I have resently been thinking about buying a new acoustic guitar, i have an unplugged but I would like to have a better one... anyway the type im interested in the most would have to be something that would be good for lead guitar (although i would like to beable to sound good playing all types) sound good unplugged as well as plugged, a cutaway would be a must, 22 frets (24 would be awesome), i do some strumming but most of the time i get side tracked with bending, sliding, finger tapping ect that im guessing thats what i like the most, been playing for about 6 months now so still a newbie, but i do play alot practicly every day for a few hours... all comments welcome, $200-300 would be great, $300-400 still ok, $400-500 if its a must have, $500+ probably out of my price range... thanks
I don't know much about acoustics but you could check out some Ibanez electric-acoustics.
^ignore that

check out some alverez guitars... ive heard only good things of them
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
An epiphone John Lennon acoustic is pretty cool, maybe too electric sounding for you though....

it has no cutaway but it does sound great plugged in or unplugged, and idk about the fret count, personally I think acoustics sound best with 19/20 frets to get better soundhole positioning
Last edited by Keef-is-king at Sep 20, 2006,
Alvarez does make good guitars in a lower price range. If you can find an older one, it would be great.

My first acoustic was a Takamine G 330S. It had a satin finish instead of a glossy one. I really liked it. I upgraded to a Gibson and sold the Takamine to a friend. I wish I would have kept it for a campfire guitar. Yeah, the Tak isn't a Gibson or a Martin, but it had really good tone, and was in a good price range.
thanks for the info guys, ill look those over and do more research also, i wish there was somewhere they had sound samples of guitars... not sure what type of sound im going to exactly i just dont want to lose the acoustic sound but at the same time i do like the sound of electric, the best of both worlds would be great but i think thats dreaming...
alot of times u get a better guitar when u buy a good acoustic and install ur own pickup.

inbanez and fender thinlines feel like electrics, but they arent booming, and the cheap talmans, are all plastic.

alvarez, takamine, some yamahas are all very good for the price.

for lead ull need a cutaway, and that probably leaves out yamaha.

also, do urself a favor and check out semi hollow, piezo pickups in electrics.
i know its expensive but an example would be the E/A semi hollow from schecter.
you can plug in one input for acoustic work, or the other for electric.

another thing to consider, is your amp.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--SCEC1EA
i added a link just so you can look at the features, maybe think about ur other options.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Sep 20, 2006,
hows the acoustic sound on semi hollows, electric sound also compared to normal electric and acoustic plugged in, ill have to check those out in person im sure, but what type of loss in sound is there for example is it just not as loud do you lose some high/lows, i havent heard one in person yet that i know of

also that adding parts idea sounds like it might be a good option, i just dont have any exp with that so what type of difficulty would i be looking at with adding pickups(have to run a line for the plugin im assuming), how about on board tuners (or is that going a bit far, not that important anyway)
Last edited by G0ply at Sep 20, 2006,
well semi's arent loud enough to play acoustically. they are meant to be plugged in, But when they use piezo pup, they give you a nice amplified acoustic tone.

the schecter and others like it are nice because it gives u both tones.

other semi hollows, are used more in rock n roll. not very heavy stuff.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I picked up a Ibanez Acoustic/Electric with SST tuner equilizer, very nice easy movement. When plugged in The SST is great for changing the sound in to what you want, not only that the built in tuner saves you from grabbing for the tuner everytime.
i think i like the look of Ibanez and Ovations, havent heard anything here about Ovations are they pretty good guitars also?

also with the preamps is there much differances or anything to look for, SST, AEQ-SRT, ex or are they all about the same?
not crazy about ovations. they sound nice but have a bowl shaped back. slips off ur lap unless uve got one of those grip covers they sell.
real nice guitars tho.

pre amps arent all the same. but i just know brands, not the abbreviations.
ill look them up later if u want
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

if you happen to have time and dont mind that would be nice, im doing some searching atm so i may come across it on my own sooner or later, dont go out of your way for me though

humm, im not sure what i think about that bowl back design, sounds like it could get a bit dangerous (for the guitar), in my hands that is hehe

thanks again for the info been great help so far everyone...

added: is it easy to change the pre-amps on your guitar if you wanted to for some reason? seems like you would have to get in the insides of it
Last edited by G0ply at Sep 21, 2006,