So a JCM900 Dual Reverb/Hi Gain has slipped out of my grasps, however, an SL-X has come into the picture and I'm interested. I love the distortion (from what I've heard), however, I don't know about the cleans. Could I use my Boss OD-20 to either:

A) Set a low gain pre-set and use it for the clean channel.
or
B) Use one of the OD models to overdrive it.

I was also thinking about possibly using a volume pedal with it. Any suggestions?
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
a jcm 900 has two channels?
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
and i definately recommend you just use the amp to change things and use an od pedal for either further boost for solo or if you insist clean to distortion boost.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
For cleans, you are pretty much set with the amp cleans. If you don't like them, don't spend your money on the amp. Save for the Dual Reverb.
Here's the problem: The DR I was interested in, I can't buy. I've heard bands get cleans on the SL-X and I'm satisfied with them.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Guitar volume knob. It's old school, but it works.

You may want to do a very simple mod to your amp though so that when you turn it down you don't lose series. If you're willing to do a very small soldering job I can tell you how to make a treble bypass circuit so it won't get muddy when you turn down the volume.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Ive heard a lot of bad things about the SL-X for some reason. Having said that though, I love my Dual Reverb.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Guitar volume knob. It's old school, but it works.

You may want to do a very simple mod to your amp though so that when you turn it down you don't lose series. If you're willing to do a very small soldering job I can tell you how to make a treble bypass circuit so it won't get muddy when you turn down the volume.

Funny you say that. I was actually thinking about just getting a volume pedal and a Brian May Treble boost or something along those lines.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Guitar volume knob, that way you're getting the best sound out of your amp for distortion which is probably more important to you.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i thought SLXs were dual channel, kiss endorsed them forever, i cant remember but we had them in the shop all the time, i may be mixing up amps again
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by R_H_C_P
Guitar volume knob, that way you're getting the best sound out of your amp for distortion which is probably more important to you.

Cleans and distortion are both equally important to me. I was thinking about just getting a volume pedal. Wouldn't that mean I would have to crank my amp to get an audible clean, though?
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Quote by Ambulance X
Cleans and distortion are both equally important to me. I was thinking about just getting a volume pedal. Wouldn't that mean I would have to crank my amp to get an audible clean, though?

Or use an OD pedal as a clean boost.
The SL-X's are multi-channel amps...... they won't have reverb, so if you play a dual reverb with the reverb at zero, then it will pretty much sound exactly the same as a SL-X. If you want to spruce up the cleans, look into a chorus or compression pedal. Most Marshall cleans sound pretty similar, especially in the SL-X era. (90's)
I'd just use my guitar pot personally...you don't need an expression pedal.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Just set one of your pups to a low vlume and one to ten and switch, or if you want to go the no-hands route put a pentomiter in a box and attach a footswitch
Quote by Gutch220
The SL-X's are multi-channel amps...... they won't have reverb, so if you play a dual reverb with the reverb at zero, then it will pretty much sound exactly the same as a SL-X. If you want to spruce up the cleans, look into a chorus or compression pedal. Most Marshall cleans sound pretty similar, especially in the SL-X era. (90's)

You sure? The guys that's selling it to me tells me it's one channel.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
i thought they were 2 channel amps too, i cant remember all the models of SL-Xs but i remember selling alot of them because Kiss used them on a world tour and put their pictures all over the adds, and they mixed cleans and distortion in the 80s and 90s
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
If you need both cleans and distortion, just get the 2 channel JCM900, you'll like it more.
Don't be afraid to care"

Well, the JCM900 4100 I was looking at fell through. I'm just kinda trying to take what I can get at this point. This guy is selling the SL-X at a VERY fair price of $500 while the 4100 I might consider purchasing is $800.
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Don't settle. Wait a bit longer and the one you want is guaranteed to come up.
Don't be afraid to care"