Hell yea it's good. nuff said
Gear:
LTD EC-50 w/ EMG HZ H4's
Maverick F-3
Digitech Metal Master
Boss CE-5
Marshall MG10CD
i play one for a year now its the best allround guitar i ever played. delivers a great clean and powerful distortion tone just ****in amaizing for the price
Hmmm. Ok. Its either that or an RG350DX, my budget has been reduced.
Not the RG, save yourself the trouble of maintaning a low-end Floyd clone.

SZ is great in all respects, however.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
How is the SZ's neck compared to a Les Paul? I have a phobia of Les Paul necks.
Radically different.

SZ neck is just a notch thicker than the RG neck, in the ballpark of one millimeter, and it has a very comfortable set-in neck joint (look here), unlike the LPs massive heel.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
ahh yes!
more people considering this GREAT guitar! i personally own the exact one you are looking at. and i can tell you that it's one hell of a guitar! if you like the wizard necks you wont have any trouble at all with this neck, because it's just 1 mm thicker than the standard wizard ones. you mentioned the RG350DX also. the SZ definitely outplays the rg in both tone (the stock pickups are so much better clean and distorted/overdriven) and playability. i personally compared them both before purchasing my SZ.

it really versatile also so if you want to stick with metal and all that it can take anything you throw at it but if you want to play the blues or something likely it's really capable of doing that also!

i also own the Vox AD50vt. and if you have trouble getting that nice metal tone with your current guitar you will have none with the SZ!

it's a great guitar for your money and well worth investing in! if you think you need even more of the metal sound you could just throw in a emg or random good sounding metal pickup in the bridge position and you'll be prepared for anything!

heres some picture of my 520FM:
http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i298/viggen-af-board/ibanez%20sz520fm/

and if you have any doubts or questions just ask me!

Victor
Quote by joel_grieve
dude. you're drunk and queer. bad combination.

My gear:
Ibanez SZ520fm
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS1 (soon to be modded i think)

Bass stuff:
Cort G34
Peavey 112 basic
Great, thanks for the info I play mostly metal but I do occasionally play some softer stuff like RHCP and Muse, nice to know it has a versatile sound Any other info would be great.
of course, forgot to mention, it's sexy as hell! the inlays is a really beautiful work!
Quote by joel_grieve
dude. you're drunk and queer. bad combination.

My gear:
Ibanez SZ520fm
Vox AD50VT
Boss DS1 (soon to be modded i think)

Bass stuff:
Cort G34
Peavey 112 basic
Hahaha, yes, it is. Looks awful in the photos but I saw it in a shop once and I got a raging erection.
Wow TMI dude hahaha. Anyways, it's a nice guitar. I've had the chance to play one a few times and it was nice.
Also, how does this guitar handle drop tunings? I sometimes use drop C.
knowing ibanez, i'm sure it'll do just fine.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
The neck isn't much like a wizard. It's wider and fatter, so you should definitely try before you buy.

Other than the pickups, it's a fantastic guitar. Well worth the money!

Oh, and it handles drop tunings fine. The Gibraltar III bridge is designed to handle heavy strings well (but I use 9s, and it takes them fine too!).
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by treflip
Also, how does this guitar handle drop tunings? I sometimes use drop C.

yes, i also have one, and you can play stuff like in flames, machinehead,soad but for that you need 11's (when you want to go lower then C at least)
The SZ neck is 2mm thicker than the Wizard II, and its also painted so i suggest that you try it 1st and see if its comfortable. And with all your genres and tunings, as far as im concern, the only RG you should set your eyes on are RG321MH or an RGA prestige. As for the drop tuning and string gauge changing, you'd probably need to readjust the action/neck relief/intonation coz most Ibanez guitars are normally set of 9s and in Eb tuning from factory, unless the shop changes them.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Sep 23, 2006,