is the melodeath scene in finland/sweden like the metalcore scene in america?

an overflow of bands with crappy musicians, lots of repitition, ****ty live performances, very bad vocalists, and just overall bad musicianship(also towards others). i think this because the majority melodeath bands come from there and all of the metalcore bands come from america.
Last edited by into the moat at Sep 19, 2006,
isn't finland where fish go on vaction. LMAOLAMOALMAOOALMALMOOALMAOMOAMLMAOMLMAOMLAMSOJADOIHADOHOADOADIGUYADVYQTYRQDSYTCYCYTQCDYTQCD, poop.

yeah pretty much i guess, ,etalcore is horrible, so is screamo.
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by jett12
bodom owns

hardly
But yes, the melodeth scene there is sorta like the hardcore scene here.
Pretty much. Never really thought about it. O_o
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
in a sense. although melodic death metal is good sometimes. metalcore, just about never good (the only metalcore band i like is between the buried and me)
between the barried in me is more harcore, melodic deathmetal is amazing, i dont see how peopel can compare it to metalcore unless u cant get past a growl which would mean u dont like any deathmetal which would mean ut taste in music matters not.
A lot of 'melodic' death is recycled garbage.

*goes off to vote against melodic death in the genre game*
Quote by jett12
between the barried in me is more harcore, melodic deathmetal is amazing, i dont see how peopel can compare it to metalcore unless u cant get past a growl which would mean u dont like any deathmetal which would mean ut taste in music matters not.

Your point is irrelevant, because threadstarter asked a question and we are just answering it. Nobody is comparing the 2 genres, we are comparing the similarities in SCENES. Think before you talk (or type).
Children of Bodom are considered melodic death metal? Last time I checked, if you want to be in a sub genre, you should probably be a part of the main genre. Melodic, yes...death metal, definitely not. However, Opeth are considered melodic death metal as well. They completely fit the bill and even throw a hefty dose of black metal in with their earlier stuff. That's for a different discussion anyway.
Not being from Sweden or Finland, I can't really say whether or not "melodeath" bands are on every other show on music television over there.
Me + Ibanez RGT42DXFM + Digitech GNX3000 + Crate GT1200H = Sex
Quote by kirk_rules!
Opeth are considered melodic death metal as well.
By who? MTV?

Progressive death up your ass!
I'm not really sure how to put this. I've seen them called melodic death metal various times on other forums (even the official Opeth forum) and they're number 10 on the top artists tagged melodic death metal on last.fm. Disregarding both of those, I'd deduct that they are melodic death metal still. They are heavily influenced by death metal (especially Morbid Angel) and they have melodic parts to pretty much every song. I always thought 2 and 2 equalled 4 but I guess not considering the fact that other bands are falsely called melodic death metal and they shape the genre.
I have seen the label "progressive death metal" used much more, yes, but that doesn't mean they aren't melodic as well.
Taken from their Myspace:
"...a darkly progressive combination of death metal and more subtle, melodic and acoustic elements..."
You're saying "oh, no! Opeth aren't melodeath!" as if melodic death metal is a bad thing just because you don't like other bands that are labelled by the same genre.
I like Celtic Frost. They're considered black metal. I don't really like the second wave black metal stuff. That's not to say Celtic Frost are not black metal.
Maybe not the best example but take it for what it's worth.
Last edited by kirk_rules! at Sep 20, 2006,
Quote by kirk_rules!
I'm not really sure how to put this. I've seen them called melodic death metal various times on other forums (even the official Opeth forum) and they're number 10 on the top artists tagged melodic death metal on last.fm. Disregarding both of those, I'd deduct that they are melodic death metal still. They are heavily influenced by death metal (especially Morbid Angel) and they have melodic parts to pretty much every song. I always thought 2 and 2 equalled 4 but I guess not considering the fact that other bands are falsely called melodic death metal and they shape the genre.
I have seen the label "progressive death metal" used much more, yes, but that doesn't mean they aren't melodic as well.
Taken from their Myspace:
"...a darkly progressive combination of death metal and more subtle, melodic and acoustic elements..."
You're saying "oh, no! Opeth aren't melodeath!" as if melodic death metal is a bad thing just because you don't like other bands that are labelled by the same genre.
I like Celtic Frost. They're considered black metal. I don't really like the second wave black metal stuff. That's not to say Celtic Frost are not black metal.
Maybe not the best example but take it for what it's worth.

Well, under the last FM death metal list, you can find (I seem to recall) Slipknot and Lamb of Gimp, none of which are even metal. And as for "...a darkly progressive combination of death metal and more subtle, melodic and acoustic elements...": Well, you bolded the word "melodic". Do note that the third word of the description is "Progressive". Why don't you bold that one as well? And it seems by your arguments here that just because a band is progressive, they can't be melodic. Which is DEAD WRONG.

EDIT: And if you've read 1984, you know that 2 + 2 can equal 5
Quote by kirk_rules!
However, Opeth are considered melodic death metal as well.

EDIT: yeah, does seem like many bands that have a few Melodic Death influences are labeled Metalcore. Meh.
Last edited by SGRocker0791 at Sep 20, 2006,
Off topic but I call Opeth Progressive Melodic Death Metal. And...

My Opinion > Being Correct
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
Well, under the last FM death metal list, you can find (I seem to recall) Slipknot and Lamb of Gimp, none of which are even metal. And as for "...a darkly progressive combination of death metal and more subtle, melodic and acoustic elements...": Well, you bolded the word "melodic". Do note that the third word of the description is "Progressive". Why don't you bold that one as well? And it seems by your arguments here that just because a band is progressive, they can't be melodic. Which is DEAD WRONG.

I didn't say they weren't progressive. Their biggest influences are actually 70's prog bands. I've seen them called both melodic death metal and progressive death metal that's all. I just don't understand why they can't be melodic death metal. I suppose you could go with what Metal Matt said.

EDIT: And if you've read 1984, you know that 2 + 2 can equal 5

Yeah, over here's a lot of Melodic Death bands, but definately not on everyday TV
there's way too much rappers and basic trend-going teenagers here and as media tries to please the major part of the people, they dont usually show Metal on TV and such

and this is from Finland, don't know how it goes on Sweden
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by jett12

First of all, if BTBAM should be excluded from ANY genre, it would be hardcore. Hardcore is bands like Gorilla Biscuits and Minor Threat. Second of all, what the **** did you even say?
Quote by fronkpies
Just search "japanese chicks with big fat dicks" on google and you'll see.
Quote by Alexander_BR
you have hot wannabe death metalhead chicks who listen to arch enemy and in flames in sweden

cause if there is, im moving there

We have the poser-chicks, yeah, but not that many are really hot. Just hot or pretty attractive.
Quote by Davidian
Thats good enough for me, move over!

Haha allright allright, you can come to, but you're not sleeping in my bed!

You're sleeping under it!
Quote by Bilzzard_of_Ozz
Haha allright allright, you can come to, but you're not sleeping in my bed!

You're sleeping under it!

Or just get a bunk bed? =P
What's wrong with bunk beds?

You two can be bunk-buddies!

Not to to be confused with butt-buddies, but you never know what will happen between room mates...

I like Melo-death. Not all of it, but some of it. Old In Flames, At the Gates, Kalmah?yada yada yada. Metalcore just blows.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
Personally, I like both metalcore and melodeath. At The Gates is frequently heard in the same hour as Lamb Of God in my house. Actually, I think Lamb Of God is the only metalcore I listen to....I listen to a bit of Trivium to laugh at Heafy and to hear the music, which is THAT bad. But overall, Melodeath wins...Arch Enemy, In Flames, Dark Tranquility, At The Gates, Children Of Bodom (for arguments sake), Quo Vadis, Kalmah, etc. I can hear the influence, but by no means are they the same. Metalcore and Melodeath
Quote by into the moat
an overflow of bands with crappy musicians,and just overall bad musicianship.

Those two I can't agree with you AT ALL. You can say what you want about metalcore but playing some shadows fall or All That remains is definetely not easy nor bad musicianship. It might be "bland" for some I personally like metalcore!
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Personally ,I Love Many melodic death acts (At the gates,old arch enemy,old in flames,Amon Amarth,Hypocrisy,etc..)
and no i dont think you can put them at the same place as ****ty metalcore.

And besides,Gothenberg scene died years ago...
Wolv
As far as new In Flames and Soilwork goes? Yeah, I'll agree with you there.

But bands like Dark Tranquillity, Arch Enemy, At The Gates, (late) Carcass etc. No effing way.