As the title says, I'm wondering wheter I should get a line 6 uber metal pedal or a noise gate (boss or decimator) and an overdrive or distortion pedal. I play metal and hardcore, as well as shred and lighter tunes (bluesy stuff, hendrix, etc).

I was wondering if someone knew what range of sounds the line 6 metal pedal has, I know I can get great metal tones (metal sounds ok and pulverise is just great!) but what about overdrive like sounds, could I change some settings and get something that sounds like the boss blues overdrive? What about Jimi hendrix sounds? Van halen perhaps? Also, I was wondering if they're durable and if they don't sound too digitally (like the spiders?)

If I go for a noise gate and another pedal, which would be good for the sounds I'm trying to get? Boss distortion/overdrive?

Lastly, if I decide to get more pedals one day (like a wahwah), would I still be able to use the metal pedal as a noise gate? I mean, noise gates should be your last pedal, but don't know where the distortion should go. If it should go before the wahwah (or eq or flanger or whatever), then the noise gate would be pretty useless, wouldn't it?

Thanks in advance!
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
in front of some amps it will sound digital for sure...so what amp do you have?
I bought an über metal from my friend, because through his new Laney VH100R it sounded terribly digital but through my Peavey Classic 50 it sounds nice! So it doesn't even depend on how expensive the amp is (though it will most probably sound digital through a solidstate amp).

oh and I guess you use a noise-gate at the end of your effects line (this article could help you with the order of effects : http://www.bossus.com/bugonline/how_to.asp?art=order )

The Über Metal does a good job at metal and hardcore, but I'm not sure about Hendrix (I'll check that out this evening).
Nope. Ubermetal isn't very good for Van Halen and Hendrix type tones. The Dr. Distorto Pedal is much better for that type of stuff, plus it can still do metal. Just not extreme metal like the Ubermetal. I actually like the Hughes & Ketner Warp Factor pedal for Metal. Still not really good for hard rock though.
I hear that if you do get one, use an AC plug because it will devour 9 volt batteries. Check out the reviews on this site.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
^ Most of the reviews on this site blow. The uber metal isn't great either.
What types of metal do you play?
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
I bought the Uber Metal pedal yesterday because I regretted not buying it three months ago!!! This, in my opinion is the best distortion pedal that suites my needs. There are endless tones, I mean the thing has three different distortion types which all have their own voice, it also has a noise gate which is another plus. I'm sure it can sound digital depending on which amp one uses like the dude stated above. I have a all tube head and the pedal just sings, no digital sound here. I guess it depends on what you think distortion should sound like and this pedal is exactly what I want. For hendrix tones go for the Dr. Distorto. I have this pedal also, used it and eq pedal to get high gain distrotion. Both are great to me, so next time you go to the guitar shop plug them and try 'em out!
I've got a cube 30 atm, can't afford a tube amp I might upgrade to a 100W amp sometime, but it will still be solid state.

I mainly play metallica, pantera, slayer and megadeth kinda metal. Hardcore ranges from fall of troy to as I lay dying and poison the well.

I don't want to get THE hendrix tone per se, but a friend of mine's got a bad monkey and I really like the overdrive sound he can get out of it. I love the boss blues pedal sound sample too..and the turbo distortion. Anyone knows if those are digitally through solid states? Or is it just with line 6 stuff.

So, really, I'm a bit clueless -.- I pretty much need a noise gate, I want metal sounds, but I love overdrive too >_> The cube's got quite some channels though, so maybe I should just wait with the pedals till I get a bigger amp. But i'd still need a noise gate, but if I buy a metal pedal for a new amp later, I'd have 2 noise gates!

*runs around screaming*

I dun like decisions..

Anyways, keep the comments coming, thanks a lot for all the info as I'm pretty much a noobie on this :P And that pedal guide is really helpfull, ta!

*waits for replies*
Not only would it disrupt the fabric of time and space, but it would totally ruin the surprise!
Last edited by Kailoq at Sep 20, 2006,
The Boss DS-2 is crap, don't waste your money or time with it, especially if you use a solid state amp. The Boss Blues Driver isn't bad, but if you want a sound similar and a lot better than the BD-2, get a Marshall BB-2 Bluesbreaker. It's an OD and distortion (switchable), literally the best sounding smooth lead tone you'll find in a pedal for that price and double its price.

For a heavy sounding distortion pedal to use with a solid state amp, I have no idea, I've had a bunch of distortion pedals, none really sounded too great with a solid state amp. But, again, I had a Marshall Jackhammer that sounded really good, alittle bassy, but with EQ'ing you can dial it out. I've been very impressed with the line of Marshall pedals, a lot better than the pedals in that price range.
Last edited by Guitarmiester at Sep 20, 2006,
When and if you upgrade your amp, why keep it transistor?
And the bad monkey is an overdrive, it'll sound kinda mushy if you try and use it with your amp. From what I've been hearing you should get decent sounds out of your cube as it is, sending disortion pedals into modeling amps tend to sound bad though.
Gear
PRS Standard SE
Laney GH100L with Marhsall 1960BV
Digitech Bad monkey
Marshall EH1
EHX Small stone
EHX Small clone
Last edited by StuC at Sep 20, 2006,
Quote by StuC
When and if you upgrade your amp, why keep it transistor?
And the bad monkey is an overdrive, it'll sound kinda mushy if you try and use it with your amp. From what I've been hearing you should get decent sounds out of your cube as it is, sending disortion pedals into modeling amps tend to sound bad though.

My friend uses his bad monkey through a cube 30 too and it sounds alright, but I haven't heard it anywhere else so whatever..

It's got good models, but I get lots of feedback and the uber metal pedal's noise gate would help with that

I have to keep it transistor because I can't afford a tube amp! I'm still 16 and not in a band atm, so even if I'd manage to get the money....it'd still be a huge investement for me.
Last edited by Kailoq at Sep 21, 2006,
Unless you guys know of a good cheap tube amp?
i used a uber metal be4,and finally changed to J&H+boss ns-2
uber metal is quite gd with metal stuff,a built-in noise gate could save you from hell
but better not plug it into a modelling amp
The best tones are really in a good amp, but I spose you've figured that out already. I have a Line6 Uber Metal and currently run it through a 100w solid state. You can really get a great variety of sounds out of the Uber Metal - from nice hard rock to plain brutal. As you know, there's three different levels/types of distortion - each of which can be modified a fair bit with the available knobs. The noisegate is pretty darn good - obviously not as good as something like an ISP Decimator but for distortion/drive/noisegate in one its great. Seriously though dude, you need to try out different pedals in a store. There's no way of knowing if its going to suit you until you've tried it.
Quote by rexdime
How is the uber metal through the cube30, have you tried it out?

Nope, I was pointed out model amps don't really need pedals (with some EQing I got a broader range of sounds). I might get a tube amp soon and I'll buy an overdrive pedal for that. From what I've gathered distortion pedals really aren't THAT great, and even plain bad for tube amps.
Quote by JorisBlack
in front of some amps it will sound digital for sure...so what amp do you have?
I bought an über metal from my friend, because through his new Laney VH100R it sounded terribly digital but through my Peavey Classic 50 it sounds nice! So it doesn't even depend on how expensive the amp is (though it will most probably sound digital through a solidstate amp).

that friend is actually me ! yeah, i bought one when i still had a lousy solid state 40 watt amp. It does the job well on small amps but when using it with a tube amp, it sure is one tricky bastard. And why buy an extra noise gate? The build in one on the über is fine for most people.
It took me two years to find that I've wasted five years of my life

Proud Laney VH100R owner!
Quote by Kailoq
Nope, I was pointed out model amps don't really need pedals (with some EQing I got a broader range of sounds). I might get a tube amp soon and I'll buy an overdrive pedal for that. From what I've gathered distortion pedals really aren't THAT great, and even plain bad for tube amps.

get this dude
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Visual-Sound-Jekyll-Hyde-Ultimate-Overdrive?sku=151681
hey can you record some sound clips of the Jekyll & Hyde overdrive on your line 6 and post it online? It might be the pedal i'm looking for, but i want to see how it sounds on a modelling ss amp
Quote by rexdime
hey can you record some sound clips of the Jekyll & Hyde overdrive on your line 6 and post it online? It might be the pedal i'm looking for, but i want to see how it sounds on a modelling ss amp

sorry i sold it already