ok so im trading in my krank revolution for one of these. now ide like to know the difference between all the peaveys and the dual rectifier. i can do a straight up trade for one of the peavey or pay a 300$ difference for a mesa and ide like to know what UG thinks is a better choice. is the dual rectifier better than the peaveys tonewise? most of the stuff ive heard their pretty similar so i dont see why i should pay more for a rectifier.

EDIT:i play melodic death metal/shred/progressive shred(paul gilbert stuff)
Last edited by into the moat at Sep 20, 2006,
Quote by into the moat
ok so im trading in my krank revolution for one of these. now ide like to know the difference between all the peaveys and the dual rectifier. i can do a straight up trade for one of the peavey or pay a 300$ difference for a mesa and ide like to know what UG thinks is a better choice. is the dual rectifier better than the peaveys tonewise? most of the stuff ive heard their pretty similar so i dont see why i should pay more for a rectifier.

EDIT:i play melodic death metal/shred/progressive shred(paul gilbert stuff)

The difference between the 5150 and the 6505 is NOTHING. Theyre exactly the same (save for the name of course). The 5150II's and 6505+'s have an extra pre-amp tube for (some say better cleans but meh) a little extra headroom.

Lemme just say that both amps (5150/6505 and the Dual Recto) are AWESOME. Theyre some of the best at what they do...BUT they sound COMPLETELY different.

We here seriously cant do this for you because its a preference thing. Youll have to go play them and decide for yourself.

Having said that, Id go with the 5150/6505. Its a pretty straight forward amp...as opposed to the Mesa where it will take you months to find the right sound for you.

Either way you cant lose really...not in my book anyways! Theyre both just too awesome...you gotta go try em for yourself!
the 5150 is the EVH sig amp, now discontinued. it also had a another form, the 5150 II, which is/was a 5150 with an additional pre amp tube, giving it less gain (though some discussion has been had to whether it add or subtracts gain) but more clean headroom, but it still has more gain then you will ever need or use, it also has a separate not shared EQ compared to the 5150.

the 5150 and the 5150II were discontinued in 2005 and replaced with the 6505 and 6505+ respectively. these are in essence the same amp with a different number on the front.

the mesa boogie rectifier is a amp you would have heard quite often. it's probably the most popular amp for modern rock and radio bands, such as nickelback, funeral for a friend and fall out boy (pukes)

the sound? think sad but true by metallica. big, heavy and lotsa balls. this is in essence the sound.

all of these amps are good amps, though some will argue the mesa is more up market and 'better', you should try each and make up your own mind.

the sounds? the 6505 is pretty well THE melodic death metal amp. it has that sound, think at the gate, in flames ETC.

the rectifier? hmm. i could talk about how good it is, or how every man, his dog and most notably his left testicle have/want the rectifier sound. it is a individual sound, just like the individuality of a Marshall. basically people will always know you have a recto. which is funny, because a few people that bought rectos on here whine because they can't get a sound other than that of a recto out of a recto.

both of these amps in peoples opinions have subpar cleans, which may not matter to you.

also, for the price of a recto, i'd suggest looking into more boutique amps, such as ENGL and Framus. most notably, the Framus Cobra and the ENGL Powerball. though judging by the 6505 and the recto you'd want a darker tone, so the Framus should do it for you. its supposedly like a recto, except with tighter low end, and more marshall like highs.

so there you go, my two cents, feel free to make up your own mind.

EDIT: oh goddamn it how the fu ck did i get beat?
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by joel_grieve
hmm. i could talk about how good it is, or how every man, his dog and most notably his left testicle have/want the rectifier sound.

Honestly? I've played a good number fo rectos. I'd take a 6505 or 6505+ over it any day. I've never been satisfied with a recto, and this is with various guitars (Jacksons, my Jem, Ikons). Always sounded too thin to me. Tried a 6505 on loan for a show, was floored by it, and would've bought it if I didn't feel I needed a clean tone ever again.

As has been said, 6505+ = extra tube, with debated effects. Mainly, it adds a slight bit more tone to the clean channel (still horrible), and allows for a bit more headroom, though the amp naturally has a good bit of it.

For what you do, I'd take a 6505 every time.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
i'd prefer the framus
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
It sounds like an already negotiated deal with a guitar shop, and not a sale. It's either he gets one or the other, without room to shop.

Quote by Magero
ah, good point, but me personally if i had the choice, i'd go the framus.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Spynal
and would've bought it if I didn't feel I needed a clean tone ever again.

As has been said, 6505+ = extra tube, with debated effects. Mainly, it adds a slight bit more tone to the clean channel (still horrible), .

Am I the only one who can get a decent, usable clean tone out of a 6505? Please tell me. Its anoying. A lot of my better, slower, 'cleaner' songs were written on my old 6505...
i wouldn't know, but maybe you're the only one who doesn't hate its cleans?
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I got about two hours in on a Revolution One when I was last in Austin and I don't actually see a need to ditch it. I'd definitely take it over a Mesa (again, I'm a reknowned Mesa disenthusiast), but if you want the sickest distortion available, definitely grab a 6505 and go to town.

I had one on loan while my Genz Diablo was in the shop, and even the gain junkie tham I am couldn't turn the gain past like 6. It was seriously sick.

Quote by Magero
Quote by joel_grieve
i wouldn't know, but maybe you're the only one who doesn't hate its cleans?

Maybe thats it. Would the bias mod have anything to with it?
Quote by kurdtkobaign

it'd defianatley sound warmer.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by kurdtkobaign

Bias mod helps clean it up a bit, but even then I don't hear anything stunning about it. It certainly has never founded "Fixed" after a bias, but it's the best solution available to it.

Quote by Magero
Quote by Spynal
I got about two hours in on a Revolution One when I was last in Austin and I don't actually see a need to ditch it. I'd definitely take it over a Mesa (again, I'm a reknowned Mesa disenthusiast), but if you want the sickest distortion available, definitely grab a 6505 and go to town.

I had one on loan while my Genz Diablo was in the shop, and even the gain junkie tham I am couldn't turn the gain past like 6. It was seriously sick.

geeze, I was beginning to think I was the only one on these forums that liked the Rev 1 I played. My friend has one, and it reminded me of a pissed off Mark IV in the gain department. The cleans were meh, but damn, the Krank channel was pretty brutal, and it stayed nice and tight thru most of it's range. His PRS Tremonti and LTD SRC-607B both screamed throuugh it, but they have good pups too.

TS, it boils down to preference between the 5150/DR, they are both great amps IMO. What is it about the Rev that's making you want to trade it in BTW?
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
the basic difference between the amps is, the peavy will be brighter sounding while the dual will sound darker, i never got into peavy amps, i tried forever but couldnt get a good clean tone, but i never tried the 5150II, never got the chance, with the dual i had a pretty good clean tone by pulling back on the bass and switching to my neck pickup, the distortion was great for me, really sick and bottom heavy, i was playing ryhtm/lead in a hardcore band at that time and it suited me, i suggest trying all the amps out though because mostly its personal preference
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
the peavy is fairly dark...
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by dertjoe
the basic difference between the amps is, the peavy will be brighter sounding while the dual will sound darker

Cois?

Exact opposite. 6505 = darker than 50 Cent.

Quote by Magero
If you're getting an amp worth that price, go and play them for your damn self.

But basically all the Peaveys are virtually the same, and the Dual Recto is a Dual Recto.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Spynal
Cois?

Exact opposite. 6505 = darker than 50 Cent.

HA HA lmao. nice dude. gimme five.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Death Metal eh................. Peavey...
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
MELODIC death metal mister punkmetal. jeez, kids these days.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
we're speaking of the eddie van halen signature amp right, at least when it was first introduced, and eddie had preference to bright amps if i remember, but when i played a 5150 it was rather bright but i had mids mixed in, i diddnt really scoop it
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
^Sorry MISTER GRIEVE !!!!

Ok........ MELODIC DEATH METAL FROM THE ICEY ICEY COLD NORTH !!!!

................. Peaveys, the 5150 or 6505 ones..............
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by dertjoe
we're speaking of the eddie van halen signature amp right, at least when it was first introduced, and eddie had preference to bright amps if i remember, but when i played a 5150 it was rather bright but i had mids mixed in, i diddnt really scoop it

No one is entirely sure what Eddie did, but he definitely did not play a stock 5150, some say it was gutted with Soldano parts.

But seriously, what is wrong with some of you people, the 5150/6505 is incredibly dark sounding, you obviously have never played one if you claim it's bright.
get a god dam engl this guy from a band that i know has one and its so sick
ibanez rg 270

spider III 210
Quote by codybcool
No one is entirely sure what Eddie did, but he definitely did not play a stock 5150, some say it was gutted with Soldano parts.

But seriously, what is wrong with some of you people, the 5150/6505 is incredibly dark sounding, you obviously have never played one if you claim it's bright.

i find the 5150s bright, i find mesa and vht really dark amps, i played the peavey and it had a real warm pop metalish tone. ive never played a 5150II or 6505, i find the XXX much darker but i admit i liked the XXX better because of the clean tone,
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by R_H_C_P

But basically all the Peaveys are virtually the same, and the Dual Recto is a Dual Recto.

lmao Thats what I said.!
Quote by R_H_C_P

i just wanted the forums opinion. chillax dude