So I've become EXTREMELY interested in Ceriatone's Plexi copies over the last few days. They're extremely affordable and I wouldn't mind just popping one into a Plexi head cabinet. Only thing is that I really dunno which Plexi to get and what the differences are. My choices are the Plexi 50 1987 Lead (1987X?), JTM45 and Plexi 100 Superlead. These are some major competition to the JCM900 I might be getting next week. I love Plexis, but I just don't know what to get. What are the main differences, tonally and in term of features? Should I get one over a JCM900? Could I just buy a head cab and pop the chassis in there? Give me all the info you can!
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
http://www.ceriatone.com/

EDIT: why are these things so cheap, they look good, reviews are good, do i need to be an electronics geek to assemble one or what? if i get complete, does that mean no assembly is required or what?
Last edited by d_byrne23 at Sep 20, 2006,
Man those look sweet. I would definately consider picking up a super lead 100 kit. BTW The superlead is one of my all time favourite amps. If i'm correct, it was the amp of choice for jimi.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
shipping is a lot though, but still obv with the price of the amps themselves being so cheap its not that bad, these things come from asia, would u pay duties on that? im assuming if yes the cost would be unbelievable
Just go for it man, if you want a Plexi that much, get it! And if you don't like it too much, sell it (I'm sure the price won't go down too much)

But have you actually played a Plexi?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Just go for it man, if you want a Plexi that much, get it! And if you don't like it too much, sell it (I'm sure the price won't go down too much)

But have you actually played a Plexi?

Yeah, a while back. I played a used one at the Guitar Center. I honestly don't know which one, so could someone tell me the differences tonally between the different amps? And what is the trick where you jump the inputs? How does that work?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Well i have a JCM900 and i liek it pretty much, to modern sounds for me though (but im gonan put a 12AY7 in the Phase Inverter to get more classic sound) and ive played three Plexis (and original JMP and two reissues) and they are awesome. Remeber Plexi's doesn't haev a gain control, so you need to crank them! I will get an 18 watter TMB Ceriatone kit for my bday if my parents can afford one!

Well what stuff do you play? The JCM900 has better high gain, but the Plexi rapes the JCM900 in crunch and classic sounds.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^Haha, I'm really considering one of them for the future, it's too damn perfect, and for so cheap! And the reviews are immense for it, everyone says it's the best amp they've ever heard and it gets the perfect tones.
Don't be afraid to care"

^I was wondering the same thing, I think there's some websites that do that type of thing.
Don't be afraid to care"

hmmm
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
On ebay there's usually empty head cabinets for JMPs and JCMs and such

And wow, Nik(the owner) will make the amp for you! That's amazing for such low prices!
Last edited by llanafreak44 at Jun 21, 2007,
If you know how to use a saw and a drill you could build your own cabinet for cheap.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Make sure you look at the shipping prices, because they are located in Malaysia
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Quote by Gabel
Well i have a JCM900 and i liek it pretty much, to modern sounds for me though (but im gonan put a 12AY7 in the Phase Inverter to get more classic sound) and ive played three Plexis (and original JMP and two reissues) and they are awesome. Remeber Plexi's doesn't haev a gain control, so you need to crank them! I will get an 18 watter TMB Ceriatone kit for my bday if my parents can afford one!

Well what stuff do you play? The JCM900 has better high gain, but the Plexi rapes the JCM900 in crunch and classic sounds.

+1
Get the Ceriatone, man. You can get a 900 later if you don't like the Super Lead.
My Mojave Scorpion/load box/power amp setup gets the best of both sounds. I'll post it again if anyone's interested. Sounds just like early EVH. Unbelieveably great tone at any volume. Run the Ceriatone like that, & WOW.
As far as a housing for it, I believe Mr. Hankey's newly acquired Bassman has a beautiful housing that's worth a look ( if my memory is correct). That thing just REEKS of class!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Why did someone revive this thread?

It's from the days I had a JCM900 (before the Plexi!)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Why did someone revive this thread?

It's from the days I had a JCM900 (before the Plexi!)

Damn it, Gabel! Why don't I ever read the dates on these threads?!
Next time I'll look first. Dumb.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Ambulance X
Yeah, a while back. I played a used one at the Guitar Center. I honestly don't know which one, so could someone tell me the differences tonally between the different amps? And what is the trick where you jump the inputs? How does that work?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5xPfhFb7AM
That guy talks about jumping the inputs (go thru until you see him plug a cable from one input directly to another input)