I am into classic rock and folk a lot and am interested into getting into some blues and RnB type music. Any suggestions on people to look out for that really throw emotion into their songs? I want to learn to play this style of music.

Thanks a lot
Its how you look and how you feel
what type of r&b? funk can be considered r&b in some cases
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
umm, I'm not really sure I dont know a whole to lot about R&B, umm what I'm looking for is like Bluesy type stuff but also some upbeat mellow stuff.
Well, we'll start you off with some of the bluesmen who pretty well invented classic rock.

Bo Diddley
Howlin' Wolf
Muddy Waters
Buddy Guy
Chuck Berry
Hubert Sumlin
Freddy King
Albert King
These guys had electric guitars, full bands, the whole nine yards.

If you want a little more crude early blues...

John Lee Hooker
Sonny Boy Williamson
Earl Hooker
Elmore James
Big Joe Williams

For really crude, really early blues...

Son House
Blind Lemon Jefferson
Robert Johnson
Charley Patton
Blind Willie McTell
Willie Brown
David Honeyboy Edwards

For newer blues-rock

Jimmie Vaughan
Stevie Ray Vaughan
The Fabulous Thunderbirds
Johnny Winter
Edgar Winter (more bluesy with Johnny)
George Thorogood
John Mayall
ZZ Top
Jeff Healy
Jeff Beck

As for R&B, I'll only recommend Stevie Wonder because I really like him, but I don't really like R&B.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
good suggestions by ufossuck, definitely check out robert cray as well, bb king, ray charles (R&B), Albert Collins.
The Blues & Jazz forum is full of blues recommendations.

If you do a search for "soul", you'll also find some threads from a few months ago with plenty of R&B and soul recommendations. It's probably in the Other Music forum. Although UG is hardly the best place to look for R&B threads, it's very rarely discussed.
I agree with all of the above and stress Ray Charles, as I have just recently got into him.
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
Jonny Lang.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Wow I like this half of the forum, everyone is nice about things unlike other sections.

Thanks for the input from all of you, I will start looking into some of these guys
No problem man, some of Hendrix's stuff is very R&B influenced and blues.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Theres this one song by Lyfe Jennings if im not mistaken thats called Must Be Nice, really sounds cool when you ad a guitar solo over it... throughout the whole song even.. try that..its abit more modern compared to the lists above (no offence to it, really great stuff up there). but its just if anyone wants to try..
Great suggestions, ufossuck.

I used to listen only to classic rock, as well, so i know your situation well. The first guy i got into was Stevie Ray Vaughan and some other bluesy classic rock. After i fell in love with the blues, i started searching out his influences and just other older guys and listening to them. Some of my earliest blues findings were SRV, BB King, Robert Johnson, Buddy Guy, and John Lee Hooker.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
I'm kinda like tnfootballfan too, I listened to pretty much Classic Rock only, but my classic rock radio station plays SRV, George Thorogood, Robert Cray, and from there I was hooked on blues. I still love classic rock, but for me it doesn't get better than the blues.
Quote by Hauf
Wow I like this half of the forum, everyone is nice about things unlike other sections.

Thanks for the input from all of you, I will start looking into some of these guys

well when you ask people for recommendations on stuff they know and love, they're gonna be nice.

i won't bother adding much since i'm not a big blues guy (hang out here for the occasional jazz thread), but i'm surprised there has been no mention of t-bone walker.
"I see my light come shining from the west down to the east
Any day now, any day now I shall be released"

Know any good teachers in NY, especially skilled in teaching ear training? Tell me
^Concur'd. T-bone Walker is great.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...