At the metal-archives, if you did a search for lyrical themes, Paganism you come up with a lot of bands. A lot of popular bands in the Folk/viking and sometimes black metal scene are pagans. Varg from burzum is pagan, The guys from Einherjer were pagans, Aggalloch are pagans, Falkenbach is a pagan band. I'm a pagan before i came to metal, and for some reason i just like metal. Many bands sing song about bringing back paganism, Varg writes books on bringing back paganism. (well, kinda)
Cruachan released an albulm called "pagan." What is is about paganism that seems to go hand in hand with metal, as far as i can tell, Since Skyclad became the first "pagan" metal band ever, it seems as if so many people are following in the same tracks, including me...

give your insites upon this fact.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
Metal goes against popular culture. Popular culture is Christianity. The natural enemy of the Christian is the Pagan. Therefore, Paganism is the enemy of popular culture.
people voice their beliefs through music. metal is one of the genres which is most open to voicing your beliefs; most of the popular music nowadays deals with bull****, meaningless issues.
^not sure i agree with you dude, a lot of metal-heads know a bunch about paganism....
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

I guess cause Paganism is the rival and true enemy of Christianity because Christians took away the Pagan lands of Northern Europe.
I find it interesting that nobody ever mentions how vikings used to go into monestaries and pillage them, burn them down, and slaughter all the priests and monks.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Probably because alot of good metal bands are from northern Europe and that's where a bunch of Paganism was(or is).
Quote by tarem
^not sure i agree with you dude, a lot of metal-heads know a bunch about paganism....

Name 5 different pagan gods.

Quote by LedZeppelin
I find it interesting that nobody ever mentions how vikings used to go into monestaries and pillage them, burn them down, and slaughter all the priests and monks.

Because that is a load of bs, even knights did that if the chosen church had enough money.

And Vikings were merchants first, Big horned killes second
Last edited by Davidian at Sep 21, 2006,
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
What Pagan religion? Vishnu, Enki, Anu, Odin, Zeus, Marduk, Kalki, Loki, Hel, Inanna, Isthar, Aries. Keep going?

can I get a cookie davidian?

Zeus is a hellenic god.

Anu is an sumerian god.

Hel was the daughter of loki therefor a goddess and not a god

So no you dont get a cookie.
So, Sumerians are not pagans? You do know how broad the word pagan is. Oh mr Know it all there are 2 in there that dont really fall in Pagan gods?

Being Vishnu and Kalki. Both Hindu, well Kalki is a incarnation of vishnu to bring on the end of the world

you fail davidian :P I GET MY DAMN COOKIE!
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
What Pagan religion? Vishnu, Enki, Anu, Odin, Zeus, Marduk, Kalki, Loki, Hel, Inanna, Isthar, Aries. Keep going?

can I get a cookie davidian?

Pwned.

Btw, Vikings most certainly did pillage churches quite frequently, allthought not as frequently as most people try to say.

EDIT:
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
So, Sumerians are not pagans? You do know how broad the word pagan is. Oh mr Know it all there are 2 in there that dont really fall in Pagan gods?

Being Vishnu and Kalki. Both Hindu, well Kalki is a incarnation of vishnu to bring on the end of the world

Pwnage
Don't analyze my beliefs & I won't pick out the flaws in yours
Last edited by RingmasterTJ at Sep 21, 2006,
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh

Sumerians were mostly egyptian tainted in the myth's

You have the draw the line somewhere bitch or else whe can call the romans pagan's to(wich they were at early stages )

But you can get your cookie come and get it *puts cookie between buttcheeks*

Quote by RingmasterTJ
Pwned.

Btw, Vikings most certainly did pillage churches quite frequently.

Like i said who didnt at that time? They dont call it the dark ages for nothing.
Quote by Alucard II
people voice their beliefs through music. metal is one of the genres which is most open to voicing your beliefs; most of the popular music nowadays deals with bull****, meaningless issues.

this is true

however the whole "metal is for pagens" idea that so many people have, I think its bull, I'm a practicing catholic and I like metal as much as anyone on earth.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Quote by Davidian
Sumerians were mostly egyptian tainted at that time.

You have the draw the line somewhere bitch or else whe can call the romans pagan's to(wich they were at early stages )

They are all damn pagans you tard jesus H christ. Do you even know what Pagan means? Its auctiually a "Curse" word invented by the christians during the time of rome's occupation (and of course downfall) to describe the people who held on to the ways of old. Usually being the people not in the cities but the ones out in the country. The rednecks, the simple folk, the retarded ass **** people that pick up cow ****.

Granted pagan now refers to "ANY" religion dealing with more than one god. or anything that isnt one of the 3 religions of abraham.
Quote by uuuuhhhhhhhh
They are all damn pagans you tard jesus H christ. Do you even know what Pagan means? Its auctiually a "Curse" word invented by the christians during the time of rome's occupation (and of course downfall) to describe the people who held on to the ways of old. Usually being the people not in the cities but the ones out in the country. The rednecks, the simple folk, the retarded ass **** people that pick up cow ****.

Granted pagan now refers to "ANY" religion dealing with more than one god. or anything that isnt one of the 3 religions of abraham.

Its means "civilian" or something in latin(its been a while back since i have worked on my pagan history )

but yeah you are right, please dont grim slap me anymore
Quote by Davidian
Its means "civilian" or something in latin(its been a while back since i have worked on my pagan history ) (

It means countrymen.

/latin nerd
Quote by madbasslover
you've just received the first official Madbasslover's Seal of Asskickery.

Cas Appreciator #4. PM Skeptopotamus to Appreciate.

Private Donut of the Red VS Blue Club. pm fret13 to join
^ Latin is ****ing awesome, every language sucks comparatively. It makes so much sense.

Quote by Davidian

Because that is a load of bs, even knights did that if the chosen church had enough money.

And Vikings were merchants first, Big horned killes second

A load of BS? Tell that to my dad who has a PHD in history. It's in several of his textbooks from college which are actually sitting right next to me.

Why would Knights pillage churches? They were under the command of the Church. And while some rogue Knights MAY have done it, it's a fact that viking raids on helpless monks happened frequently during the middle ages.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by LedZeppelin
^ Latin is ****ing awesome, every language sucks comparatively. It makes so much sense.

A load of BS? Tell that to my dad who has a PHD in history. It's in several of his textbooks from college which are actually sitting right next to me.

Why would Knights pillage churches? They were under the command of the Church. And while some rogue Knights MAY have done it, it's a fact that viking raids on helpless monks happened frequently during the middle ages.
I am not saying that they did not do it allot but its a shame that that is what they are know for and not what they did best; trading.

They sailed to constantinople and even got in the byzantine army as an elite unit.

After the 100 year war allot of english knights took control of things and stayed in france and conquered a couple of castles and looted churches quite frequently and why not? the basterds had allot of money.

Venice even hired them and the church did nothing about it.
Quote by LedZeppelin

I study latin and its probably he hardest of languages alothough it is one of funnest to learn.
Booyah

Sinforsale....I guess you were right. I was wrong.
Latin isn't that hard...sure I'm no master but it makes more sense than english.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by LedZeppelin

hic haec hoc
huius huius huius
hui hui hui
hunc hanc hoc
hoc hac hoc

hi hae haec
horum harum horum
his his his
hos has haec
his his his

^ ehhhhhhh? wtf....... (your sig is awesome by the way)

I just hate the term pagan, it basically means nothing when describing music and there's so many different "pagan" religions that in general it effectively means nothing. For example, a roomful of people who call themselves pagans:

first guy "Oooh oooh! I'm a pagan!"
second guy "Me too!"
first guy "Hail Odin lol"
second guy "Odin's an ass ****. Hail Zeus"
third guy chimes in "Svarog FTW!"
fourth guy comes in "Cthulu lololol"
second guy again "Cthulu's made up moron"
fifth guy "....all your gods are"
1 through 4 "shut up"
Quote by Ramseus
^ ehhhhhhh? wtf....... (your sig is awesome by the way)

I just hate the term pagan, it basically means nothing when describing music and there's so many different "pagan" religions that in general it effectively means nothing. For example, a roomful of people who call themselves pagans:

first guy "Oooh oooh! I'm a pagan!"
second guy "Me too!"
first guy "Hail Odin lol"
second guy "Odin's an ass ****. Hail Zeus"
third guy chimes in "Svarog FTW!"
fourth guy comes in "Cthulu lololol"
second guy again "Cthulu's made up moron"
fifth guy "....all your gods are"
1 through 4 "shut up"

aggreed. Thats why many people have started calling themselves heathen, to try and stay arway from these materilistic new-age so called "pagan" religions like wikka. I'm a norse heathen, but not Asatru becouse most people who practice Asatru are a bunch of gay sissies, and don't even understand the meaning of being a heathen....
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Quote by Icarus66
hic haec hoc
huius huius huius
hui hui hui
hunc hanc hoc
hoc hac hoc

hi hae haec
horum harum horum
his his his
hos has haec
his his his

Hey, they follow most of the declensions.
Quote by HuckIt
^ i hate latin, i had to take year....
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Quote by Davidian
Zeus is a hellenic god.

Anu is an sumerian god.

Hel was the daughter of loki therefor a goddess and not a god

So no you dont get a cookie.

You don't need to name Norse gods to be a pagan.

A person I know very well (and most into underground metal/ns metal know of) is deep into Thelemic magik. He's still 'pagan.'

Therefore those such as Anu and Enki (or Thoth, to suit these particular esoterics) are quite valid. This is common to the Enochian Masonic guilds.

Me, I'm an Odjinnist. Rather than gods though, my Vanir are the energies to aspire to, and to project to on the Astral plane.

I really couldn't be fukked discussing esoterics with boobs on the intrawebz. But to point out the posers has its kicks.
Shadilay.
Quote by morbid_death
You don't need to name Norse gods to be a pagan.

A person I know very well (and most into underground metal/ns metal know of) is deep into Thelemic magik. He's still 'pagan.'

Therefore those such as Anu and Enki (or Thoth, to suit these particular esoterics) are quite valid. This is common to the Enochian Masonic guilds.

Me, I'm an Odjinnist. Rather than gods though, my Vanir are the energies to aspire to, and to project to on the Astral plane.

I really couldn't be fukked discussing esoterics with boobs on the intrawebz. But to point out the posers has its kicks.

You bieng an Odjinnist does not suprise me in the slightest
I always understood Paganism as being the aboriginal cultures' beliefs.

Such as the Indians of America..they're belief system was referred to as a Pagan religion, as it is with any other aboriginal culture..atleast I think.

And just to clarify..someone explain to me the whole idea of being a(n) Odjinnist..
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
I think all of this paganism in metal is kind of stupid. Many bands talk about how they hate Christianity, but then subscribe to an equally false, primitive and outdated set of beliefs. Doesn't stop me from listening to it though, I rarely care about lyrics.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Quote by AzureNight
I think all of this paganism in metal is kind of stupid. Many bands talk about how they hate Christianity, but then subscribe to an equally false, primitive and outdated set of beliefs. Doesn't stop me from listening to it though, I rarely care about lyrics.

Paganism doesn't have anything to do with hating Christianity. Very rarely will I go on rants even degrading or discrediting Christianity. Infact I probably get on with Christians better than any other Judaic religion.

Genuine Pagan bands rather speak out against Christianity for it is the result of Jewish perversion of the Germanic peoples and spirituality over the last two millennia.

Hence the slogan on the back of Gontyna Kry's shirt, "Support the war against Judeo-Christianity."

Quote by AzureNight
And just to clarify..someone explain to me the whole idea of being a(n) Odjinnist.

It's a fancy way of writing Odinnist. Also referred to as Wotanism. It is the way of life.
Shadilay.
Quote by AzureNight

Many of these pagan bands you speak of don't necessarily hate or dislike christianity because it's a worse religion than say any given pagan religion. They dislike christianity because it is not their native religion. If I was a Pole why would I give a **** about a bunch of jews in a desert (chirstianity). Naturally I would care more about Slavic heathenism.
I know, obviously not all bands do it, but there seems to be a general interest in paganism in metal anyways, and a general dislike of other organized religions. Slavic mythology interests me too (I'm Polish), but it still is a primitive, outdated set of beliefs.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
Quote by morbid_death

Genuine Pagan bands rather speak out against Christianity for it is the result of Jewish perversion of the Germanic peoples and spirituality over the last two millennia.

Well to be honest here in europe there not many jews here to hate. And i am not trying to be funny.

And christianity perverded the german race(even hitler favored the christians)