So, ive been playing guitar for 7 years, and would like to try out bass. I'm getting a rogue to mess around with, because i would not like to spend 200 bucks on a instrument i may not use. But thats not the point. The point is, do i have to get a bass amp to use a bass or will my guitar amp work fine? I'm thinking that there is a difference.otherwise, why would they market them as "bass amps" and "guitar amps", instead of just "amps"? Does the bass have higher voltage b/c of heavier strings that will end up frying my 160 watt johnson, or what?
Quote by frenchyfungus
Hmmm, all these people going on about fingering chords....makes me want to meet her.

Check out my nintendocore band, Super Luigi 65!
www.myspace.com/superluigi65
It is always possible that the speaker could be damaged by the extra low end. It doesn't always happen, but it's possible.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
ive done it before, but i put it on really low volume, because theres just abuncha things that can go wrong when plugging a bass into a guitar amp. id stay away from it.
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
hmm all depends, if you have detuned your guitar to like Drop Ab without any real buzzing then it should work fine but if you get a buzz on Ab i wouldnt even go for it
dont do it....lost a guitar amp because of it...luckily it was just a cheap practice amp, but still...a guitar amp just isnt made to handle the low pitch the bass makes...
According to wiki FAP really stands for familial adenomatous polyposis, a type of colon cancer.
--------------
Ibanez SZ720
Randall RG75D
--------------
Me Playing Stuff: Here
Quote by imnopunkrocker9
dont do it....lost a guitar amp because of it...luckily it was just a cheap practice amp, but still...a guitar amp just isnt made to handle the low pitch the bass makes...

I do it all the time, even done it with a tube amp with no problems. I just don't play turned up past like 2 or with any effects/od.
the lesser known of the 4
ok thanks. Any ideas on some really inexspensive practice amps?(i dontcare if the quialty is crap, i just need a cheapo amp. I dont care if its tiwan quality)

This one looks good:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-MAX-126-Bass-Practice-Combo?sku=481459
Quote by frenchyfungus
Hmmm, all these people going on about fingering chords....makes me want to meet her.

Check out my nintendocore band, Super Luigi 65!
www.myspace.com/superluigi65
Last edited by themanintheback at Sep 20, 2006,