Interviewer:

At the end of From Hell to the Unknown, I guess it?s a fake interview. But in it was the denial that black metal was the name of a music genre. It?s strictly a name for an album. But throughout the life of Venom that was a changing statement. One day black metal is music, and another day black metal is just simply an album name. So what is it today?

Cronos

I?ve never heard that argument, really. If somebody says, where does the name ?black metal? come from? It was a term that I created before we actually wrote the song. This is the honest way that it is. Being a ****in? big fan of metal music and rock and everything else, I?m also a big Van halen fan, and heard that he was doing a guitar solo for Michael Jackson. ****in? hell! Heard the song... I think it was ?Beat It?. I just went ?Duh!? You know? Why is a ****in? rock ****in? legend like that getting involved with ****? The next thing I see is in the rock press, where you?ve got the heavy metal charts. You?ve got #1 with Michael Jackson with ?Beat It? just simply because Eddie Van Halen had done a solo. So I remember goin? into one of the early Venom rehearsals... I was furious. I was like, **** this! We?re NOT heavy metal. **** this! No way! I don?t want to be in the same chart as that! We started playin? with words.. like we were longhaired punks. We were metal punk. Then we were power metal. And by the time we actually sat down with the press and they were sayin? ?Right, what?s happenin? with this, that, and the other?? I was like, ?Yeah. Look, I?m ****in? sick of this ****! ****in? listen to me now! This is not ****in? ****! This is ****in? metal, this, mate! This is in your face. This will kick your ****in? eyes out! You know? Don?t **** around with this! This is black metal! This is power metal! This is speed metal. This is thrash metal! This is death metal! This is will kill you, this ****, man! **** off!' I was just so angry. I was just so pissed off. I just thought, NO WAY! So that?s where that was all born from. Yeah, we then wrote the song Black Metal. We thought, let?s describe Venom in a song. Black metal is describin? Venom. The actual genre that ****in? followed was simply... I mean, we formed a band that we wanted to see. We wanted a band to look like Venom.. So what the kids obviously did, our fans, went, ?We would like to be like that as well?, and they took little bits out of Venom like we would?ve taken little bits out of Sabbath and Judas Priest and ****in? KISS and whoever influenced us.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Yea im conviced.
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
Um, was the whole point of that to say that the origin of the term black metal came from Venom? I don't think anyone would argue that.
Don't analyze my beliefs & I won't pick out the flaws in yours
Everyone knows it comes from Venom, but people don't understand howE it originated, or what 'black metal' originally meant.

Consequently, Cronos is just funny and overly British so it makes for a good read.

Quote by Magero
btw, how was Venom's album "Metal Black".....anything near their classic stuff?
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his
Very interesting, i got a mate i argue with about this **** all the time.

In my opinion the album "Black Metal" doesn't fit into the genre 'Black Metal', it's NWOBHM, am I correct in thinking this, or does Venom actually fit into the genre 'Black Metal'?
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Satan

Shut the fuck up, go the fuck away.

Quote by Magero
Quote by zzzzzzzzzzzzz
Satan

*sips wine*
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
If somebody came here and and would have written a post that looked like this, some people would get annoyed...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Quote by duncang
*sips wine*

AHAHAHAHAHAH

The interview is pretty ****in cool. The brit-talk is always good for a laugh or two and the blind rage reminds me of myself whilst i go into a frenzy. great stuff.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Sep 20, 2006,
Quote by zzzzzzzzzzzzz
IF it wasn't Lucifer, who was it? Enlighten me please.

You. You invented black metal. Go and tell your friends.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
haha. geordie pride!

i remember reading this a while back. pretty interesting on the situation at the time.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
AHAHAHAHAHAH

The interview is pretty ****in cool. The brit-talk is always good for a laugh or two and the blind rage reminds me of myself whilst i go into a frenzy. great stuff.

Haha yea that most likely the thing good VH1 has ever done.
Quote by DBS_KICKS_ASS
i still dont see how the genre became what it is today. i know where the term originated, but not the actual music that is labeled black metal.

Some Norgies drunk on virgin's blood and vodka messing around in a garage with inverted crucifixes on the wall, maybe? I don't know, just guessing.
I have a question:

Are Black Sabbath to be considered 'heavy metal' or are they to be considered hard rock that gave birth to the heavy metal genre? (This question basically ignores all other origins such as Deep Purple, Uriah Heep, plus I don't want to hear comments that they are "doom metal").

Two arguments:
1. They are to be considered 'heavy metal' through the lens of 2006, and all the metal that has come since the late 60s/early 70s, because they had ''that first dark tone" to their music; or
2. That the band heavily influenced and inspired the birth of the genre, but was not heavy metal, much alike Venom, their release of Black Metal, and the Black Metal genre that followed.
As a result of listing <><'s reports I was banned.

Quote by God Book
#2. Banned by theguitarist (11/03/2006) - X D

Promise to shorten your sig and you'll be unbanned. This is what you get, lol.

HA!
Quote by zzzzzzzzzzzzz
IF it wasn't Lucifer, who was it? Enlighten me please.

Read the first post.
Quote by guitar?

BTW do not say n-i-g-g-e-r. I know some one who said lets go buy some snickers and some black guy punched him in the face.
IF Black Sabbath are Metal then so are a few other bands, namely King Crimson, which is certainly not metal, merely progressive/rock.

They may have 'birthed' metal. However they are not; in my opinion, metal.
Ok I'll ask DBS_KICKS_ASS's question formally. Was the current/most well known incarnation of Black Metal (i.e. Immortal's version of Black Metal etc) a spontanious movement (such as the New Wave of British Heavy Metal) or was it a alternating evolution between bands?

^I mean did Venom release their album and some other band had come up with a more extreme version of Progressive Metal/ incorparated Death Metal styles into atmospheric Progressive Metal, and then another band topped them in the "Black-ness" factor and thus 'earned' the term Black Metal (which explains Venom's apparent lack of similarities to the newer Black Metal bands).

Oh and Black Sabbath are and were very much Metal. Its just at the time of them starting out they were more (early) Heavy Metal while by todays standards as far as evolution of the genre they are just Metal but more on the Doomy side (as in heavily influenced ALL metal bands after them but more so Doom bands).

Bands like Led Zeppelin were (regardless if you agree or not) regarded as "Heavy" Metal compared to other bands in their era (at least coming from the Rock/Mainstream crowds), while not really encompassing the classic 'Metal sound' we (should) all know.
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Sep 21, 2006,
Venom, Bathory and Celtic Frost+Norwegians who took their lyrics seriously and brought their music to a more extreme level+Coldness= Black Metal
All the ****s make me laugh.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
can i get a tl;dr up in this bitch?

A mod makes a joke and hi-jacks a thread...

Quote by paintITblack39
usually, this is often discussed in the political threads ...

let's change the question: are you pro or antti niemi?
Quote by Monkey_Bassist

Oh and Black Sabbath are and were very much Metal. Its just at the time of them starting out they were more (early) Heavy Metal while by todays standards as far as evolution of the genre they are just Metal but more on the Doomy side (as in heavily influenced ALL metal bands after them but more so Doom bands).

There were other bands, at the time, which were just as heavy, dark, or menacing yet they are not considered metal, Why should Sabbath be?

Just because they are an influence does not mean they're metal.

I personally can't stand seeing people say Black Sabbath are teh mettlez LOLOL because I don't really think they are true metal. They fall into that hard rock/heavy metal category which is vaguely metal/birthed metal, yet at the same time they are not metal.
^ Name another band from that era that has anywhere near the evil atmosphere that Black Sabbath created in Electric Funeral or Black Sabbath.

Sabbath = metal
you = fail
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction