hey ive been playing for a year now and ive noticed that i never alternate pick because i can downpick pretty fast but i was wondering if alternate picking is somthing that i should really do(work on) , or if its neccesary?
Yes
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Definatly work on altenate picking, it makes playing fast so much easier. But if you want to even step it up another notch, go straight to economy picking, its basically "selective" alternate picking. Very useful for ripping through scales and solos.
Learn to alternate pick. It is by far the most versatile picking method, and although I learned to pick with all downstrokes at first like you did, it has been to my benefit that I have learned to alternate pick.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
Well if you wanna solo then yeah, if you're content with playing lightning fast downpicked Hetfield-esque powerchord sequences then don't bother.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
in the words of synyster gates ..."any monkey can shake their hand real fast and hope the right notes come out"- Synyster Gates (refering to alternate picking)
cool thanks ima work on it i would have learned it before but i didnt realize i neede it that much thanx alot.
Quote by Guitar Skater
in the words of synyster gates ..."any monkey can shake their hand real fast and hope the right notes come out"- Synyster Gates (refering to alternate picking)

Dude, did you read his sig? And anyway, that statement proves his ignorance.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Dude, did you read his sig? And anyway, that statement proves his ignorance.

my ignorance?
it's real good to alternate pick but it's a hard habbit to get into and do it good just like typeing proper and fast or authentic hand writing.
I never learned it and now I'm finding it almost impossible for me to learn since I've been downpicking for so long. I reccomend that you pick it up as soon as possible.
Quote by Metallica!
my ignorance?

No Synyster's ignorance, as the other guy said.

Your ignorance (sorry) is the kind of excuseable ignorance that you'd expect from a new(ish) guitar player, so it doesn't bother me much, unlike the kind of total-dickhead ignorance you get from some pro guitarists.

Yeah ^_^ You should.
Alternate picking is a lot faster than downstrokes. At first, I thought I was downpicking pretty quickly...but I was alternate picking even quicker.
Quote by CoDee
I never learned it and now I'm finding it almost impossible for me to learn since I've been downpicking for so long. I reccomend that you pick it up as soon as possible.

i had the same problem... i downpicked for the first 6 months of me playing... then i figured out that i should learn how to alternate pick because i wanted to be faster...

i went back and relearned every single riff i ever learned all over again... it took about 1 1/2 months... but now alternate picking is completely natural to me
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
in the words of somebody when i asked the same question, " if u cant alternate pick u wont be better than a mediocre high school guitar player"
Quote by Metallica!
hey ive been playing for a year now and ive noticed that i never alternate pick because i can downpick pretty fast but i was wondering if alternate picking is somthing that i should really do(work on) , or if its neccesary?
]

are you joking? alternate picking is SO MUCH MORE EFFICIENT once developed, you can probably double the speed you do downpicking
alone