OK heres my question

I wanna go up a gauge or 2 for my new 60th Anniversary Strat (u can is it in my other post) but it has .009s on it now and the nut is snug against these but not tight.
Do i need to cut it to fit the bigger gauge?? and if i put a higher gauge on is ther a chance it will crack the nut?

Thanks Guys
Nathan
if you put 10's on.. you shouldn't have a problem.

11's and above you might start having problems.
Quote by p2fyre
if you put 10's on.. you shouldn't have a problem.

11's and above you might start having problems.

Is that the same with all (or most) guitars?
Blues Power
the guitar wont break with large strings. but the bridge might lift a little. when that happens just tighten the springs in the back trem cavity.

and if thicker gauges snag in the nut...
opening up a nut cut is easy if u know wha ur doing. but if u dont follow the slope of the cut / <- upwards towrd the board, or if u over file, u wont be able to go back to thinner gauge, and run the risk of first fret, fret buzz.

a good tool for it is a toothpick wrapped in fine sand paper. a couple of passes is all u need.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i changed the strings on my strat from 9's to 10's, didn't need any nut adjustment but the bridge did lift up noticeably as said above by jenny.

my solution was to fit an extra spring in the cavity (from 3 to 4), that worked well for me.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
u could just smile.

Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man