I need to my tone to sound like the album siamese dream for my talent show and I need help, fast!
i would appreciate some pedals and eq levels, oh and I have a Laney guitar amplifier(much like vox...with a mid switch) and a HH strat.
Tommorow never knows

Member of the "I Can't (and Refuse To) Shred" Club. PM joshsirjoshules to join.

Member of the Grateful DeadFan Club. PM deadhead313 to join

Put and end to Racism!
umm...fuzz pedal? idk.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
You need an Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi, the Russian version. That's what they used. You don't have to worry about tweaking knobs, it sounds pretty much the same whenever.
Oh, hey joshsirjoshules thanks.
Tommorow never knows

Put and end to Racism!
Try that and I read that at some point they used a Fender Blender, so try that out as well. Just go to a store and ask to try out different fuzz pedals.
You'll need some sort of fuzz pedal, Electro Harmonix Big Muff American or Russian work fine. You'll also need a chorus pedal to capture the effects on songs like "Soma". If you want to play songs like "Love" or "Rhinocerous" you'll also want to invest in a Flanger pedal, a Boss BF-2 should do the trick. If you want to play some of the solo's that Iha does then you'll also want a Vox wah pedal, he used the wah on songs like "Bullet With Butterfly Wings" and "Today". I know that Billy used a compression pedal on "Today" during the verses, and also during the interlude on "Siva". You might also want to pick up a Delay pedal for the solo in "Hummer". Smashing Pumpkins require a lot of effects but if you save up the money and buy them piece by piece, new or used you'll end up with an army of effect pedals that you can then use in your own music.

EDIT:

I forgot to mention a whammy pedal heard on such songs as "Zero" and "Love".
Last edited by Sick_Boy at Sep 23, 2006,
Dude, you'll never get the SP tone............ unless you're able to record layers and layers and layers and layers of guitar !!!

Zero, for example
1. Corgan's Strat
2. Corgan's SemiHollow (the video)
3. Iha's Les Paul
4. Iha's Jaguar (the one on the video)
5. A 12-String accoustic

All of the above double-layered....... thus 10 layers.......... not to mention real time digital effects !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Yeah, I did hear that Hummer, as another example, has something like 50 layers of guitar at points. Pretty crazy.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
My suggestion is either a mixer........... amp slaving.......... octaver............ EVENTIDE ECLIPSE............ or a a a a a a recording studio..........

Keep the faith, baby!!
The Fender Blender was used mainly on Gish I believe.

Any fuzz pedal should get you in the right area
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
We are doing Rocket, and I dont need it to be studio perfect, smart ass.
Tommorow never knows

Put and end to Racism!
Quote by peanut head
We are doing Rocket, and I dont need it to be studio perfect, smart ass.

Rocket should really only require a fuzz pedal.
I could have sworn I heard a flanger in there to. The song is easy to learn but the tone is driving me nuts! Should I scoop the mids and play off the high end or play of the midsbecaude my 2nd guitarist is playing scopped. GOD!
Tommorow never knows

Put and end to Racism!
Nope, my Siamese Dream tab book just says fuzz and an octaver towards the end.
Iha handles the mid low range, billy high and mid.

You should proly do that too !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
If it's not too late I'd recommend doing a song off Gish. Those songs were not as complicated as the ones on Siamese Dreams and IMO better rock out songs.
Zero 4eva !!!

Keep the faith, baby!!