should u learn how to read music, is it neccessary to become an accomplished musician?
I'd say it depends...

Do you plan on playing professionally for OTHERS? i.e. session guitarist. Its pretty much required to sight read if you play for others.

If you plan on playing for yourself then you need to decide if you'll ever be in a situation where you'll need it. Of course, if you have the time and desire, theres no reason not to learn.

I barely know how to read sheet music. I only know because of general music in school. I don't plan on learning it.
Its good to know how, even if your not that fast at least be able to point out the notes and everything.

I learned it before tabs but i read tabs mostly now. But i can still read it if i need too. But i also play keyboard so i read it for that.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

man , tabs are good , but if you wanna get really good , get your theory down , reading music included. it can show you patterns n stuff in scales that help u make your own ALOT easier
Up the irons
I know how to read music for several brass instruments, but I don't think it's necessary for guitar unless the kind of music you play is written exclusively in standard notation, or like someone already said, if you're planning on being a session guitarist or professional classical guitarist. The only advantage standard notation has over TAB is that rhythm's are explicitly marked. Even then, rhythm's can be marked out correctly in TAB.