So, I just read that there's going to be a talentshow here at my school pretty soon, and I'm considering entering. Now, this is where I need help. I've thought about the idea of playing a solomedley, three or four solos in a row, and I need some help to

1: Find some decently easy solos, that sound awesome. I'd prefer metalsolos by the way.

2: Some tips and help to learn them properly.

Help is much appreciated, since the grand prize is 2000 SEK.

Also, please note that I've been only playing for 9 months, so I'm not that great.. Yet.
Yes, because there are so many easy metal solos that sound awesome

You might have to accept that being a 9 month guitarist talent shows aren't really within your grasp at the moment. I don't mean to say you shouldn't enter and certainly don't mea to say you'll never be any good but 1) playing a bunch of solos one after the other will be dull for any non-guitarists in the audience 2) as I say, the point of metal solos is speed and technique. At nine months, the things your average guitarist won't possess are, amongst others, technique and speed.

If you do want help, I'll try and give it to you. What's the fastest/most technical thing you can play so far? And when's the talent show?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
^listen too this man...... also do not exacgerate what you can play coz otherwise we will tell u a hard song and then you will be stuck up **** creek without a paddle
Can I Play With Madness is really quite easy, and i think it sounds awesome.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by Strat_Monkey
Yes, because there are so many easy metal solos that sound awesome

You might have to accept that being a 9 month guitarist talent shows aren't really within your grasp at the moment. I don't mean to say you shouldn't enter and certainly don't mea to say you'll never be any good but 1) playing a bunch of solos one after the other will be dull for any non-guitarists in the audience 2) as I say, the point of metal solos is speed and technique. At nine months, the things your average guitarist won't possess are, amongst others, technique and speed.

If you do want help, I'll try and give it to you. What's the fastest/most technical thing you can play so far? And when's the talent show?

Easy metalsolo that sounds awesome: Well, Thin lizzy is referred to as classical metal right? The first solo of Black Rose is quite easy (Why didn't I think of that before?!)
Well, I can always try, right? It's worth a try, atleast I think so.

1: Perhaps, but so can hearing a person sing for a long time :P

2: Not always though.. Some bands have a bit slow solos aswell, like Iron Maiden pre-Janick Gers (The first Strange World solo for example). Well, those things can always be enhanced, right?

Most technical.. Hm... Not sure.. I can play some parts of Joe Satrianis Why, the slow part of the Stranger in a Strange Land solo and the first Black Rose solo. However, I haven't got a problem with finding time to practice, I've got a lot of free time and I don't mind spending that time playing.

The talentshow is a few months ahead, to last date to enter is the 10th of November..

Thank you .
Quote by frenchyfungus
Can I Play With Madness is really quite easy, and i think it sounds awesome.

Cheers, I'll give it a go then
Quote by xtopher_aaron
dude, walk out on stage playin Bad Horsie by Steve Vai, u'll knock em dead man...

Bad Horsie.. That rings a bell.. Isn't his signature wahpedals named Bad Horsie?
^yes it is.

But, no offence, you're not ready for Bad Horsie yet
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by frenchyfungus
^yes it is.

But, no offence, you're not ready for Bad Horsie yet

None taken. I had a look at it, it seemed almost dull to be honest. *expects bashing*
Last edited by Sjusovaren at Sep 20, 2006,
are you a maiden fan/> (looks at ug name)? Maiden songs are fantastic for really melodic and very easy guitar solo's, in fact almost every maiden riff is based around the minor scale, and some of the Janick Gyers (spelling :S) stuff is absolutely awesome. You could wow ppl with that. Blood brothers isn't bad for heroic and very easy riffs.
Marty
Quote by suicidalmoose
are you a maiden fan/> (looks at ug name)? Maiden songs are fantastic for really melodic and very easy guitar solo's, in fact almost every maiden riff is based around the minor scale, and some of the Janick Gyers (spelling :S) stuff is absolutely awesome. You could wow ppl with that. Blood brothers isn't bad for heroic and very easy riffs.

Yup, I'm a Maidenfan

Well, Adrian is my favourite guitarist, I can really hear in his solos that he really worked them out before recording them, and they have such awesome melodies in them which really gives you goosebumps because they're so good.

I guess I will learn Janicks Blood Brothers solo properly, I used to fiddle about with it back when I only had an acoustic.

By the way, today I got the idea of perhaps atleast having a go at what is labeled as "Joe Satriani - Top Gun theme" , yet I can't find a GuitarPro tab of it, even though I used to have one.. (weird) Would it be a good idea to track one down?