I noticed that scales in my book are all the same patterns just in differnt order it seems so how do you know what scales to play if they are all the same postions? if you make a guitar solo am I suppost to use all the patterns in order for a specific key and just put variety in it or what? and how or can you mix scales such as d minor penatonic then go to D chromatic and so on and so forth? You might notice I put alot of threads on this site so I am sorry if you guys get sick of hearing from my I just really want to by a great musican and not just someone who learns tabs and thats it
so thanks for the help on this thread and all the one i will have in the future
C Major is the same as A Minor and D Dorian and the other modes. They use the same notes.

It's the order of notes that make it sound different.

Play C-C without using any sharps or flats. Now play A-A without any sharps or flats. You are using the same notes but the scale sounds different because of the order of notes and the relationship between them.

You need to write a song that resolves ( ends nicely ) on A for it to sound minor and on C for it to sound major ( very basic, doesn't cover everything 100% ). You can do this with other modes like Mixolydian, Locrian etc and get different sounding songs. It's all about finding the tonal centre ( the one note that the song revolves around and resolves to, in most cases ) and using it to your advantage combined with X mode.

Please someone tell him the modes of C Major.

C Ionian
D Dorian
E Phyrgian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B Locrian

Is that right? ^
Last edited by Sir Edwin CBE at Sep 20, 2006,
C Ionian (major)
D Dorian
E Phyrgian
F Lydian
G Mixolydian
A Aeolian
B locrian

These apply to if you play all white notes from the root note to the root note octave etc etc

Basically on guitar i just learn the different positions of scales in one key and then i just transpose it to different keys for different songs by playing the root note at a different places on the fretboard, if thats what you are asking.
Last edited by Naboo at Sep 20, 2006,