How do the black metal bands get such crappy production quality?? i've always wondered. And just so im not spamming, discuss your thoughts and feelings on bad production quality.
They use bad mikes and bad mixers?

That's generally what gives bands bad sound production quality.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
I think that some black metal bands do it on purpose to make the sound a little more "edgy", but don't quote me on it.
its because they arent really focusing on making it mainstream...they record it for listeners who can respect the fact that its black metal and not care how the production sounds. and they dont purposly do it...they jut dont bother making it perfect
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Umm...it's a lot easier to have bad quality than good quality. They just use cheap recorders. It's not like they pay 10000$ for a studio and then say "okay now take what we recorded and make it sound bad."
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
i think they take a strat copy, with a 15 watt amp and play it through a phone so it records on to the answering machine. tell me if im wrong..
¤¤¤¤¤ ۩ ۝РЄŦĤ ۩ ¤¤¤¤¤
۩ ВŁĄÇĶŴĄŦЄŖ РĄŖĶ ۩

Quote by deadskinmask
I think you should listen to Bodom_Shredder7.

Quote by xolax
Listen to Bodom_Shredder, he knows what hes talking about

Quote by Alucard II
Bodom Shredder was right

SevenLastWordsOfChrist
its all a part of the elaborate black metal gimick. its not about whether or not they want to make it sound good cuz no equipment sounds that ****ty, demo albums mde for like 10 cents sound better. theres no doubt in my mind the do it on purpose. its just a part of the music as with the scratchy vocals, make up, imagery.
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
I would just like to note, that the kvltest my band ever got (we were basically hardrock), was when we recorded a few songs in a garage, on a talkboy,

As for bad production, I think sometimes it can come in handy. Terrible production? No, but, for example, on Emperor's "In the Nightside Eclipse" the production is far from perfect, but I think its great, and gives off a great atmosphere. Same goes for a band like Summoning. Really crap production, where its muddy, or just fuzzy or whatever, is just kinda dumb though personally.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i think they take a strat copy, with a 15 watt amp and play it through a phone so it records on to the answering machine. tell me if im wrong..

Originally Posted by acousticpyro23
Bitch get off my nuts.

Originally Posted by Vigilantius
I asked my mom for a cell phone once, and she said I don't have any friends anyways.
Ujum, take for example Limbonic Art's Moon In The Scorpio, the classic of classics and has not so good production.
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
personally i hate music with bad production for some reason thats wut turns me away from a lot of black metal, the production hurts my ears
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
Quote by metalmaster362
personally i hate music with bad production for some reason thats wut turns me away from a lot of black metal, the production hurts my ears

It takes some getting used to, for sure. I used to hate it, but after listening to stuff with gradually worse production, I stopped caring. Early Emperor is a good place to start personally, definitely not perfect production, but by no means terrible either. Really allows you to get used to it, and be able to get into other bands with not as good production.

Good thread BTW
^ thanks ^
Personally I enjoy the bad production quality, something a la Darkthrone, and thats why i was asking.
I find that "bad" production sounds fantastic(when done right). It enhances the overall sense of darkness/atmosphere/obscurity, blah blah blah.
Ever heard of Ildjarn, in forest poetry its the worst quality ever, yet is one of the best albulms i've ever heard. I can't describe it here, but its just one of the crazy albulms ever, and i love his vocals. The bad production is what helps it drive forward, making it a sweet albulm, (he like recorded under powerlines or something to get that sound right?) its the worst quality recording evah though.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
Poor production ist krieg. Treble at 11, bass and mid at -10, using kitchen ware as a drum kit, recorded from a jam session in your mom's garage with a 50 year old half working mic, that gets recorded so quiet that you have to turn your stereo all the way up to hear it at normal volume ist uber krieg.

crackle crackle fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz RAWR fzzzzzzzzz RA RA RA fuzzzzzzzzzzz crackle crackle RAWR fuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz thunk-a-thunk-a-thunk-a-thunk-a fuzz fuzzz fuzzzz ROOOOAAAAWWWWWWRRRRRRRR <followed by feedback>

^ equals recipe for an instant kvlt klassik
Quote by tarem
Ever heard of Ildjarn, in forest poetry its the worst quality ever, yet is one of the best albulms i've ever heard. I can't describe it here, but its just one of the crazy albulms ever, and i love his vocals. The bad production is what helps it drive forward, making it a sweet albulm, (he like recorded under powerlines or something to get that sound right?) its the worst quality recording evah though.

I've only heard a few Ildjarn songs, but they were brilliant.
You want bad production then listen to some Les Legion Noir bands. Sepecifically the one whic recorded their music with a microphone that was inserted into a dead rat. The band is called Mogoutre. Although it turns out after looking for that page they are Dark Ambient not BM but Vlad Tepes releases are terrible quality anyway so it still counts.
personally I can't stand bad production. So much so that I don't listen to bands that have it. So so production like Tomb of the Mutilated or something is ok, but some of the really crappy stuff I'll never get into.
Read my post. Not this.
BM would be so much better for the ears if they went to an actual studio to record instead of recording with a school P.A. system.

I guess it's for the feel of BM, to make it more dreary and what not.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
I much prefer the sound of slick production but I won't not listen to a band because of bad production. They just don't get listened to as much is all.
Metal Matt reserves the right to be a hypocrite whenever he damn well pleases
Quote by StuartR
The reason BM had such bad production was because DM had such a slick sound.

Formulas Fatal To The Flesh was slick?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
because i don't think they give a crap about whining fans and i don't think they care about the profit
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his
Quote by reef_d
because i don't think they give a crap about whining fans and i don't think they care about the profit

yea, its all about the music, not fame [thinks back to when darkthrone refused that award....]
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
Good production > bad production. I don't buy into the whole "lets have bad production for atmosphere" bullcrap. If they wanted atmosphere, wouldn't it make more sense to have better production? To me, atmosphere comes more from the actual music (melodies, chord progressions, etc.) than the production, and having bad production covers the music.

That said, I understand it if the album has bad production because they band can't get anything better.
Quote by Scourge441
Good production > bad production. I don't buy into the whole "lets have bad production for atmosphere" bullcrap. If they wanted atmosphere, wouldn't it make more sense to have better production? To me, atmosphere comes more from the actual music (melodies, chord progressions, etc.) than the production, and having bad production covers the music.

That said, I understand it if the album has bad production because they band can't get anything better.

Nah, if BM bands would record w/ good production, then the atmosphere would be lost, sometimes, not always.
At first, the bad production came from a lack of funds. Now, some bands do it on purpose by cutting everything but the mids.