Rub the stick on the fretboard, wipe clean. Its highly recommendable you remove the strings 1st. Personally i dont like it, as it dries, i find that the freboard becomes stickier or have more sense of gripping, which i dont like. Also can make your strings grip your fretting hands too if applied too much.

Probably just me, i just leave out my fretboard until it shows signs of wearing, then i'd clean it using toothbrush and some other stuff.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Its highly recommendable you remove the strings 1st.
From the packaging:

1. Rub stick firmly over strings and fingerboard, before and after playing
2. Wipe excess away with enclosed cloth
^^Yeah dude, it's ment to go on the strings... sorry. The instructions are on the tube... IMO, don't get it... it does nothing really.
Quote by BorisTheFish
From the packaging:

1. Rub stick firmly over strings and fingerboard, before and after playing
2. Wipe excess away with enclosed cloth

If you rub it while your strings are on, you wouldnt get to apply it to the whole fretboard 100%. You gotta detune your strings, push it a little and apply it, the stick isnt small you know, its enough to please a woman. Even if you loosen it, the strings might get in your way, might as well take it off. And like i said, if you apply it on your strings, you gotta make sure you wipe them off and let dry, or else it'd get sticky.

Waste of cash and time IMO.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by suckasucks
the paper thing around the stick doesnt come off. is it supposed to?

No, it's to keep the contents damp.
The GHS Fast Fret is for cleaning and conditioning the strings and the frets themselves. It's okay to get some on the fingerboard, but there are better products for that purpose.

To apply GHS Fast Fret, just run it lengthwise up and down the strings, pressing lightly so that it also hits each fret as you go by.

The white brush is a fiberglass-type material that works as an abrassive agent. Similar types of materials are used to clean the tarnish off of electrical contacts and motor commutators. The outer paper/string wrap is necessary for keeping the fiberglass-like fibers bunched up together so do not remove it.

The liquid that it holds appears to be a mixture of a degreasing agent and a lubricant. The purpose of the product is to use a combination of abrassion and the degreasing agent to losen and melt dirt/grime from strings and frets, and then to have that soaked up by the brush, and leave behind a thin layer of lubricant after the cleaning agent as evaporated.

It appears that the liquid will be used up long before the brush would ever wear out.

Anyway, I use it on my D'Addario strings and I like it a lot. The freshly lubed feel is most excellent. I use something else to clean and condition my ebony fingerboard. Because of the abbrassive nature of the brush, I am wondering if it will be a good idea to use it on coated strings such as Elixir's. I have two sets of those on the way (for the T-Shirt) so I'll find out soon enough.
Ibanez RG2570E, Epiphone VJH-PP, Celestion V30 Lopo Line 1x12, EHX Metal Muff, Yamaha Magicstomp MKII, Tascam CD-GT1 MKII
^^^
No buddy, I dont think its a good idea to put em on Elixirs. They are already too slippery, for my taste at least. GHS Fast Fret is basically a string cleaning device. It can work on the fretboard, but i prefer Lemon oil on my rosewood & ebony fretboards. On the strings, however, it works great. Someone said apply it gently, DONT! Rub the stick FIRMLY on the strings lengthwise as noted on the package, so that it wipes off all that grime & stuff from within the windings. Cleans up the rust too. Now let it be like that for a couple o minutes, and then wipe it clean with the provided cloth. Yes it makes hte strings a little sticky, but i kinda like it like that. Helps in precision. Peace out.
I use the Fast Fret and it is ok. I dont like the slippery feel that it gives, so I just put it on AFTER I play a show/ jam session. That way the next time I place it feels so fresh and so clean. I dont know about any long term effects it has on the fretboard though......
"The more I learn, the more I see how little I truly know."
Quote by Nadco3
I use the Fast Fret and it is ok. I dont like the slippery feel that it gives, so I just put it on AFTER I play a show/ jam session. That way the next time I place it feels so fresh and so clean. I dont know about any long term effects it has on the fretboard though......

Ditto.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
ghs fast fret is mineral oil. says on the package. not sure where you get the 'fiberglass thing.' doesnt seem abrasive to me. the oil really brings out the sound of the strings, even new ones. you can leave it on if your strings are sticky (sweaty fingers) or wipe it off. it will darken your rosewood fretboard. it works on elixers too. just wipe it off if it is too slick.

it sucks on electric strings for some reason. makes them sound dead.
what
i just used it on my set of ghs eric johnson sigs and they seem fine so thanks everyone