Hey guys,

I'm putting a strat together and i have narrowed my pick up choices down to either Fender Texas Specials or Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hots.

im going for a nice bluesy tone obviously. Here is the compostion of the guitar its self:
'87 Kramer Strat body in a nice creamy vintage white (alder construction)
Pots, switches, and wiring from Fender SRV sig. strat
Fender maple neck and fret board.

I am basically wondering if anyoen has any experience with the duncans and if they are worth $80 a piece.

thanks
So do you have anything interesting to play?
Before settling on either of those, check out www.sdpickups.com. HIS pickups are worth $80 a piece. He custom winds them for you, then will rewind them if you're not satisfied. And his specialty is definitely high output Texas blues oriented single coils.
Hi, I'm Peter
Ok, I think ill check his stuff out. Still could use some comments on the duncan antiquity if someone has used them.
Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, or the Antiquities
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Well i am really starting to like sdpickups.com, aside from the fact that they are 240 bucks a set they seem like they would be perfect.
get the texas specials, some of the best pickups fender makes...SRV knew how to get the tone and you wont find the texas blues sound any better than what he had
Quote by Eclectia
Well i am really starting to like sdpickups.com, aside from the fact that they are 240 bucks a set they seem like they would be perfect.

Well, that's $80 a pop, like the Seymour Duncans you were considering.

And SRV had custom wound pickups - not only traditional single coils but also lipstick tube pickups. The Fender Texas Special is a mass produced attempt to get close to SRV's sound, but they aren't the ones (or even directly modeled on the ones) he used in his No. 1 Strat. Also, don't forget that he had dozens of amps at his disposal, including a Dumble.
Hi, I'm Peter
yea, srv made them with fender, but he left something out, my guitar teacher has a real srv strat and it has a little something more than just the texas specials, but the texas specials sound really good. and you dont have to pay boteque prices for them
Quote by sempri_fi
yea, srv made them with fender, but he left something out, my guitar teacher has a real srv strat and it has a little something more than just the texas specials, but the texas specials sound really good. and you dont have to pay boteque prices for them

That's the classic pickup schtick. DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan do the same thing for the pros that use their pickups. Yeah, you can buy an Evo for the bridge on your Ibanez, but you'll never *quite* get Vai's sound (granted that you can perfect his technique - good luck on that one) because they custom wind those pickups for the pros and sell cheaper versions to the general public. That's why I'm going to go with the Stephens Design custom single coils when I get the scratch together - I'd much prefer a set that was wound specifically with me and my gear in mind.
Hi, I'm Peter
Yea, i agree. Besides, stevie never actually played texas specials, he was just the inspiration for them. After browsing the website, i really like his stuff and will probably put some in my tele as well.