http://tinyurl.com/p9vmw

people over at 18watt.com seem to get all teary-eyed over this thing. i'm wondering if anybody here knows of schematics for this and whether a direct out jack can be jury-rigged into it, and have it run simultaneously with the the speaker.

btw, i asked this question over there, but i think this place gets a little more traffic
Line out info here:
http://singlecoil.com/
As for schem...I think it's just a big dual ganged rheostat?
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
so i just picked this thing up. i'm using it with my 50-watt MONO amplifier. but the attenuator is 50/50 STEREO. how do i rig this to be 100w MONO? its got Right(+/-), left(+/-) ins, and Right(+/-), left(+/-) outs. how do i connect these together?
Why do you want to? It will just increase the power rating...no point unless you have a 50 watt amp.

I wouldn't be suprised if you can run more than 50 watts into it anyways.

If you still want to though I can maybe help.
thanks for the help Pinky. i've been reading that an attenuator should rate double the wattage as the amplifier (on weber's site, at 18watt.com and ax86.com). hence, 100watt attenuator for my 50watt amp. i was told that if i wire the radio shack attenuator in parrallel that i'll get 100 watts mono. but that will make it 4-ohms...

OH MY GOOD!!! MY HEAD JUST EXPLODED...

let me start over. breath in.... breath out... i am a leaf on the wind... i am one with the universe....

ok

i was told that i should wire this thing in parrallel*. since it has left and a right inputs (and outputs for that matter) i could just hook up 1, 1/4in input jack for each (ie: 1, 1/4in jack for the right input, 1 for the left. same for the output), and then just use a Y-cable.

or, wire in 2 stereo input jacks. 1 for the l/r inputs. 1 for the l/r outputs.

is this cool so far?

now for the asterisk. I read that this method makes the attenuator 4 ohms (originally 8 ohms). in my amp i have 1, 8 ohm speaker-out, and 2, 4 ohm speaker-outs.

is there any way that i can use my 8 ohm speaker with this setup?

sorry for sounding so deliberate. i want to be as clear as possible. but maybe in doing so i've muddied things. please let me know if something i've said doesn't make sense
Last edited by sethp at Sep 22, 2006,
so that thing just lowers the power output of your amp? as in its a complete power attinuator?
i just had another thought. if wiring these attenuators in parrallel makes them 4 ohm, then could i get 2 of them, wire them parrallel. 1 each for my 4-ohm speaker outs, and then use a Y-cable from the 2 attenuators to my 8-ohm speaker?
You could...
I'd just use it as it is now. A pot can take alot of power. You can pump a ton of power into that thing.
^I wouldn't buy two...I'd just buy a Weber attenuator with a speaker motor for 100(I did).
wow kick arse, thats a pretty good deal, like 40 bucks, better than the 200$ thd one...
I would get ready for some massive treble loss and compression if you used the Ratshack one though.