Alright well... last year for Christmas I got a new amp. I know somebody's probably gonna kick my ass for this one, but the amp I got was a used Marshall MG100CD head. I don't really need anybody jumping down my throat about the amp though, because it was a christmas present and it came off of ebay for like 120.

Now, on the bright side, my parents also gave me a pair of Marshall 1960's that were actually new. The idea was for me to eventually replace the crappy SS head with a good tube one.

So now my parents ran into some money and are talking about me finally getting that dream head I want. I'm having trouble picking between a Marshall JCM2000 TSL 100 or a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier.

The band I've been in for the last year or so plays (pretty much) hard rock. We mainly play originals, but every now and then we'll cover songs by bands like Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Nickelback, or Three Days Grace.
We also screw around sometimes and play Skynyrd Songs, though, too. We don't bother trying to nail the skynyrd tone, instead we just play our regular cleans and distortion.

I've pretty much been set on a Dual Rec for a long time... and I've heard that a dual rectifier through marshall 1960 cabs in pretty sweet. However, recently I've heard a lot that the dual rectifiers are pretty much a one-trick pony. I don't want and amp that has no cleans or that I can't dial back the distortion on every now and then. I need to have good cleans, or at least decent, and I don't care if my semi-distorted sound out of the amp is great, as long as it's acceptable.

People have been trying to convince me to get a Marshall, but I want a 3 channel amp so the only one that really applies to me is the TSL 100. I don't know if it would be any more versatile or not, but I'm worried that because it's a British-voiced amp I won't be able to nail the tones that I need.

Opinions? Basically I want to know if a dual rectifier really sucks unless it's on full blown distortion.
im needing the same advice, i've been faced between the same two amps and i have the same doubts iwht the boogie, i love the distortion but i cant decide because i really need good cleans, i dont know how to decide... i love the edge the boogie has but i really need good cleans... ahhh!

-dave
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa
Get a JSX lol. (Im sorry for answering this for everything). It is versatile, good distortion, good cleans, good crunch channel. and it should sound great through 1960 cabs. And out of the two you chose, Id say a TSL, isnt amazing in any area, but its got pretty decent cleans and distortion, where as the mesa youre looking at amazing distortion but not so great cleans.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Yeah I dunno. I thought about a Peavy XXX or JSX but for some reason they never appealed that much to me. I'm probably gonna try a few different amps soon when I feel like driving all the way to the damn music store, since guitar center around here doesn't carry Mesa so I have to drive like 30 minutes out of the way.

Are the Mesa's cleans really that bad?
Try them both out, decide by playing a load of amps, that works best.

And you don't need 2 Marshall cabs at all.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
The Mesa IS NOT a one trick pony. Nothing close. In all honesty, it is one of the most versatile amps out there, by far!

I play anything for sparkling clean parts, to crunch a la chillipeppers or classic rock, all the way to hard rock and metal, Alter Bridge, Breaking Benjamin, etc.

Anyone that says the mesa isn't versatile has not played one.
Mark IV > Dual Recto

I think the Mark series does those "in between" tones you're talking about more convincingly than the Dual Rectos.
Hi, I'm Peter
I'm with Pete. You probably want a Mesa, but not necesasarily a Recto.

Have you looked at the Stiletto series?
i've owned a tsl for quite some time now and i'm still not interested in getting any other head.
Don't fall into the same trap as most of the other fanboys on this forum and refuse to look beyond Marshall and Mesa. There are so many other great amps out there. For the ability to get a good heavy distortion that still maintains smoothness and also has excellent cleans the ability to roll back the gain for a classic rock tone, think about Orange. The Rockerverb series would probably suit you best since they have the most gain. Also the Thunderverb is coming out soon but that baby is going to be like 200 watts, overkill to the max if you ask me.

Bogner, Badcat, ENGL, these are all potential amps you can look into that will give you exactly what you're looking for. You didn't mention your budget so if any of these are out of your price range, just ignore the suggestion. Out of Mesa and Marshall, however, I will go with Marshall every time. I definately believe the Dual Rec, and all other Mesas, are a one-trick pony, like a few other people have said. Great for metal and hard rock tones, crappy cleans and a bad overdrive when you roll back the gain. If you insist on going the standard way and getting Marshall, you just have to get a JCM 800, either a DSL 50 or one of the 1-channels with a good OD pedal. I recommend either the Tubescreamer, Banzai, Okko's Diablo, or a Fulltone.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
Quote by rockxwl
I definately believe the Dual Rec, and all other Mesas, are a one-trick pony, like a few other people have said. Great for metal and hard rock tones, crappy cleans and a bad overdrive when you roll back the gain.

Ok, from now on, no one should ever listen to you again. Go play a Lone Star, tell me it has crappy cleans. Go play an F series or Mark series or a Subway Blues amp and tell me it has poor in-between tones.
Hi, I'm Peter
Go for ENGL, better cleans than the suggested Mesa Boogie and Marshall amps and has great overdrive which can go high-gain if you desire.
I know it sounds stupid, but I think you should but a Vox Valvetronix AD100VT, which has cabinet outputs as well as a huge head. A good think about it is it is a mix of valve and transistor, so you get the right sounds, and a lightweight amp. I think you could plug in your 1960's into it as well for more volume
Quote by Dirk Gently
Ok, from now on, no one should ever listen to you again. Go play a Lone Star, tell me it has crappy cleans. Go play an F series or Mark series or a Subway Blues amp and tell me it has poor in-between tones.

Agreed...Lone Star + dual tube screamers = Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I didn't like Marshall DSL when I tried it, the voicing was too... modern. If you like that, great. If I had money It would be an AC30, Laney or 6505. For different reasons obviously.
Quote by highvoltage66
OMG y cant u people buy ur own amp insted of having ur parents get it for you jeez

but get a mesa boogie

Because I'm in high school and football doesn't really allow time for a job? And the money I do have goes to gas cause my truck gets 12 miles to the gallon :-/

I thought about the stilletto series amps but I want a 3 channel amp to make my life a little easier playing live. I'd look into engl amps, but there's no dealer that carries them anywhere around here. And I'm not about to try to order something without playing through it.

Also, whoever said that 2 1960s are overkill, I wasn't about to complain when I got them lol.. I only play through the angled cab and the other guitarist in the band runs his combo through the straight cab.

I'm not really asking for great "in between" tones. I'm just asking for them to be there. I'm just not convinced whether or not a british-voiced amp can get me the smooth distortion I want for heavy rhythm sounds.
Mark IV. I'm telling you.

3 channels + footswitchable graphic EQ + freedom to use either 6L6s, 6V6s or EL34s = more versatility than a contortionist girl with 3 vaginas at a gangbang
Hi, I'm Peter