Ive been wondering this, and my question is why do you think so many true metal fans are irratible and hostile when it comes to talking about metal? I mean, alot of times if your a twelve year old who goes up to someone with a Cryptopsy shirt (just as an example) and says that Slipknot is metal, your probably going to get a beating.

My question is just why do you think hostility and dislike towards subgenres of metal is abundent in alot of true metal (meaning thrash, black and death metal) fans? Is it cause true metal is an endangered form of music?

discuss.
probably because it annoys them, and they're trying to make people get it through their heads that bands like slipknot aren't metal (good, but not metal), and no big music people are helping much
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
omg not another one of these gay threads *proves thread correct*

because metal fans are the most passionate. plainly put.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Because most metal fans are arrogant and hate displays of ignorance coming from 12 year old little boys?

EDIT: In regards to the example, I really don't give a dungball over such things. It's just more amusing than anything.

p.s. And it just occured to me that this is going to be an unproductive thread. Delete. Now.
Last edited by totenkopf at Sep 19, 2006,
My neighbor always goes on all the time about how Slipknot is brutal Death Metal. It doesn't really bother me, just makes me giggle.

Lifes too short to get all worked up about music, regardless what genre it is.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Because metal is one of the genres most bands are mislabeled into. And it gets irritating cause it happens so often.
"O ya liek trivum is br00tal black metal lol"

Kind of hard not to get annoyed when you hear things like that so often by completely ignorant people who think they're cool.
because metal heads tend to be the most passionate of their music and serious
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Tha' Get Away Driva' of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by Alicee
I gave my brother a hand job. It was weird at first. It was weirder after.

Its just something embedded into your brain. It is an elitest attitude... I'll admit that I have it sometimes.

When you do hear someone who doesn't know wtf is going on saying something blatently stupid sometimes you do want to correct them. I rarely say anything though. They'll end up looking stupid sometime when it matters.
Just be thankful Slipknot arn't death metal.

Each to his own, I must prefer the fashioncore trend to stay the way it is - being emo or whatever they call it - rather than for it to become death metal, and for the scene to be flooded with unimaginative shit made by dudes looking to make a quick buck off what's popular.

That's not to say that I don't hate fashioncore but.
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by Ramseus
"O ya liek trivum is br00tal black metal lol"

Kind of hard not to get annoyed when you hear things like that so often by completely ignorant people who think they're cool.

have you actually seen them labelled brutal black??
on topic - youre right. why fight ignorance
I usually find ignorance amusing, if said ignorant person is 'teachable' and not an arrogant 'slipknot ist krieg' prick.

Actually, I don't get any more angry at arrogant slipknot pricks than I do about anybody who is ignorantly full of themselves.
I don't like it because the people who are like "TRIVUM ARE METAL" or w/e are totally blindsighted. Just because Trivium arn't metal, doesnt mean they're not a good band. A band thats "not metal" but hardcore/ metalcore/ nu-metal doesnt make them a bad band, and newbs seem to think that if a band ISN'T metal, then they're not good.
Listening to me play the guitar, is the equivalent pleasure to 20 orgasms

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member #20 of the Iron Maiden are Gods club, pm revelations to join
I only try to explain things like that to people who actually know something about music. Otherwise you will loose them with your intelect.
Read my post. Not this.
I've been to alot of metal shows, & I don't think I've ever seen anyone really give a damn about what people classify as metal, maybe on internet forums like this where there are a set guidleine of rules that people refuse to follow; then people get pissed. Otherwise, I don't see that happen often.
Don't analyze my beliefs & I won't pick out the flaws in yours
Quote by RingmasterTJ
I've been to alot of metal shows, & I don't think I've ever seen anyone really give a damn about what people classify as metal, maybe on internet forums like this where there are a set guidleine of rules that people refuse to follow; then people get pissed. Otherwise, I don't see that happen often.

people are also more vocal on a internet forum than they would be in real life though
Read my post. Not this.
Quote by RingmasterTJ

+1
I have never honestly argued with someone outside of this forum that nu-metal and metalcore are/aren'nt metal. In UG there are rules, you either respect those rules and learn to deal with them or you get banned/flamed.
I don't have to worry because i listen to true metal.
check out my favorites: As I Lay Dying, Bullet For My Valentine, Trivium, etc
Metal Forever!!!!
^ Yeah man! i love those bandz 2.

They're hardcore metal!

Triviumz Forever!

Edit: Ok that was lame....
roar
Quote by mingles
I only try to explain things like that to people who actually know something about music. Otherwise you will loose them with your intelect.

never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

I don't like ignorance, but it can be pretty funny

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Yeah, if someone is ignorance you kind-of get the feeling of flaming him. Haha. If someone is lost, I wouldn't mind and just help him.

Quote by zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Metal Forever!!!!

Case and point. Wrong forum bud. Try the Hardcore forum.
Last edited by SGRocker0791 at Sep 20, 2006,
^exactly

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Last edited by Emenius Sleepus at Sep 20, 2006,
Quote by zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Metal Forever!!!!

I think it's obvious that its a joke account.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Because nearly all of them base their life off of the music they listen to. If someone mislabels their favourite "band" which has become their identity and not care about it, they'll be up in arms as you've effectively insulted them.

That's my theory anyway - just people looking for an identity.
Because music is like religion. Everyone believes that their own style is the greatest. Only with Metalheads, it's actually true.
Sometimes it seems like the elitists who always get so angry when someone misclassifies a band are more annoying the people who misclassify them.

Although calling Slipknot Brutal Death Metal is definitely going to far.
Quote by rich_sg
I think WW3 (if it happens) should be settled on Counter-Strike

USA: Time to own me some communism, take that China!
China: NOOO! You bastaaaaad! I knife you much good, yes yes?
UK: STFU n00bz0rs.
Russia: HE IZ DEFUZING ZE BOMB!
i think its because of all the sub genres. one has to know them all, and when someone doesnt, they must suffer.
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
Well i used to be stupid like that because I hadnt been introduced to more extreme types of metal. Its just because most people are ignorant of the fact that metal is very ranged and they just dont bother with knowing all of the subgenres unless they come to the UG metal forum.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i think its because of all the sub genres. one has to know them all, and when someone doesnt, they must suffer.

Yeah, I mean if you don't know what Epic Symphonic Power/Progressive Metal With Harsh Vocals And Folk Influences is then what are you doing listening to metal in the first place?