Say, why do amps with ultra low gain..... Fenders etc, use 6l6s but Hi gainers like Dual Rec, 6505, Powerball, use them also ??

Why do mid gained amps........ marshall, orange, hiwatt, etc use EL34s ???

Are KT88s capable of crunch ??

If I like Van Halen riffing, Meshuggah rhythm, and Paul Gilbert shred at the same time, which tube should I get in WHAT amp >??<??>
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Well the overall design of an amp really determines it's characteristics, otherwise all amps with certain tubes would sound the same... they don't...

Certain tubes have certain characteristics which make them more suitable for high gain or for less gain, but if you find a nice tube amp which has the overdrive you need then you don't need look any further. I think 5881 tubes have quite high output and EL34's are supposed to have high outputs as well. I'm not sure though, I'm sure powerfreak or someone else could clarify it.
How about the mid outputs ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
either or.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^ ??

The thing is,.............. what's the connection between a Fender Twin and a Mesa Tri Recto ??

Other than both being built in the states and **** like that...................

??

Some say marshalls (which reps the Brit tone) get their tone out of EL-34s........ but...

Still Got The Blues - Gary Moore (total brit tone right there y'all)

WAS PLAYED THROUGH A MARSHALL JTM45 that has 6L6s ??

So in the end, is it the tube, or the circuitry that plays the most prominent role in an amp's tone shaping ??

Keep the faith, baby!!
the ciruitary is easily the biggest effect.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
6L6's tend to sound good as they have high headroom (good for clean amps like fenders), and when they overdrive, they sound a bit scooped (good for modern high gainers).

el34's are more middy and hence are better for mid gain rock tones.

but a lot of that is preference.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?