I always had mine horizontal (parallel) with the strings but should it be angled?
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15
Last edited by mEtAlORc at Sep 20, 2006,
I hold mine parallel to the strings, gripped between the top of my index finger and my thumb.
As parallel to the strings as possible - this creates a more horizontal vibration and less vertical which can cause fret buzz.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
^yep second
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
i hold my somewhat angled, and with my index, middle, and thumb, which is handy for metal, like tremolo picking and such
Quote by SiD3_eFf3cT
i hold my somewhat angled, and with my index, middle, and thumb, which is handy for metal, like tremolo picking and such

i dont know how to hold it with my middle finger anymore
Larrivée D-03R
Quote by Wasted Resource
There is no "right" way to hold a pick.

Different strokes for different folks.

And the question in this thread is "how do you hold the pick when you play" not "what is the right way to hold a pick".

So well done for bringing irrelevance to this thread and not actually contributing anything
Quote by Prk Marshall
And the question in this thread is "how do you hold the pick when you play" not "what is the right way to hold a pick".

So well done for bringing irrelevance to this thread and not actually contributing anything

Yes, I see your completely literal reading of the thread question.

However, I find this thread completely ridiculous. I can imagine you all reading along... Oh, he holds it with it resting on his knuckles, and this guy uses the pads of his fingers, and this guy is really interesting...He doesn't even use one.

I probably should have just said, "I hold a pick differently depending on the desired effect. Sometimes I change the pick position multiple times within a song. Sometimes I hold the pick backwards and play with the dull end. Sometimes I choke up on the pick to pinch harmonics."

If you only know how to hold a pick one way, your skills are very limited.

If you have to ask. You'll never know.
Quote by Wasted Resource

However, I find this thread completely ridiculous. I can imagine you all reading along... Oh, he holds it with it resting on his knuckles, and this guy uses the pads of his fingers, and this guy is really interesting...He doesn't even use one.

I probably should have just said, "I hold a pick differently depending on the desired effect. Sometimes I change the pick position multiple times within a song. Sometimes I hold the pick backwards and play with the dull end. Sometimes I choke up on the pick to pinch harmonics."

i shud have said how do you hold a pick while tremolo picking.. rofl
Larrivée D-03R

Ummm ......No its called actually reading the question, then replying to the question that is asked.

That is kind of the point of the thread, to find out which way different people hold a pick.......which part of it dont you get If you find it so ridiculous then why post a meanigness reply? are you trying to boost your post count or is it some kind of irrelevance reflex action that you have?

^^^^ Yes you should have, now youve said it i have to give you a +

Perhaps thats exactly why hes asking, to find out other methods and try to expand his skills?

Not true, the point behind this forum is to swap information. So if he asks and others tell him, then he does know.
Quote by mEtAlORc
i shud have said how do you hold a pick while tremolo picking.. rofl

LMAO
man, i hold the pick at around an 80 degree angle to the strings, try that ****
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
most of the time I don't use one, but when I do, I hold it so it slices the string. Really helps for reaching a high speed.
Dickless.
slight angle with as little of the pick showin as i can manage but it usually moves around without me even realizing it until i look
Quote by Invictious
Wha...? Ask the local guitar shop for servicing?
They are ugly and bastards there though...
£30

That's outrageous.
Their penis is small too, and I am not that desperate
No thanks.
i hold the pick with my thumb, my index and my middle finger, but when i play with fingers an pick, i hold it with my thum and index
there are so many different effects caused by different pick holding positions... i suggest you experiments with it.. think of a desired effect, bluesy, jazzy,wateva n then try to achieve that pickin style.. try out diff positions dude..
if im playing acoustic, ill let a bunch stick out and lightly hold it.
but if im playing electric, ill hold it at an angle so i can get pinch harmonics...
It just takes practice, I think. I've been learning how to do pinch harmonics on the upstroke, so I can sweep pinch harmonics, and I'm learning to have the pick slide around between my two fingers to get different ways to hold it. Not much of a tip, 'eh? Just experiment with holding it differently and trying to move the pick around with your two fingers without playing.

Personally, I don't have a set way of holding the pick. I do whatever's easiest for what I'm playing.
Quote by Lead guitarist
Any tips on how to change from normal picking style to pinch harmonic stance quick?

I find rotating my hand vertically slightly (curling the wrist slightly) will place the thumb in position - this works if you hold the pick more towards the edge.
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
I've found that holding it slanted to the strings will give your palm mute more "chug."
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Depends, when i'm strumming its nearly exactly parralel, but a lot of the time when i'm soloing there's a slight angle, i try to get it as verticle as possible
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
I've found that holding it slanted to the strings will give your palm mute more "chug."

You can also get more "chug" by placing your palm farther away from the bridge
Ibanez JEM 7VWH