Ok, I've been looking around for a guitar and I found a guy who will sell me a La Patrie Etude classical guitar for $90. But the thing is I don't know if I want a classical guitar, would I still be able to play rock type stuff on it as I would on a normal acoustic? Should I buy it??
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
rock on a classical gutiar is very hard, but it can be done, i have manged simpler riffs on it, it is good to have a variety though.
Is a classical guitar in the same standard tuning, and can I use a pick on classical guitar?
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
If this is going to be your only acoustic, and you want to play "rock type stuff," you're probably better off just passing on this guitar.
Well I mean, I don't have to play rock on it, I could still play mildly, but it's in the same tuning right? Can I use a pick or is it strictly finger picking?
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
it is in the same tuning and you can use a pick on a classical guitar, but it will damage the soundboard. classical guitars aren't made to be played with a pick. everything you have said so far leads me to advise you against getting this guitar... including your SOAD avatar
^-- you can but it's not good for the guitar.... do a google image search for willie nelson's guitar

EDIT: observe the hole in the soundboard caused by playing with a pick

How much do you think I would be able to get for it in a pawnshop? Maybe I could buy it for $90 and sell it off for a lot more. It's supposedly a pretty nice guitar. La Patrie Etude.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
you'd probably get about 90 bucks for it... maybe less, depending on the condition. those sell for like 300-350 brand new so a pawn shop couldn't get more than 200 for it probably.
Quote by Nyne
How much do you think I would be able to get for it in a pawnshop? Maybe I could buy it for $90 and sell it off for a lot more. It's supposedly a pretty nice guitar. La Patrie Etude.

A quick google search tells me they sell for $300 new. I don't do a lot of dealing with pawn shops, but they're not known for offering top dollar. If you're just looking to turn a profit, you could always try eBay.
They retail at around $600 in Canada.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
600 CAD isn't the same as 600 USD. so you are paying 90 CAD?

EDIT: actually the conversion isn't 2:1 though.... you guys are overpaying for your guitars up there if that guitar sells for 600 CAD... are you sure you aren't looking at the "List Price" for the guitar instead of what it actually sells for? the list price on a guitar is always a great deal higher than what it sells for.
I said around $600, and yes I'd be paying 90 CAD. Seems like a hell of a deal to me, but I guess I don't need one.
Gear:
Black Ibanez RG170
Line 6 Spider II 112
Genius Mind
so you meant that they retail for 600 USD in Canada then? that's crazy for them to be more expensive in Canada than they are in the United States considering they are made by Godin which is a Canadian company.