whatis agathis how does it sound

is alder good for metal
jacksons are alder

are basswods good for metal
ibanez is basewood
Agathis is a breed of trees who's wood is used in budget priced guitars - it sounds most similar to mahogany with a more "stale" tone.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Last edited by Bazilisck311 at Sep 20, 2006,
I have an agathis guitar, and I'm the only person who doesn't complain about it.
People say it sounds dull and muddy.

Alder has a well balanced tone. It's very common and can be used for all kinds of playing styles.

Basswood is less dense than alder. It sounds warmer with a bit more midrange. However, not all pickups sound good in basswood bodies (EMG's for example. They work in Alder or Mahogany, but sound crap in basswood).
Anything BUT agathis is good for metal, depending on your sound. Agathis has a really bad sustain which is BAD in metal. And it sounds very thin and loke like mahogany at all, Bazilisck311!
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Quote by Muppet
loke like mahogany at all, Bazilisck311!

You misconstrue. Of the most popular tone woods, Agathis sounds most similar to Mahogany. I didn't say it sounded exactly like mahogany.

" it sounds most similar to mahogany "
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Quote by Metal/Guitarist
whatis agathis how does it sound

is alder good for metal
jacksons are alder

are basswods good for metal
ibanez is basewood

Everything else has been explained so I'd just like to point out not all Jacksons are Alder and Not All Ibanez's are Basswood
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
Quote by Muppet
Anything BUT agathis is good for metal, depending on your sound. Agathis has a really bad sustain which is BAD in metal. And it sounds very thin and loke like mahogany at all, Bazilisck311!

Actually, I have an agathis guitar, and it sounds really thick and resembles mahogany, although has a character of it's own.

I like it, actually.
Alder=good for metal, jacksons do use it and they are great for metal
Mahogany=good for metal, gibsons, some ibanezes, other guitars use them, they are great for metal
Basswood=not as good as the other two but yeah good, ibanezes, deans, some jacksons use this, mainly lower end metal guitars, so if you havent got a lot of cash to spend a basswood will probably do you fine

Agathis=NO, if you are a beginner then go for it but if you want a second guitar i dont suggest a guitar with agathis, this is the reason people dislike BC Rich
Quote by sashki
(EMG's for example. They work in Alder or Mahogany, but sound crap in basswood).

but i heard that emg's were designed to remain unaffected by different woods...just what i heard, dont know if its accurate
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
It's tone is subjective, you have to try it and judge yourself. If you have the right amp, you can get a metal tone from any tone wood.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
alder and basswood are lightweight woods that give off bright tones (Basswood is lighter and gives a brighter sound) and Agathis is barely a step above plywood. It sounds very dull and raw.

BTW, I'd suggest you stop looking for such a metal only guitar, because a guitare that plays only metal is the worst kind of guitar you can get.
Dickless.