Hi all, I'm new here and I had a question about a new Alvarez MD90C i was considering buying. I can get this guitar for 500$, but I heard from a friend that the quality of Alvarez guitars aren't too great? As in, over time, the sound from the wood dulls? He recommended a Taylor 110 or along those lines. I'm just wondering if anybody else has noticed this? The quality of the wood of Alvarez guitars aren't too good? Because I heard the guitar new, and I really like the sound of it...it's bright and clear. I'll be using this guitar often and for a long time, and I really need to know if there's any issues like that. Thanks!
A Taylor 110 doesn't even compare with that guitar. If YOU don't want it for $500, bring it to me. I'll take care of it, haha.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Does your freind work at Guitar Center? That sounds like something that the Guitar Center sales staff would say. Alvarez guitars do not have a habbit of sounding dull with time. Here is how it works.

Laminate guitars will dull with time

Solid top guitars with laminated back and sides will open up and sound a little better with time

Guitars with solid back and sides and a solid top will open up and sound a lot better with time.

The Alvarez MD90 has a solid rosewood back and sides and a solid top which means it fits into the 'sounds a lot better with time' catigory. There is nothing magical about taylor guitars that make them sound better when everybody elses guitars get dull. Truth is all solid wood guitar sound better with time. The alvarez you were looking at is comparible in materials and construction to the taylor 810. The Alvarez just has less decorations.
Not taking any online orders.
^damn. so that is why my laminate guitar just doesnt sound like it used to. will this process continue for a while? my guitar is 4 years old, and i would like to know if it will get worse. (alvarez ad60k).
what
Yeah, it's going to get worse but the biggest change in tone happens in the 1st couple years, so it should slow down. That one of the reasons I so adamant that people should get a guitar with a solid top even if you think the laminated top guitars sound better in the store.
Quote by IamJonsCranium
^damn. so that is why my laminate guitar just doesnt sound like it used to. will this process continue for a while? my guitar is 4 years old, and i would like to know if it will get worse. (alvarez ad60k).

That has a solid top in it, but the sides and backs are laminate.

Gear:
Is there more than 1 version of that guitar? When I googled it, it the description did not say it was solid.
Thats weird...I can't find that model on the Alvarez site. The AD60S is a solid top, and I assumed that the "K" designation was just the black version or something. I guess there are more then one version of it.

Gear:
^I didn't see it on their site either. That is why I had to google it
Haha...good point.

Gear:
how do i know if my guitar is laminate? is that just if its glossy?
Quote by tom183
how do i know if my guitar is laminate? is that just if its glossy?

Yes. A glossy finish means it's laminate.
^give him a break. We were all there at some point.

It's getting harder and harder to tell by looking, if you guitar is laminate. The best way is to find a list of your guitars specs online. If it doesn't use the word "solid" then that usualy means it's laminate. So if is says "select spruce top" then your top is laminated but if it says "solid spruce top" then it isn't.

Another good way to tell if the soundboard is laminated is to take a loo at the edge of the soundhole. If it's laminated then you can usually see the layers.
^ All of the small shops that I frequent will also say right on the tag of the guitar if it has a solid top.

Gear:
Quote by Chips-
Yes. A glossy finish means it's laminate.

i have a washburn d10sce n its glossy but the specifications on the washburn website say it has a solid top.
A few years ago I bought an old (approx 1972 vintage) Alvarez model 5022 that was in unplayable condition for $100. Neck was warped, had a cracked brace inside, the nut was broken, finish was cracking and some hippie had plastered it w/stickers and glued a monarch butterfly on the top.
Took it to a local luthier who straightened out the neck (it came back PERFECT) and installed a bone nut & saddle. I removed all the stickers & the butterfly and cleaned up the outside appearance.
It played and sounded fantastic w/a tone straight from heaven. I kept it several years before I began to develope carpul tunnel in my hands and found that a guitar w/a wider neck was easier for me to play. I traded it for an Epiphone FT-145 Texan in a pawnshop.
That pawnshop now has a $350. price tag on that old Alvarez.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Quote by roamingbard13
That has a solid top in it, but the sides and backs are laminate.

no it doesnt. you can see the layers on it when you look at the crossection in the soundhole. you wont get exotic wood for $300 solid top. not even a cheap koa imitation. the k means koa, but it is called dao, which is a breed of koa and something else. it is discontinued. they still make a folk style, af60ck.
what
Last edited by IamJonsCranium at Sep 27, 2006,
Quote by IamJonsCranium
no it doesnt. you can see the layers on it when you look at the crossection in the soundhole. you wont get exotic wood for $300 solid top. not even a cheap koa imitation. the k means koa, but it is called dao, which is a breed of koa and something else. it is discontinued. they still make a folk style, af60ck.

I was corrected a few posts back...it doesn't hurt to read the entire thread. Thanks, though.

Gear: