Well my friend is buying his first rig in a couple of days and I told him I would go to guitar center and help him out. So I know a bit about everything but would like to hear your opinions on what he should get. He wants something versatile so it needs good cleans and good distortion. He obviously needs both a guitar and an amp and maybe even a distortion pedal. Try to keep it within $1000 if its a little more thats alright and I need replies quickly please we might be going tommorow thanks.
Schecter C-1 Classic
Line 6 Spider II Halfstack or Crate Halfstack.
Line 6 PODXT Live
"Speed is nothing without control" - Bart Frydrychowitcz

Mark Morton is a God

Gear
Schecter Gryphon Diamond Series Limited Edition
Carvin SX-300 Half Stack
Podxt Live
V-amp 2
Peavey Transtube 110efx
why does he need a distortion pedal if he doesnt kno how to play yet? he should save money and just buy a cheap amp and a decent guitar. I say if he doesnt really kno how to play well, he shouldnt spend 1000 dollars on a nice rig. Id recomend just buying like a epiphone or a fender starters pack for like 200 bucks or somthing. but if you wanna go ahead spend that kinda money, stick with the fender strat. nothin better. keep in mind, you can approach the gibson sound with a fender strat but you cant approach the strat sound on a gibson. even though I love gibsons lol. Idk its up to him I suppose.
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
i disagree with phycadelicart because if he dicieds he doesnt wat to play or anything he could get almost all the money back off ebay or somthing and then if he gets good he wont need to upgrade
Fender Mexican strat, Fender Blues junior amp, and maybe an ibanez tubescreamer for distortion. That is a great rig, that will last for many years of playing. Oh, and don't listen to the first reply, that guy is an idiot, a crappy halfstack is not the kind of amp anyone should want to own.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
imo i dont think a tube amp is good for a beginer unless they know how to maintain it well
well there's nothing to really maintain on a blues jr. there isnt even a standby switch.

i think a fat strat, a blues jr, and 2 or three pedals would give a Great sound. But would be too loud for bedroom practice.

he's probably better off with a Vox or Cube 30 solid state. (cube if he likes high gain more)
these are effects amps so he wouldnt even need a pedal.

and a mex fat strat, or similar guitar. (two single coils and a humbucker.) for variety.

the whole thing should cost way under budget.
with the rest he could pick up a few lessons.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
well there's nothing to really maintain on a blues jr. there isnt even a standby switch.

i think a fat strat, a blues jr, and 2 or three pedals would give a Great sound. But would be too loud for bedroom practice.

he's probably better off with a Vox or Cube 30 solid state. (cube if he likes high gain more)
these are effects amps so he wouldnt even need a pedal.

and a mex fat strat, or similar guitar. (two single coils and a humbucker.) for variety.

the whole thing should cost way under budget.
with the rest he could pick up a few lessons.

Ok thanks noise really isnt an issue since he lives in a mansion with 15 or 20 rooms but I'll check that out do you think a fat strat would be better than an RG1570 Shecter Classic or Hellraiser?
Quote by Osiris77
Ok thanks noise really isnt an issue since he lives in a mansion with 15 or 20 rooms but I'll check that out do you think a fat strat would be better than an RG1570 Shecter Classic or Hellraiser?

he can get a double Humbucker guitar if he plays more metal or heavy rock.
in that case i would suggest a higher gain amp as well. (tube, peavy or marshall)

for a well rounded sound ull want a guitar with singles and a humbucker like the fat strat. or an HSH like some ibanez.

also, if he wants to shred then he'll proabably want a floyd.
if he wants a fixed bridge then there's TOM like on gibsons, or a string thru TOM like schecters.

strat trems are simple to use and maintain, but only change pitch. no dive bombs.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Alight so I narrowed it down a bit.

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe or Vox AD50 for the Amp with and Ibanez Tube Screamer or Boss overdrive.

Scheter C-1 Classic, a Fender Fat Strat or an Ibanez RG1570 for the guitar.

From those what do you think would be best?
Quote by jj1565
he can get a double Humbucker guitar if he plays more metal or heavy rock.
in that case i would suggest a higher gain amp as well. (tube, peavy or marshall)

for a well rounded sound ull want a guitar with singles and a humbucker like the fat strat. or an HSH like some ibanez.

also, if he wants to shred then he'll proabably want a floyd.
if he wants a fixed bridge then there's TOM like on gibsons, or a string thru TOM like schecters.

strat trems are simple to use and maintain, but only change pitch. no dive bombs.

Ok I just updated what I'm looking at ^. An for the dive bomb thing I know what you mean there I've been trying to learn em with my highway 1 and its not working very well, lol.
well fender hot rods are great, but again, Not high gain.

schecter and fender tube dont really compliment each other. i have both, trust me.

and if u get the vox, which will be more versatile, u wont need the pedals, because the effects are all there.

so to recap...
if he's into blues, classic, rock a little harder than a strat and fender tube amp.
if you want more gain, then the vox and the schecter are fine.
if u want to shred then maybe the ibanez and a cube 60. then u get most gain and a floyd.

these are not the only combinations. for example if u want higher gain tube amp u might want to look at a traynor blue 50.

and really any of the other guitars, just suit the players style as best as u can.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

and wouldnt using a tube screamer with the hot rod make it sound good high gain or is that a bad idea?
it gives it a great overdrive, dirty sound, right up to about heavy, but not really for metal.

you can get high gain with fender tubes. but they arent really at their best at high gain.

ill use my blues junior with a tube screamer and sometimes a layered distortion.
it can get u pretty heavy, even more with a jekyl and hyde, but if u want a high gain amp, start with one. just my opinion.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Fender MIM Tele, Blues Jr. and Tube Screamer =)
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.