How would you go about changing a speaker on a combo amp (Peavey Valveking)? Is it difficult at all? Also could you explain in steps so I know how to do it

Thanks very much
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
well first turn off your amp and unplug it
second take off the back of the amp, usually by takeing out some screws
third disconnect the speaker wires from the old speaker
fourth take out the old speaker, useually held in with some screws around the outside of the speakers frame, save the screws
fifth put in your new 12in speaker, problably with a screwgun and your old screws, or just get some SHORT corsethread drywall scews and use those
sixth re-connect your old speaker wire with your new speaker, remember to mach the polarity of the wires to the proper prong on the speaker, (solder them wires now)
now with everything still open and the speaker wires connected to the new speaker
test your amp and make sure everything works before putting the back on the amp.
if you didnt buy a celestian (shame on you) you need to break in the speaker, play loud and hard for a couple of hours and it will be all ready to go.
~jt
Shame on you if you don't buy a "Celestian?"
You can't even spell Celestion dip****. Celestions are good...but your statement was just plain ignorant.
Usually a spade connector is used to hook up the speaker.
And just to let you know, polarity doesn't matter unless you have two.
Breaking in a speaker just takes time...
Yes, even Celestions need to be broken in. All speakers do. It happens naturally.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
how do you go about buying a new speaker. I know the ohm and size have to match but what about the watts? Also what does rms mean?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
wattage is just it's capable handling. So if you have a 50w amp, you want your speaker(s) to total atleast 50w, probably more. RMS mean root mean square, it's usually a rating of how much it can handle before distorting.
Last edited by greenbox at Sep 21, 2006,
so you have to be able to solder, to disconnect and connect the wires?
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Quote by beau05
I'd say country or bluegrass would be pretty difficult, for being inbred is a pre-requisite
Unless it has the little spade connectors that slide. If you really want to get around it you can strip about an inch of the wire put it through the hole on the speaker tab and twist it, just make sure the two wires dont touch or it will short out the speaker and it wont make any noise. Just make sure that its twisted tight or it wont make good contact. Soldering is probibly a better idea though.
take out the old speaker, look at how the polarity on the wires is, and connect the same wires to the same places. soldering works best; loop the wire around, twist it tight, and solder it.

and don't forget to screw the new speaker on; i find they work best that way.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!