I've been looking at new guitars, and Im particularly attracted to the DC Les Pauls. Ive heard that Gibson's quality control lately sucks. How true is this? Will every new Gibson suck or what? And how long do these problems go back, like 2000? Im not exactly a Gibson guru
It's going to be the best guitar you've ever owned. Quality/workmanship is going to be better than any foreign crap you'll spend half as much for.
Dont get it in your head that Gibson's quality is slipping because a few people on here start threads about it. They're still right on. Of course there are a few factory defects out there, but thats every brand.
^^ Play a 1980's Les Paul and play an 05 or 06 model and you'll see the difference.
Quote by demea
It's going to be the best guitar you've ever owned. Quality/workmanship is going to be better than any foreign crap you'll spend half as much for.
Dont get it in your head that Gibson's quality is slipping because a few people on here start threads about it. They're still right on. Of course there are a few factory defects out there, but thats every brand.

@ Foreign crap.

Lawsuit MIJ Gibson copies > Current production Gibson's.
Quote by Eric 666
^^ Play a 1980's Les Paul and play an 05 or 06 model and you'll see the difference.

I have a:
2000 Les Paul Classic
1987 Les Paul Custom
2005 Les Paul Standard

What differences?
The Classic and Standard are exactly the same...60's slim neck profile as well as the Custom. The Custom plays better than both, though. Slightly different neck profile feel.
yup bunch of bull**** lol
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
I don't think the quality is actually bad, it's just they're so overpriced, and they're screwing over a few local businesses by goofy 'deals' and stuff.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
yes they do
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
The thing is, I can't find a DC LP around here, so I can't exactly go out and play one. I don't intend to buy one without first playing one, but that's beside the point. I just want to know if I buy a new, 06 Gibson from Sweetwater will it be drastically bad for the price?
Will every new Gibson suck? Not likely. The quality issues are real enough however, that I would definitely balk at buying one I was not able to play first. Off the rack, some are superb, some are atrocious, and some can be made really nice with some good setup.

I have a '05 Studio that seemed to only need a good setup, but after that was done the frets were uneven and needed some minor work. It's this type of crap that really causes people to rag on Gibson. When ponying up that kind of coin for a guitar, it should be absolutely flawless right out of the box.

It's great now, but was a source of aggravation in the beginning. I suspect that a lot of folks have experienced the same thing I have with Gibson's guitars, and if they have, their bitching is 100% justified.
YES. Gibson's quality is slipping. A few months ago I went and played around 15 Gibsons. 14 of them were disgraces to the name. The one that wasn't; A Les Paul Vintage Mahogany. It was the only one I thought was almost worth the price. The others that I played (including a Faded DC, LP Standards and Classics), were extremely lackluster. None were worth anywhere near the pricetag, all of them played poorly, and they didn't even sound very good.

My $150 Washburn WI14 plays better than any of the Gibsons I played that day except for maybe the Vintage Mahogany LP. That just shouldn't happen. A guitar as expensive as any Gibson should play amazingly, sound great and be perfect. Modern Gibsons, from my experience with them, don't fit any of those.

If this is a guitar you really want and will play for years, TRY IT FIRST. I can't stress that enough. If you have to drive an hour or two to get to a store that has one, make the trip. It will be worth it so that you know if you'll like it or not. $800 is a lot of money, and when buying a guitar for that much (or any amount, really) you should play it extensively first.

Also, I'm sure that many of you Gibson lovers will deny my claims, and frankly, I don't care. Thanks to the Gibsons I played, I'm a Fender man now.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by Xenn99
YES. Gibson's quality is slipping. A few months ago I went and played around 15 Gibsons. 14 of them were disgraces to the name. The one that wasn't; A Les Paul Vintage Mahogany. It was the only one I thought was almost worth the price. The others that I played (including a Faded DC, LP Standards and Classics), were extremely lackluster. None were worth anywhere near the pricetag, all of them played poorly, and they didn't even sound very good.

My $150 Washburn WI14 plays better than any of the Gibsons I played that day except for maybe the Vintage Mahogany LP. That just shouldn't happen. A guitar as expensive as any Gibson should play amazingly, sound great and be perfect. Modern Gibsons, from my experience with them, don't fit any of those.

If this is a guitar you really want and will play for years, TRY IT FIRST. I can't stress that enough. If you have to drive an hour or two to get to a store that has one, make the trip. It will be worth it so that you know if you'll like it or not. $800 is a lot of money, and when buying a guitar for that much (or any amount, really) you should play it extensively first.

Also, I'm sure that many of you Gibson lovers will deny my claims, and frankly, I don't care. Thanks to the Gibsons I played, I'm a Fender man now.

i cant really take you word on this type of subject when you own an MG...but i personally hate Gibson..there just not worth 1000-2000 for one...when you got brands like LTD, schecter that are makeing guitars with the same features as a gibby for 500-1000...(most of which look/play better IMO)..now i havent tryed many (only like 2) gibbys thats are from the late 70's..and i still didnt really like them.,..for the price...yeah they are pretty ok guitars...the price tag never matches the guitar though
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
Yeah, it seems these days that when you purchase a Gibson you seem to just be getting the name, fame of great guitarists like Slash, Les Paul (of course), and all the rest. I'd still love to have one though. In a vintage sunburst.......drool.
Quote by numbfinger
i cant really take you word on this type of subject when you own an MG...but i personally hate Gibson..there just not worth 1000-2000 for one...when you got brands like LTD, schecter that are makeing guitars with the same features as a gibby for 500-1000...(most of which look/play better IMO)..now i havent tryed many (only like 2) gibbys thats are from the late 70's..and i still didnt really like them.,..for the price...yeah they are pretty ok guitars...the price tag never matches the guitar though

I can't really take your word on this type of subject when you own a B.C Rich Bronze Series Warlock.
Love and hate - those are too strong emotions when it comes to curving piece of wood. My observation is, yes, Gibson could have been made lot better for the price they charge. Just talking plain instrument quality that you see first, before you plug in. Epi is made much better. And I am not speaking about those cheap crappy "vintage" plastic tuning pegs. I do not get how you can produce instrument that costs 2000 US$, and install tuning pegs for 2 dollars.
Take the best, f*ck the rest!
Mesa/Boogie
Last edited by LongBow at Sep 22, 2006,
Quote by JorisBlack
just play the guitar you're going to buy, don't buy it online or anything.

if you play the exact one you're planning on buying, you're safe.

Gibson QC has been horrible for the last 10 or 15 years. The majority of there guitars are very nice, and some of there guitars are very very nice, but because QC is low, they make a lot of lemons too. If you play it in the shop then you can know for sure if it feels right and sound right.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by LongBow
Love and hate - those are too strong emotions when it comes to curving piece of wood. My observation is, yes, Gibson could have been made lot better for the price they charge. Just talking plain instrument quality that you see first, before you plug in. Epi is made much better. And I am not speaking about those cheap crappy "vintage" plastic tuning pegs. I do not get how you can produce instrument that costs 2000 US$, and install tuning pegs for 2 dollars.

How do you figure Epiphones are made much better than Gibsons?
Please elaborate on this, I'm interested in your findings.
value for money is the reason i have the epi G-400 instead of a Gibson SG standard

the price is to do with that gibsons are made in america where labour rates are higher

to get a gibson you get a decent epi and add gibson pickups and change a bit of the hardware(wiring,tone pots etc) or just get an Epiphone elitist

or get a high range schecter or ibanez or fender, whatever appeals most to you

also the tuning pegs on my epi are grovers, so you cant say all epis are cheap run-offs of gibsons
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
Last edited by fire within at Sep 22, 2006,
Quote by pugnapugnapugna
I can't really take your word on this type of subject when you own a B.C Rich Bronze Series Warlock.

pwnt

^.................^
|..................|
|..................numbfinger
|
pugnapugnapugna
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Sigh. This topic has gotten SO tiresome.

The bottom line is never, ever, NEVER trust anyone else's opinion on a guitar but
your own. Particularly around here where the reasoning seldom has any basis in
facts or much experience. Also, it's such a personal choice. Make up your own
mind about it.

Having owned an LP, they are nice enough guitars. If you keep an open mind,
try different guitars, and don't just follow the crowd, I think you can do a lot
better. But, if you're really stuck on an LP, you should absolutely get one.
Tokai Gibson Copies are usually considered to be even better than the original Gibsons. It's not all all in the names .
High as tits
I have signed up here, among other reasons, to comment in this thread.

I am in Australia and have been looking around for a Les Paul for about a year now. I have played upwards of 50 models ranging from standards to customs, supremes and studios and I have to say I am not very impressed.

The general quality of all the guitars was good, as you would expect from such a famous (and expensive) brand, however, there were some consistent faults that simply shouldn't be on a guitar that is held to such a high standard. Fret dressing, quality of finish and playability were less than satisfactory on some and good at best on most.

I too have heard the rumors that Gibson have been letting their standards slip over the last 10-15 years but I never would have believed it until I had played all of these guitars.

I managed to have a good chat to two informed people; A prominent studio guitarist here in Australia and the 'Gclub' store manager in Tokyo (massive Gibson collection). Both of them admitted to noticing certain shortfalls over the years and unanimously agreed that 'older the better' is definitely the case.

I had the honor of playing guitars belonging to both of these people, an original 70's gold top here in Australia and an original 1980's LP custom (build number 5 I think!!) and they were LIGHT-YEARS ahead of anything from Gibson I had ever tried. They played like a dream; something I expected to experience from a LP.

On advice from the studio guitarist here in Australia, I tried the new PRS SC 250 and ended up buying the second one I played. Possibly the most emotional experience I have ever had with a guitar, it played effortlessly straight out of the box and can do anything a Les Paul or Strat can and more. As far as the build quality is concerned, any musician who has picked one of these things up will know that they are flawless in every regard. Smith's standards are now what Gibson's used to be.

Although I am still keeping my eyes open for a quality example LP, I highly recommend trying a PRS if you are shopping in this price range.

Here's hoping Gibson get their act together.
--------------------
Ibanez RG550

PRS SC 250
I haven't run into a Gibson Les Paul or SG that hasn't been well-made yet.

I personally think, with Gibson USA guitars, you should go to the store and try to find what you like and test it and if you like it, BUY IT!.

So it's best if you try the guitar first.

---

Now, I'm young, so I don't know if Gibson USA guitars had better quality during the 90s, from what I hear it was. But I personally think Gibsons quality isn't bad, it probably just got a little worse than before.

Quote by Mockingbird452
I haven't run into a Gibson Les Paul or SG that hasn't been well-made yet.

I personally think, with Gibson USA guitars, you should go to the store and try to find what you like and test it and if you like it, BUY IT!.

So it's best if you try the guitar first.

---

Now, I'm young, so I don't know if Gibson USA guitars had better quality during the 90s, from what I hear it was. But I personally think Gibsons quality isn't bad, it probably just got a little worse than before.

Your absolutely right there, frustrating thing being that prices have gone up -> quality has gone down.
--------------------
Ibanez RG550

PRS SC 250