I've noticed that when I improvise, I tend to use only my three main fingers, and leave my pinky finger tucked down below my ring finger. I use it mainly for chords, and seem to forget about when I solo. I'm wondering if anybody else does this, because maybe its a bad habit that I need to break. I really want to get good with my pinky, though, so I've started practing with it. It's a bitch.
i've been there mate, and i still impvise using my pinky. just keep practicing, you'll get it. i dont think its a bad habit, but it will help later
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Practice scales with your pinky. Eventually, your runs and patterns will include it.

It will be a bitch at first and it sucks, but it's just something you have to do.
When Im doing bends, I always leave the pinky out of it, but if I'm doing some speedy runs, I'll use my pinky.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
well you should learn to use it. i dont really use it though unless i need to. i mostly use my three first fingers to solo but sometimes i use my pinky if i really need to, like if i need to do a hammer on but the last note i played was with my ring finger. so just work it in with scales and try to fit the pinky with your solos every once and a while. maybe try some 4 note per string scales and just go up and down. its a little weird at first but you'll get used to it and i find it helps to bring my pinly into play.
Yes, just practice scales with it and warm it up! Using you pinky in solos is very useful/convenient. Bending with your pinky while doing something else with your other 3 fingers is pretty cool-sounding as well.
I never think about it, I use it probably the same amount as my other fingers, besides my index finger. I do alot of fast runs and what not though, so I've gotten used to it, otherwise it just gets in the way.
this should help you guys break the habit of not using your pinky...
practise this alot and keep upping the tempo everytime u start feeling comfy wit the current tempo n pls use a metronome it really helps

e --10----13--12--13 x2 --7----10--8--10 x2 --8----12--10--12 x2

e --5----8--7--8 x2 --7----10--8--10 x2 -- 4----7--5--7 x2

--5----8--7--8 x2 e --7----10--8--10 x2 e --8----12--10--12 x2

--10----13--12--13 x2

just look at it as a single line... all on just the thin E string... if you want anymore tabs like these pm me... remember to keep up the pace ( i bolded some of em so u can seperate them easier) remember to use ur pinky!!!
Last edited by xtopher_aaron at Sep 20, 2006,
Good call. Think of it this way - playing with your pinky as well can only be beneficial.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Yes, just practice scales with it and warm it up! Using you pinky in solos is very useful/convenient. Bending with your pinky while doing something else with your other 3 fingers is pretty cool-sounding as well.

But you can **** up your pinky with it, because it isn't ment to be used for bending..
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
^ nah I bend with my pinky all the time and its fine, I just stick my ring finger behind it to help it bend...
Quote by xtopher_aaron
this should help you guys break the habit of not using your pinky...
practise this alot and keep upping the tempo everytime u start feeling comfy wit the current tempo n pls use a metronome it really helps

e --10----13--12--13 x2 --7----10--8--10 x2 --8----12--10--12 x2

e --5----8--7--8 x2 --7----10--8--10 x2 -- 4----7--5--7 x2

--5----8--7--8 x2 e --7----10--8--10 x2 e --8----12--10--12 x2

--10----13--12--13 x2

just look at it as a single line... all on just the thin E string... if you want anymore tabs like these pm me... remember to keep up the pace ( i bolded some of em so u can seperate them easier) remember to use ur pinky!!!

someone has been reading speed mechanics for lead guitar.
Nah, I use my pinky to bend most of the time - it's the most limbre, even though it's never fully healed from a fracture. Just takes repeated practice.
I know of guys that used their pinky to bend.. They've messed up their pinky by bending with it. They can't play guitar anymore, it justs hurts too much (yes, the other fingers suffer from it too)

You can use stretch your third finger a bit more and perhaps use your second finger as an assist
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
^ i have to think they were doing something wrong, my pinky is a vital staple to my guitar playing, i wouldn't be able to write the smoewhat intricate pieces that i have without it. i recommend starting slowly and working your way up, its one of those things where if you have it might as well use it, also think of all the extra things you can do with it, its the same difference between using 2 and 3 fingers
I had the same habit a while back. Just practice scales and such with your pinky. Trust me, it'll really help. You'll be able to play a lot faster and stretch your hand much farther.
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
Quote by z4twenny
^ i have to think they were doing something wrong, my pinky is a vital staple to my guitar playing, i wouldn't be able to write the smoewhat intricate pieces that i have without it. i recommend starting slowly and working your way up, its one of those things where if you have it might as well use it, also think of all the extra things you can do with it, its the same difference between using 2 and 3 fingers

I use my pinky for everything except bending. I don't miss out on that much, and I don't want to risk messing up my hand. Just a personal choice, but I'd regret it for the rest of my life if I wouldn't be able to play guitar anymore. Just thinking about it makes me sad
Elvenkindje

Elvenkindje
Quote by elvenkindje
I know of guys that used their pinky to bend.. They've messed up their pinky by bending with it. They can't play guitar anymore, it justs hurts too much (yes, the other fingers suffer from it too)

You can use stretch your third finger a bit more and perhaps use your second finger as an assist

I see Paul Gilbert bending with his pinky all the time. Your friend just might have tried to do huge bends when starting to bend with it rather than slowly working at it.
^Chances are elvens mate was bending from the fingers, instead of using the wrist for the majority of the force.

Assume you're doing a bend with your pinky for a minute here... if you're bending from the fingers, you only really have the pinky on the highest note supporting the bend - you might have other fingers there, but the majority of the force is on the pinky.

With bending from the wrist, you have your pinky, possibly three other fingers AND your entire forearm supporting the bend and sharing the load.

That's generally the cause of 'Dude, bending is hard on the fingers!' complaints, I find..