In a most likely futile attempt to diversify my playing I've decided to lear some Jazz chords and scales. So what are some good Jazzy chords and scales? (if you post a scales please post most effective position)
7th chords

add a note between the 3rd and 4th notes fo teh minor pentatonic and youve got yourself teh blues scale.

of course, jazz is about the swing feel too.
CLOWNDEACAN
Try improving with a swing beat in some minor pentatonic scales with specific chords, it's fun and improves your improv skills. It's also a good warm-up and, when played well, can impress some people.
Ohhh...My head hurts...

Quote by Inahrima
^ have i told you i keep misreading your title as UG's biggest bad greek?
m6... tasty.

Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
good chords to use are 7ths, 9ths, and 13ths, just look for a jazz chord chart online or something. and when playing rhythms, you always want to "chunk" the 2nd and 4th beat, which is making the chord very short and rhythmic
e|-----|-2--|
B|-----|-2--|
G|-----|-2--|
D|--1--|----|
A|-----|-2--|
E|-----|----|

i think thats a 9th chord. jsut slide that up and down the fret board. very jazzy.
LAISSEZ LES BON TEMPS ROULER
7th chords are good.

Hmm... for scales may wanna try some diminished scales, they're used in jazz. They're easy, they just go whole step, half step( or vice versa) repeatedly until you get to the root again. Heres a good position for diminished scale(In C):

------------------------------------------------------------8-9-11--
------------------------------------------------8-10-11-------------
-------------------------------------8-9-11-------------------------
----------------------7-8-10-11-------------------------------------
-----------7-9-10---------------------------------------------------
-8-9-11-----------------------------------------------------------

Try learning how to arpeggiate chords, that'll help with your soloing( approaching them like mini scales, if you get what I'm saying, not just with open chords. Theres a lesson on this on the site, check that out.).
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
Any, any chord goes well in jazz. A very common inside jazz progression is IM7 - vim7 - iim7 - V7

Try to utilize a walking bassline to connect those chords. If you don't know what one is, ask again here .

Feel free to add any extensions you want to those - 9ths 6ths, whatever.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by psychodelia
The I-vi-ii-V is good, but don't forget the ii7-V7-IM7, either

Ah true. That is equal to the I-IV-V in pop music.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Quote by guitarted
Thanks guys!

start with the ii-v7-1. Use inversions and walk backwards and that's jazz. In the key of c that would be D minor 7, G7, CM7. Use inversions and walk backwards and that's Jazz. Check it out.
Alrite, no one knows anything about jazz I see?

First of all, learn to read standard notation if you don't already. Then, get the Real Book, it's got all the jazz songs you'll ever need.

When it comes to actually playing jazz. On a guitar, plain old 7th chords are rarely used. For dominants, jazzers usually use 9ths or 13ths. When it comes to minor chords, or major chords, then they usually use 7ths.

Chords you should know:

dominant 7th: 1-3-5-b7
9th: 1-3-5-b7-9
13th: 1-3-5-b7-9-13

Major 7: 1-3-5-7
Major 9/7: 1-3-5-7-9

Minor 7: 1-b3-5-b7
Minor 9: 1-b3-5-b7-9

Diminished 7th: 1-b3-b5-bb7
Half Diminished(min. 7 b5): 1-b3-b5-b7

EDIT: I accidently pressed enter, more info on next post!!!
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Last edited by modestmouse9191 at Sep 26, 2006,
Alrite, no one knows anything about jazz I see?

First of all, learn to read standard notation if you don't already. Then, get the Real Book, it's got all the jazz songs you'll ever need.

When it comes to actually playing jazz. On a guitar, plain old 7th chords are rarely used. For dominants, jazzers usually use 9ths or 13ths. When it comes to minor chords, or major chords, then they usually use 7ths.

Chords you should know:

dominant 7th: 1-3-5-b7
9th: 1-3-5-b7-9
13th: 1-3-5-b7-9-13

Major 7: 1-3-5-7
Major 9/7: 1-3-5-7-9

Minor 7: 1-b3-5-b7
Minor 9: 1-b3-5-b7-9

Diminished 7th: 1-b3-b5-bb7
Half Diminished(min. 7 b5): 1-b3-b5-b7

These are a basis

Also, scales you should know:

Major, minor, Harmonic minor,

All modes of major:
Ionian
Dorian
Phrydgian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian(natural minor)
Locrian

Also, how to play jazz.

There are two parts, the melody and the chords. First, the melody is played, usually twice. Then the band members take turns taking solos, outlining the chord changes. After the solos, the melody is played again, and the song is pretty much over.

THIS IS A CRASH COURSE, IT TAKES YEARS TO STUDY JAZZ, I TYPED THIS IN 5 MIN.

If you want info on this, ask the google god. OR there's lessons right here on UG
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

^ Damn Skippy.

Yeah, I've been working on jazz for about eight months now, (with a teacher, once a week - and I still barely know anything, which should tip you as to the difficulty of it) and it's lots of fun. Chords are as posted above, lots of 9ths (# and b) abd 13ths, as well as some cool maj7 modulations.

As for scales, you can work with diminished licks, Dorian, basic minor pentatonic, mixolydian, and others as the mood takes you. Especially the altered scale, which is a bitch.
no