I just got my new 6505 hooked up to a cabinet, and the sound starts cutting out in a farting noise whenever I turn the gain above 5. What am I doing wrong? Also what is the volume control? There is a huge amount of buzzing from the amp even on low gains, could it be the tubes?
Verify that you have enough mids in your sound. Too much Low without mids make ENORMOUS feedback. It's an high gain amp, so expect soem background noise, but if you tweak it well, you can get an awesome tone
I just noticed, when I flick on the standby switch the led doens't light up... is this normal?

edit: it doesn't light up untill I turn on the power switch.
Quote by gunther_sucks
I just noticed, when I flick on the standby switch the led doens't light up... is this normal?

edit: it doesn't light up untill I turn on the power switch.

Your doing it backwards..

Turn on the POWER switch for a minute or two to warm up the tubes. Then flip he standby and
Quote by joining_heads
Your doing it backwards..

Turn on the POWER switch for a minute or two to warm up the tubes. Then flip he standby and

AH, thanks a million. I just read the manual and that wasn't included :O. I tried everything but the buzzing/farting noise still occurs when turning the post gain up past 2. It sounds like it may be struggling for power but I am not sure.
I know this has nothing to do with the question, but where the hell did you find a 6505 in Alaska ive searched everywhere.
What output on the amp are you using and what input on the cab are you using? And what cab are you using? And are you SURE youre using a SPEAKER chord and not an instrument cable?
Quote by kurdtkobaign
What output on the amp are you using and what input on the cab are you using? And what cab are you using? And are you SURE youre using a SPEAKER chord and not an instrument cable?

I am using a genz benz g-flex. I am using a monster speaker cable (bought it form a store specific for this a week ago.). Left Parallel output(amp) into the center input(cab) which is mono/right 4 ohm or 8 ohm. I am using it with 4 ohms.

I got the 6505 off of ebay fromt he seller thisoldguitar

He only charged 30 for shipping via ups ground. cost me 730 for a brand new(I'm assuming) 6505.
The safest way to go before playing through it any more is to just take it to a tech. It sounds like you have some money, it wont be that much anyways...if not free for just a quick check to see if anything it wrong with it.
Maybe there's a dead dragonfly in one of your power amp tubes......
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
What's a dragonfly? If I were to retube it would I replace the preamp and poweramp tubes? If there is a fault in a tube I am going to replace all of them now. I looked around and there aren't really any techs within a managable distance so any help is appreciated.

Also, what color should your tubes glow? Mine are a dull orange and I have seen some pictures of bright blue tubes. Thanks.
Quote by gunther_sucks
What's a dragonfly?

Its a kind of plane. Its also a movie (a good one at that)...but one thing its NOT is a flying insect with an elongated abdomen.

Quote by joining_heads
Is the impendance switch on the back of the amp set to 4 ohms?

I called Peavey tech support earlier, when I was hooking my new head up, just to make sure, and the guy at ts told me to set it to 16.?? Why set it to 4? I'm asking because this is my first boutique type apm, and I'm a complete dumbass when it comes to setting the thing up correctly.
Never underestimate technical knowledge when handling electronics, dragonflies !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!