I'm at a neverending stumbling block when it comes to right hand technique --- I can't seem to find the best/fastest way to alternate pick. I use heavy gauge picks. And have read and watched just about everything I can get my hands on when it comes to picking fast. I've heard that relaxation --- no tension ---is the key, but I've found it easier to pick faster with a fairly tight grip on the pick, but in turn it seems to build tension in my wrist, which is where I'm trying to reduce tension. Positioning my wrist so that it is parallel to the strings seems to facilitate "crossing strings" (downstroke, upstroke, downstroke, upstroke on next string), but it also seems to increase the tension in my wrist. It's like one day I think I've finally got it and the next day... I'm startin' from scratch again. Just can't seem to pinpoint where I'm screwin' up, but I'm almost positive it's the tension in my right hand, but it kinda' seems that I need a fair amount of tension in gripping that pick. I've worked pretty hard at this for the past year, or so (but, I've been playing for about 6yrs) and have made minimal improvement.... what a bummer!!! Any advice from my peers, would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks fella's...
It's all in the practice my friend, if you haven't practiced picking slow, moderate etc. then it won't seem as if you're getting anywhere trying to pick fast...
All I can say is don't get frustrated - well if you do don't let it get to you to stop, but fuel and keep going because the only solution is more playing. Also try using medium picks...
*shrugs* I don't know...
Always start slow and gradually increase speed. Do not do it by applying tension, just relax coz if you're giving too much tension then you're not doing it properly. Its all in the wrist, just lightly and patiently.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I actually learnt to play fast before I learnt to alternate pick slowly...... I know - its weird, but it worked for me.

Dont have too much play in the wrist - only move it just enough to get past the string and back again. Big sweeping movments will slow your picking right down, and be less accurate and less defined.

Also try to bend your thumb into your hand a little bit - as opposed to it being straight when you alternate pick normally. It is all in the wrist - there is only very very small forearm movements.

Thicker, rigid picks tend to help and thinner strings are always a good way to start. Also grip the pick closer to the point. This may help you.

Try it on one string at first - I find either the low E or the high E is good. See which you can work with more easily. Dont skip strings and dont try to play too complex runs with the fretting hand - it will kill your concentration. Try chromatic scales and licks and build speed from there.

Hope that helped a bit,

Dan
Gear List;

Laney VH100R with Matching Cab
Ibanez RGT42FM
Schecter C-1+
BC Rich Neck Thru Warlock
ISP Noise Decimator
Ibanez TS9
Quote by danastasi
Also try to bend your thumb into your hand a little bit - as opposed to it being straight when you alternate pick normally. It is all in the wrist - there is only very very small forearm movements.

Agreed, also when picking make sure the edge of the pick is plucking the strings. The higher on the pick the string is plucked, the more force is required to move past the string (as more of the pick has to bend). If you hit the string too high on the pick, you'll notice pauses in your alternate picking as your wrist is providing an even force but is suddenly required to provide more in order to break past the string.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer