I know that tube amps sound better turned up and bad at bedroom levels. Is the Peavey 6505 bad at bedroom levels because it is 120watts?
Go play one... I have a 5150 and I will tell you that they are very loud. But they have alot of preamp tube distortion which makes them sound better at lower levels than a lot of tube amps which need to be cranked so the power tubes distort. If your not planning on gigging you are going overkill. And yes, it sounds better loud.
my JSX is 120 watts, and it dont sound bad at bedroom levels. but i dont play in my bedroom, so its never at bedroom level.

(yay soundproof garage)
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
I will be gigging a lot and I realise that 120watts is overkill but they don't make a lower wattage 6505. I will play one before I buy it but the nearest guitar center or any place that would have one is in Sacremento which is a two and a half hour drive.
if you gig,120 watts will be fine.

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
120w is too much, but then again I play on a 6watt.

You won't be able to push the power tubes (which is the reason why you get a tube amp) at bedroom volumes, but you'll be able to gig...it'll be loud as hell though. Buy some musicians earplugs if you wan to preserve your hearing.
Quote by Erc
120w is too much, but then again I play on a 6watt.

You won't be able to push the power tubes (which is the reason why you get a tube amp) at bedroom volumes, but you'll be able to gig...it'll be loud as hell though. Buy some musicians earplugs if you wan to preserve your hearing.

O RLY?
If your planning on gigging go for it. Crank it loud because there is nothing like pounding an open chord and feeling your pant leg rattle.
Quote by joining_heads
Go play one... I have a 5150 and I will tell you that they are very loud. But they have alot of preamp tube distortion which makes them sound better at lower levels than a lot of tube amps which need to be cranked so the power tubes distort. If your not planning on gigging you are going overkill. And yes, it sounds better loud.

Good point.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by metal Lover
I know that tube amps sound better turned up and bad at bedroom levels. Is the Peavey 6505 bad at bedroom levels because it is 120watts?

Are you going for full stack, half stack, or extension cabient.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by metal Lover

hearing damage...
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Quote by Erc
120w is too much, but then again I play on a 6watt. So...ok?

You won't be able to push the power tubes (which is the reason why you get a tube amp) No...not really. That was the case a long time ago (and still is today...but not much). Now days its because of that fat, warm tone.at bedroom volumes, but you'll be able to gig...it'll be loud as hell though. Buy some musicians earplugs if you wan to preserve your hearing....wuss

Fixed.

edit- WATTAGE DOESNT MATTER. kjhfdgkjhghg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAMNIT I hate when people are like "zomgz the Triple Recto is WAY TOO MUCH EVAR!!!!! MYSPACEE BL0G!!!!!!!! ITS 150 effing watties!!!!!! GET THE 6505!@!@!@!!!!!"

-------
30watt difference.

WOW WHAT A HUGE DIFFERENCE!!

/
Last edited by kurdtkobaign at Sep 20, 2006,
nice. i actually lol'd.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
**** yeah
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
yeah, these wattage things are kind of inflated. People make it out to be a huge deal, but the differences aren't as big as people make it once you're at 50W+, it's mostly about headroom after that. The human ear perceives roughly 10dB as being twice as loud. To get a +3dB increase, twice the power is needed(2:1 ratio). to get +10dB, 10x the power is needed.

start with 50W @ 110dB dimed on 10. to get +3dB, we need to double the power, so that's 100W @ 113dB.
now to get another +3dB, you need to double the power again, so that's 200W @ 116dB.
Now double the power again to get another +3dB, and we are at 400W @ 119dB.
to get the 1dB, 1.26x the power is the ratio, so 1.26x400W= 504~500W @ 120dB

So, you would need 500W just to double the "perceived" volume from a 50W amp dimed on 10.

http://www.state.me.us/spo/landuse/docs/NoiseTABulletin.pdf
http://trace.wisc.edu/docs/2004-About-dB/
http://www.geocities.com/rf-man/db.html

Sound Environment--------------------(dBA SPL)-----------Approximate loudness compared to ordinary conversation
Quiet suburban area or dishwasher in next room---------------50-----1/2 as loud
Office interior or ordinary conversation----------------------------60-----Ordinary Conversation
Vacuum cleaner at 10 ft.----------------------------------------------70-----Twice as loud
Passing car at 10 ft. or garbage disposal at 3 ft-----------------80-----4 times as loud
Passing bus or truck at 10 ft. or food blender at 3 ft.-----------90-----8 times as loud
Passing subway train at 10 ft. or gas lawn mower at 3 ft.-----100--16 times as loud
Night club with band playing------------------------------------------110---32 times as loud
Threshold of pain--------------------------------------------------------120---64 times as loud as conversation (twice as loud as night club)

194 Maximum possible (from atmospheric 14.7psi down to 0psi)
177 Record for car audio!
170 Shotgun blast up close
160 Perforation of eardrum
140 Jet Aircraft Taking Off
120 Human Threshold of Pain - 1 watt/sq. meter
120 Loud Rock Concert
110 Moderate rock concert, dance club
100 Motorcycle
-- extended listening above 85-90dB leads to hearing loss --
90 Lawnmower, loud home stereo
85 Jackhammer at 15 meters (50 feet)
80 Moderate home stereo, ringing telephone
75 Average City Street
70 Freeway traffic, TV audio
60 Normal Conversation
50 Large office background noise
40 Quiet office or residential area
30 Whisper at 3 meters (10 feet), Very soft music
20 "Silent" TV Studio, Whisper at 1 meter, Quiet living room
10 Soft rustling of leaves
0 Human threshold of hearing (youths)
10 to the -12 Watts per square metre
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Wow ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Yeah but if you have 120w going into 2 speakers, wouldn't that be not as loud as 120w going into 1 speaker?
Quote by Erock503
yeah, these wattage things are kind of inflated. People make it out to be a huge deal, but the differences aren't as big as people make it once you're at 50W+, it's mostly about headroom after that. The human ear perceives roughly 10dB as being twice as loud. To get a +3dB increase, twice the power is needed(2:1 ratio). to get +10dB, 10x the power is needed.

start with 50W @ 110dB dimed on 10. to get +3dB, we need to double the power, so that's 100W @ 113dB.
now to get another +3dB, you need to double the power again, so that's 200W @ 116dB.

So, you would need 500W just to double the "perceived" volume from a 50W amp dimed on 10.

Dude thank you so much! lol Im bookmarking this page so if any of these wattage issues come up i can link to it!
You know what? I think I'm just going to save up for a Carvin V3. It seems like they're more versatile and have a great sound.

OR a mG HALfsTaCK!!!!!!!!!!M!A!R!S!H!A!L!L!!!!!1111111!!!eleven!!!!!!111!
Quote by Erock503

This should be in the FAQ. Right at the top. It's kind of sad to realize that through the same speakers, the 120 watt 6505 metal beast is exactly 40% louder than my 30 watt head. It's only 80% louder than a 15 watt amp- that's right, not even twice as loud. Sure, it'll have lots more headroom, but that's not usually what one wants in a metal amp.

Something to think about- speaker sensitivity means a LOT. A 30 watt head through a 2x12 with speakers rated at 103 dB(i.e. Celestion Century) will actually be LOUDER than a 100 watt head through a the same cab with greenbacks (97dB). Chew on that for a minute.
Quote by Erock503

177 Record for car audio!

actually. that info is outdated. a guy with something to the tune of 12 to 14 pioneer competition subs with 50,000 watts posted an official 180.2 db and an unofficial 182.0 back around the first of the year

yes i used to be a car audio fanatic.
way too much for bedroom.
i have a 40watt fender tube and i play it at volume 2 and its loud.
Ibanez RG770DX /w Floyd Rose & Stock Pickups
Aria AK-80 Classical Concert Guitar
Boss DS-1
Boss TU-2
Electro-Harmonix Russian Big Muff Pi
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Heet Sound Ebow
yesterday i was told to turn my amp down my by neighbor. very first time it has ever happened.

i thought it was weird. only had my amp at 2 :p

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by metal Lover

I just got a 6505+ half stack today. This mf'er smokes! It's very, very tolerable at lower levels. I have mine just below 1 and it sounds very nice. I cranked it just past 2 this afternoon and you could barely stand to be in the same room with it. lol
Hey tubadude, my 120w Peavey sits in the room next to my front door and I continue to keep the master volume at or above 3 at all times of the day lol. I'm wondering when I'm gonna get a knock on the door. Oh btw, I too am left handed, but play right handed!

Quote by tubadude
yesterday i was told to turn my amp down my by neighbor. very first time it has ever happened.

i thought it was weird. only had my amp at 2 :p
Guitars:
Jackson DXMGT
Agile Al-2000

Amp:
Peavey Ultra Plus 120
Carvin G412B

FX:
Line6 Echo Park
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
Well, you could always buy a THD Hot Plate

Then you could crank the amp at decent levels
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
I dont see why everyone thinks that **** is so loud, ive cranked my twin reverb to 10 many a time and its pretty damn ****ing loud, but i can still stay within a mile of it, unlike most people, i dont play in a small bedroom tho.
Quote by GuianM
Hey tubadude, my 120w Peavey sits in the room next to my front door and I continue to keep the master volume at or above 3 at all times of the day lol. I'm wondering when I'm gonna get a knock on the door. Oh btw, I too am left handed, but play right handed!

it was the first time, it thought it was weird because my dad can watch tv on the other side of the wall just fine. but my neighbor who is about 250 feet away, came over and told me to turn it down. totally killed the mood to play.

Quote by steven seagull
Quote by tubadude
it was the first time, it thought it was weird because my dad can watch tv on the other side of the wall just fine. but my neighbor who is about 250 feet away, came over and told me to turn it down. totally killed the mood to play.

Whenever someone tells me to turn down, it totally kills the mood to play.
Quote by michaelcyborg
way too much for bedroom.
i have a 40watt fender tube and i play it at volume 2 and its loud.

Have you not read anything Erock and I have said in the thread?
Quote by Gitter_Wizard
I dont see why everyone thinks that **** is so loud, ive cranked my twin reverb to 10 many a time and its pretty damn ****ing loud, but i can still stay within a mile of it, unlike most people, i dont play in a small bedroom tho.

keep doing that you will have hearing problems