when I watch kirk ammett or synester gates do a guitarsolo their thumb is always over the neck like a clamp but I put my thumb in the middle on the back of the neck is this good or bad? Cuz sometimes it hurts and I can never go all the way up the neck to the E string without my thumb on the neck but kirk can. Should I raise my guitar strap up higher or something what am i doing wrong
thanks for the help guy
Keep your strap high first and lower after it feels good. your thumb should be over the neck when bending but on the middle when doing legatos etc. if you try to do a legato with frets 3-5-7 for exampel. you will notice that its like impossible to do with your thumb over the neck
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Everyone holds a neck their own way... A guitar neck that is.

By doing the baseball grip (thumb over top) you'll find it's easier to do flurrys in a non-movable position, meaning you don't have to shift your hand/slide it too frequent thus you can clamp down and get a good riff played.

It's all for comfort, if you force yourself to not do something naturally it will in most cases hurt, I try and do both when I have time to get into that clamped position as it really helps with flurrying.
*shrugs* I don't know...
Quote by MataBych
God, thx for your help...:P

...Multiple accounts snappage?
*shrugs* I don't know...
You must play with comfort !
The position of your thumb doesn't matter at all. It's easier for some parts to play, the position of your thumb must be natural for playing without difficults.
Lollerskates. Clamping your thumb down is actually BAD technique. Synyster sucks, that's why he does it. But i think Kirk may do it cuz he wears his guitar strap so damn low. Clamping your thumb will slow you down, period. It helps in no way at all, it may make your grip stonger, but the more you tense up, the slower you play.
Quote by krymson
I hope that we could get some real metal out there. I guess A7X a start...
But nu metal does have its moments like Slipknot Mushroomhead and Korn.

Quote by VR2005
...Scales are basically the most useless thing in jazz...

Just as importantly as how it affects your speed, setting your thumb too high bends your wrist back into a bad position, increasing the strain on it... which in turn increases the likelihood of you developing some RSI.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
yea, technically the right positioning is how u do it. However, everyone finds their own way and if it works, then hey, don't fix it
Quote by AtReyUfAn_247
yea, technically the right positioning is how u do it. However, everyone finds their own way and if it works, then hey, don't fix it

+1
Quote by AtReyUfAn_247

Well, not necessarily. Guitar technique has standards for a reason. That whole thumb clamp thing should generally be avoided. Also, just because it works, it doesn't make it effecient, or helpful. Sliding down the stairs on your rear end works, but after a while you are going to have a bloody mess down there....

And also, just because it is natural, doesn't make it the best way. Scandal, I know, but if you always did what was natural, your technique would be pure garbage.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
But you're talking about general guitar techinque... For example, I think it's true for using the good fingers when you're playing arpeggios but I think the position of the thumb isn't ever an inconvinient according to the differents part you have to play.
I think the comfort affect the quality of the play...