro0
Now that I listen, thats not it. I can hear it in the amp. Im pretty sure the string is vibrating against the frets. When i apo the first and last frets, the 7-8th frets are almost touching the strings. What does that mean?

means ur necks pretty straight. more bend will help you to to clear a high fret, while keeping ur action lower.

also, make sure ur bridge is level.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011