Hi, well, im having severe wrist pains, and whenever i punch something, it hurts like hell, when im lifting weights, it hurts like hell, whenever my hand is set to do any minor labour, like lifting closets (which are pretty light), my wrist hurts like hell. This pain only concerns my right wrist, and im worried if its because of my guitar playing. Can the picking hand be exposed to damage from picking? Is my picking technique wrong?
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
this means you should stop
you know
lay you guitar down and stop
meanwhile, at the "What would you sell your soul for?" thread...
Quote by Stooja
For The Ability to write lyrics and sing better, and play guitar better of course.

And Chuck some hot chicks in aswell...

Quote by nextBIGthing1
^ You really think YOUR soul is worth that much?
Yes the damage is more than likely being caused by your guitar playing.

I'm going to assume you anchor your fingers onto the guitar body. Well, stop doing that for starters. Take a break from any kind of strenuous labour on your hands for a while and stop playing guitar. Best do this for a couple of months.

Judging from the pain you describe it's permanent damage and is often known as RSI/Carpal tunnel syndrome/ Tendonitis. See a doctor if it's really that bad.
Quote by codybcool

I'm going to assume you anchor your fingers onto the guitar body. Well, stop doing that for starters. Take a break from any kind of strenuous labour on your hands for a while and stop playing guitar. Best do this for a couple of months.

Judging from the pain you describe it's permanent damage and is often known as RSI/Carpal tunnel syndrome/ Tendonitis. See a doctor if it's really that bad.

i have heard about these things, how can i avoid them? im really concerned.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by codybcool

Are you joking? I have to quit guitar for a few months???!!! No way... I read over my first post, and it might be it sounds a little worse than what it really is. It doesn't hurt like HELL anytimes, but it does hurt a bit... U seriously think its permanent???!! I anchor, yes, but only with my pinky. Sligtly, below the strings.. Please don't tell me its permanent :S
Well, just to be like everyone else, here's my rig:

Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Washburn J28SDL

Mesa/Boogie F-50 Combo
Not at all, RSI is fairly common among musicians and is caused by incorrect technique or a repetitive movement that is awkward. Tremonti is the only famous musician i can think of to experience it, and consequently he threw in guitar for about 3 months to make a full recovery.

Unless you want to cause permanent damage, if it isn't already, you should definitely stop playing for a while. Also try using wrist supports or wrist bands.
And then when you start up again stretch out your hands before you start playing.
ಥ_ಥ
It sounds more like just a pulled muscle or a pinched nerve than RSI or Carpel Tunnel. But I would recommend a doctor's visit to diagnose the condition and to recommend how to treat it - I'm pretty sure a majority of the users who post in this thread have no training in medical sciences.

Anchoring your pinky is not a catalyst of RSI or Carpel Tunnel unless you place a large amount of pressure on the pinky. I know 1/3 of you will probably throw full whine bottle at your computer screen when you read this, but anchoring your pinky isn't bad posture - it's a different technique that has its benefits and its draw-backs, just like curling your thumb around the fret board or placing it underneath the fret board.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
No, anchoring your pinky is a bad technique, i used to do it until recently and have since realised all the disadvantages of it.
There are disadvantages of it, but it does provide more control in some cases.

You don't find anchoring to help you, which is perfectly fine. However, others might not see this even after playing without it. I use it as a technique: If I need more control but less reach and speed, I'll anchor my pinky. Yngwie Malmsteen and Steve Vai have been seen anchoring their pinky on some occassions.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Too bad, you might have an inflammation due to proper technique or other repetitive motion with unusual wrist angle, such as using the computer mouse.

DOn't play guitar for 3 months, if it continues, see a doct.

Or amputate
See a doctor. Let the DOCTOR tell you to stop playing if he/she thinks it's appropriate.

Chris
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.