i have this grid that tells you what chords are in each key, i was just wondering that if a chords has a 7 and a 9 eg Bm7 in the key i just replace Bm with a Bm7
Say what? I don't understand the question.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
I don't really understand what you're asking. Are you asking if you can have a B7 or B9 in a chord progression in the key of B?
And have the chord still in the key? Is that what you're asking?

If it is what you're asking, then no. B7 is B D# F# A. A is not in the key signature, it is a flat 7. And since B9 is just B7 with the C# on top, then B9 is not in the key, either.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Of course you can do it, its your music do what you want, alot of songs stay in the same key and stick to those chords, and alot of songs have chords in them that dont stay true to the Key of the song.

But if it works and sounds good to you why not?

IMO

Daryl
Quote by daryldo
Of course you can do it, its your music do what you want, alot of songs stay in the same key and stick to those chords, and alot of songs have chords in them that dont stay true to the Key of the song.

But if it works and sounds good to you why not?

IMO

Daryl

He was asking a theory question. "Play what sounds good" isn't a theory answer.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Gitar crazy
so..... in the key of B....you can play a b yer so can i change it to a B7 or B9
If you're in B major, playing B7 is theoretically incorrect. It may sound good, but the lowered seventh is not in B major. Now, in most circumstances, you can replace B7 with B9, B11, or B13. There are a few scales that alter the 9th, 11th, and 13th, but for the most part, those should work.

Now, the converse is true. If you have B7, you can replace it with B and it will be theoretically correct. You will lose the tension caused by the b7, but you are theoretically correct.