hi, just ordered a swineshead warthog in the bridge position. I am replacing my dimarzio x2n that was there because it sounded like crap with my setup, too high output and no tone. bare in mind i use a peavey bandit solid state amp.

anyway i'll let you know how i get on with the warthog.
please do, I'm very interested to know how it sounds!

perhaps you should've waited with this thread untill your pickup had arrived, because untill it arrives this thread is pretty useless
Its amazing, suprisingly versatile aswell.
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
Should'nt you be looking to your amp rather than your pickup?
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
well if i could afford it i would get a better amp but most tube amps are not ideal for bedroom playing it appears and i am actually really pleased with my amp for that job so for now a pickup change will do me. My amp is the best solid state amp i have played/owned and that includes, laneys, line 6 spider II, marshall mg100dfx, an older bandit and a roland cube.

I used to own a marshall jcm900 50 watt combo but it sounded like ****e for metal at low volumes and for bedroom use i needed lower volumes. i tried pedals.
Could anyone tell me if Xbuckers are a good deal? I'd like to put one in the bridge position of my SZ520QM which I play through a GT8 and a Randall 100 watt solid state combo.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
^hijacking threads is not cool, my friend :no

and i dont think there is anyhting wrong with the pup you mentioned. it may very well work.
Quote by Green_Jelly
Could anyone tell me if Xbuckers are a good deal? I'd like to put one in the bridge position of my SZ520QM which I play through a GT8 and a Randall 100 watt solid state combo.

Mhmhm I replaced my Ibanez 2550E Ibz/Dimarzio stock bridge pickup for the xbucker. Definately better than the stock, more clarity, but it could be better. Good for the price I guess.
Ibanez RG2550E Prestige
Squier Bullet
Roland Cube 30W
Quote by Green_Jelly

I replaced my stock pickup in my SZ with a Venom, and the improvement in tone was pretty amazing. I haven't tried the Xbucker, but if you want to play high-gain metal I think it'd be really good.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I'm interested in what you think of them. Also, anyone here have experience with the Swineshead Runaways?
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
^I think you'd have to speak to Gabel for that one, the Runaway

I want to know if the Warthog is good for cleans and just rock and hardrock too.
So can it do more than just metal?
my S is fitted with a Runaway/Spotlight/Warthog - Warthog in the bridge is great, the cleans are nice, far better than the stock you have, a fuller sound without biting your head off. Actually not really the best pup for metal. More classic rocktype stuff, mabye go into country to, with a nice amp.
Runaway is certainly darker than the Condor pup, its heavy style suits the S Series for me. I play rhythem on it, ThinLizzyesque, and some blusey stuff. Most pplwill prolly tell you the Condor is better for that, a bit more clarity, but i have a strat too so if i want a less dirty sound i switch to that.

Edit: and btw i have a Peavey Studio Pro (the slighty smaller Bandit) you will still notice great difference in your sound, even with your amp trust me!
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM (Swinehead pups)
Fender Custom Shop American Classic Strat
Mesa/Boogie Lone Star special
Marshall Guv'nor GV - 2
Boss Overdrive OD - 3
Ibanez Weeping Demon WD7
Boss Digtal Delay DD-6
Flanger
Last edited by funkymuzak at Sep 22, 2006,
Quote by Zeus2716

and i dont think there is anyhting wrong with the pup you mentioned. it may very well work.

Sorry 'bout that, but it seemed lame to me to open up another thread about almost the same thing.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Quote by Sepulturick

I used to own a marshall jcm900 50 watt combo but it sounded like ****e for metal at low volumes and for bedroom use i needed lower volumes. i tried pedals.

Should have gotten a speaker emulator... But, that would have been an expensive option...
RIG
Jackson SL3 Soloist
89' Ibanez RG570
Vader 4x12 Cabinet
Line 6 HD147 Head
6space HEAD/RACK case
Korg DTR1000 Rack Tuner
Furman Power Conditioner
ISP Decimator
came today will be in my guitar by monday/tuesday. just having second thoughts about which guitar to put it in
Quote by Zeus2716

I am also a washburn player.

Aha
\m/

i wouldn't say the warthog is aimed at country...

hard rock/shred, mostly.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by rockers73
Should'nt you be looking to your amp rather than your pickup?

Not so - the old adage "rubbish in, rubbish out" holds true here. The pickup is the first element in the chain, so it pays to get a good one, no matter what your amp is like.