Page 1 of 2
In my school there is only i think 1 bass player is there a reason y every1 chooses the electric over the bass
do you mean why are there no upright players?

Because personally, if I was made of money, I'd buy an upright. But I'm poor and have a cheap electric.
they think they look cool or sumtin......iono but bass is better den electric
because chicks dig electric guitars and they dont know the difference :P
on a topic of how you would like to be buried...

Quote by Jacob6293
in a coffin, underground, next to my wife.

Quote by tylerishot
Me too. But only if she's alive.

At my school i know lke 2 people that play bass
Dimebag Is God!!!!

President Of The Official Dimebag Darrell Fan Club
PM Me to Join

Member #28 of the Official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

Because personally, if I was made of money, I'd buy an upright. But I'm poor and have a cheap electric.

my thoughts exactly
Yea the reason is because guitar became popular over the years...so everyone started to pick up the guitar...as myself i did it to, but i also play bass and drums.....and one kick ass bass player out there is the guy from TOOL. i recently seen them in concert and they kick ass..so does fieldy from KoRN!!!
at my old high school i knew of two people who played bass, me and a friend of mine. but at college there's a **** load of people who play bass, but there are still the thousand or so who play guitar.
GAS List:
Nothing
Quote by Iluvpowerchords

I think "electric" refers to "electric guitar".
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Chances are there are more people than you realize who play bass, depending on where you live though... We have a largely musicain filled school, with most playing electric guitar, but every once in a while I stumble on an electric bass player. Most upright players stick to that in orchestra... Most bassists are multi-instrumentalists in my experience and will say they play something else over bass...
The electric guitar has more mainstream popularity than the bass. In terms of mainstream bands only, there have been perhaps only a dozen or so bass players that have become household names over the years (guys like Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones, John Entwistle, Geddy Lee, and recently guys like Claypool and Flea). Further, there aren't that many "cutting-edge" bassists, who push the bass to its limits. For every Victor Wooten and Stu Hamm, there are guys like Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Jeff Beck, John Pertucci, and more.

Though there are still hundreds of thousands of bass players in the USA alone. You just have to know where to look.
Schecter Custom 4
Gibson SG Special Faded
Fender Classical Acoustic
I really dont know what the big deal about an electric is. A bass sounds manly, unlike an electrics puny high pitch sounds.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
id love a cello or upright but damn there expensive
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
theres quite a few bassists around here
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
because electric guitar is cooler (as in popular)
but bass is badass
but Chapman stick is the epitome in badassery
Because most untrained ears, like most music fans out there today, can't even hear the bass, all they hear are the stupid electric guitars.
But if you were to take the "lowly bass" away from their music, they would immediately hear and FEEL the difference.
There's a ratio which always has to be upheld by the idiots. For every drummer out there, you'll find 5 bassists, and for every 5 bassists, 50 guitarists. At least, that's the ratio I've experienced in England.
Quote by Sizzleby
I could watch your avatar for hours.
Quote by thewho65
It's official: apparently, the U.K. is a nation of trolls.

ORANGE AMPLIFIERS Endorser and Proud.
i know how you feel. im about this close to getting a bass and bass amp and learning because no one around here can play. but almost the whole school plays, played, has, or had a guitar at one point. but like 5 people have a bass and they cant play anything right or they only play punk.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
We have a fair few bassist's in my school....about 5-7. And about.......30+guitarist's.

Pfft, these kid's nowdays', no-one want's to have the funk. THE FUNK PEOPLE!! SAVE THE FUNK!!!!!!!
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Quote by jesusgonewrong
We have a fair few bassist's in my school....about 5-7. And about.......30+guitarist's.

Pfft, these kid's nowdays', no-one want's to have the funk. THE FUNK PEOPLE!! SAVE THE FUNK!!!!!!!

Your signature makes you look like a complete racist c u n t
Quote by Applehead
maybe it's a joke, like mine...
Really? At my school theres so many bassists I have barely seen anyone who plays guitar. Though in the shop you do tend to see more ppl looking at the guitars than basses...
Quote by OpposingForce
Really? At my school theres so many bassists I have barely seen anyone who plays guitar. Though in the shop you do tend to see more ppl looking at the guitars than basses...

Where do you live? the bermuda triangle yeah there aren't alot of us out there we are small breed bassists but its nice to come here and associate with fellow bretherin lol
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
i think you guys are looking at this the wrong way, its a good thing that there arent as many of us. bass is still growing, and its made more strides in the last 30 years than guitar has in 100 years, but i really hope it never gets as popular as guitar. less bass players means more work for us, and less competition.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by cabbaman98
theres quite a few bassists at my skwl but mpost of them used to paly uiatr and coodnt handle it and for bass was easier.

1. your typing makes you look unintellegent

2. your statement is saying that bass is an easier instrument to play than the guitar is

3. that is quite insulting
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Quote by crazypeanutman

2. your statement is saying that bass is an easier instrument to play than the guitar is

maybe he was stating the reason the people at his school switched to bass...
Quote by crazypeanutman

i was act doin th opposite. i was sayin tht they thought it is easier. and i no it isn';t belive me i've tried.

sorry if i offended you
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
maybe he was stating the reason the people at his school switched to bass...

sounds an awful lot more like a statement than a reason to me.......

regardless, i stand by #1.

/\/\ appologies then cabbaman, im just so sick of that argument popping up in this thread.
Quote by Mr. T
Last edited by crazypeanutman at Sep 21, 2006,
Why do people think playing electric (or acoustic for that matter) guitar still adds babe-magnetism? Everyone and they brother and his retarded one eared monkey plays guitar, and plenty of them are single. It's too cliche these days to play guitar to get women.
i live in pensacola Florida and me and 1 other person in the school(in my grade atleast) is bass and there r like 50 guitar players
Quote by Applehead

Quote by 4string-tsurigi
maybe it's a joke, like mine...

Yes it is.
Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
^ Dude, joke or not that's offensive. If you care about offending people at all, you should remove it. Put something funny up there that isnt racist?
Quote by RIC4003
Where do you live? the bermuda triangle yeah there aren't alot of us out there we are small breed bassists but its nice to come here and associate with fellow bretherin lol

Lol. Ya its both funny and extremely annoying when they try to play "air bass", pointing there hand downward and moving their fingers around and trying to go "do do doo do" in a low voice.
i know about 3 or 4 other bass players, and about 20 guitarists, mabe 5 or 6 drummers.

for one, ppl can't hear bass. since its almost always too perfectly matched with drums and guitars to stand out much.

one thing that bugs me is when ppl complain about the lack of popularity of bass, say that guitar is popular because its more mainstream, but totally rag on a mainstream bass player like mike dirnt when he's trying to show the world theres more than just guitar drums and vocals.
Yeah, the only bassists around here are upright players, which is cool, but not for trying to start a band. We have people who know their theory but don't play guitar/bass/drums/etc. and people who can play but have no idea with theory. Very few(me and a few buddies) know both. People tend to think guitar is more of a challenge(pfft) so they take guitar.
Page 1 of 2