Page 1 of 2
Long story short. My friend has one and I had the luxury of being able to borrow it for a week. I fell in love and just ordered one. I bought the vintage white w/ maple fretboard. The scalloped fretboard is awesome. It's like playing on air lol. I heard it was hard to get used to, but it only took me like 5 minutes.

I was reading a review here and it mentioned American Musical Supply. You don't have to shell out the whole thing at once. I'm making 5 no interest payments so it won't be too bad on my wallet. I've wanted this axe for a long time. Can't wait to get it.
Quote by Eric 666
Sweet...I love that guitar, the scallopped frets make it feel like a Jem.

I've never played a Jem, but heard the higher frets are scalloped. Is that true? Yeah, I love the guitar. It's awesome and can't wait to have one of my own.
Quote by view askew
I've never played a Jem, but heard the higher frets are scalloped. Is that true? Yeah, I love the guitar. It's awesome and can't wait to have one of my own.

Yeah the 22-24 frets are scalloped, I personally love the way both of those guitars feel.
Quote by Keef-is-king
I personally dont like the pickups in it, I like the rest of the guitar though!

They're not the best in the world, but nicely matched for the guitar IMO. I like it.

Quote by 4string-tsurigi
the malmsteen strat seems like an admirable instrument

Indeed.

Quote by Eric 666
Yeah the 22-24 frets are scalloped, I personally love the way both of those guitars feel.

Nice. I wasn't even in the market for a new axe really, but after I played my friend's YJM I was sold and had to get it. Next time I'm @ guitar center, I'll see if they have one I can try out. Hopefully I don't like it too much because I have an impulse buy personality. :x
im afraid at this point in time were gonna need some pics please
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
What bothers me about the YJM is that it only has 21 frets, and that you need a distortion pedal to play it, since Malmsteen's pickups have such low output (93) that you need a distortion pedal, but hell it's worth it.
congrats. pretty soon, if everything goes to plan, ill be making them
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by 4string-tsurigi
the malmsteen strat seems like an admirable instrument

Do not use the word "admirable" you'll make the guy think he bought a chinese copy!!!

Anyway , back on topic, cool purchase, I hope you unleash the fooking fury with it!
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by giorgio1210
im afraid at this point in time were gonna need some pics please

I don't have it yet, but when I do, I'll post some up. I was going to do 2 day shipping, but that costs 50. I'll just wait. :p

Quote by Eric 666
What bothers me about the YJM is that it only has 21 frets, and that you need a distortion pedal to play it, since Malmsteen's pickups have such low output (93) that you need a distortion pedal, but hell it's worth it.

I've never needed more than 21. I guess I'm just used to strats lol. I have a few pedals in my arsenal I can use. I'll be needing a new amp soon though.

Quote by ScottishAngus
Do not use the word "admirable" you'll make the guy think he bought a chinese copy!!!
Anyway , back on topic, cool purchase, I hope you unleash the fooking fury with it!

Hahaha no worries. If it's a chinese copy I'm returning it. :p But yeah, I will be playing this baby for hours on end everyday for a while.
I've never been huge on scalloped frets...
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by ScottishAngus
no worry, this top qualty fenner startkaster!!
I have never used the guitar but am intrigued, Ive heard the pickups were weak before, how are the YJM pickups?

I've been looking for single coil cleans for my strat as in not twangy but sort of glass like if you know what I mean
They are the weakest DiMarzio pickups available, but mr. Malmsteen designed it like that on purpose...somehting about noise reduction or some bull**** back in the 80's. Now their output is as follows, 90 for the bridge and 93 for the middle or neck I dont remember, so they wont overdrive your amp naturally so you need "forced induction" or in this case "forced distortion" from a distortion pedal...look for a Tone Zone if you wanna get somehting nice for your Strat.
Yeah, they're not the loudest, but that's one thing I liked is that even when it was cranked up, it didn't overdrive the amp. I guess later if I really need to, I can change the pups out.
Quote by view askew
Yeah, they're not the loudest, but that's one thing I liked is that even when it was cranked up, it didn't overdrive the amp. I guess later if I really need to, I can change the pups out.

i wouldnt worry about changing the pups, malmsteen has like the best lead tone ever if ya ask me, except you may want to change the bridge to get more crunch out of it
I've heard Yngwie is quite the tone perfectionist, so my guess is that he wants to be able to control the level of input going into the amplifier

So he had low output pickups thereby allowing him to adjust the signal going into the amp via a preamp (JMP-1 I believe? I heard there was a signature one out there)
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Congrats on the guitar
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
YJM strat is an excellent guitar, just remember that Yngwie customized that guitar to sound perfect, meaning it picks up every note.. i read on an article once that Yngwie wanted to have pups on that guitar that would pick up every single note at his blistering speed, and his tone is really brilliant, cos he doesnt use much effects, just alot of overdriven stuff, but basically he designed that guitar to keep up with him and to sound really clean even when overdriven. its like a dodge viper really... AhaAhAhAhha... but excellent buy mate... im so freakin jealous...
I doubt I'll change anything right away because when I was playing my friends, it was perfect for me. Damn, I'm so damn antsy waiting for it. You should check out American Musical Supply though so you can have the axe you want and make payments on it. Granted you need semi-decent credit, but it's nice to have that option. Damn, I should have just did the 2 day delivery lol.
to everyone looking for one at guitar center.. good luck i've talked to several different stores and they refuse to carry them b/c they arent in "high demand" and the only way they would get one is if someone brought it in for a trade.. its also a bitch to even get them to order one for you... so in conclusion **** Guitar Center,,
Quote by a6l6e6x1
hahaha "sexism the ultimate humour" a6l6e6x, 2008

My gear:
Kramer Custom Made from 1986
Framus Manhattan
Phaiga Hybrid H1
Ibanez RGT220A
Ibanez RG305DX
Framus Dragon Top
Custom Cab with 6 Celestion G12H Speakers
Yeah, they never have it. My friend bought his on ebay a few years ago for roughly 700 or so.
So, do you feel like eating some donuts now?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I can get the Guitar Center 775 here in Tampa to get me one since I know one of the salespeople personally, and we get along very well...plus I think he has one himself.
I'm sure they can order you whatever you want, but every time I've went in the past, they never had one on display.
I finally got it and this thing rocks. Here are some pix. They're not the best, but here you go. My friend has my good lens, but yeah. I love this damn thing.

Post some clips of you shredding it
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
I don't have a camcorder. That's next on my list. Plus, I don't think I'm good enough to be on video lol.
Quote by view askew
I don't have a camcorder. That's next on my list. Plus, I don't think I'm good enough to be on video lol.

Audio is enough
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Daaaaayum, that's a beautiful guitar!! You just can't beat vintage white, great color. Congrats!!
beautiful guitar!!!! I just creamed my pants various times...... I love that finish with the maple neck... perfect replica of "The Duck" (One of/ Is Malmsteens fave strats)
Page 1 of 2