I got permisson from AndrewBiles to do this months ago, but I've completely forgotten about it until now. I've chosen this album to review because I think it's one of the most honest and soulful blues recordings I've ever heard. I hope you enjoy it too.

Editorial Review (swiped from Amazon.com):

Until this album was released in 1978, Albert Collins had been a journeyman Texas bluesman, little known and unrecorded for six years. His guitar playing here won him a new generation of fans, and set the stage for the popularity he enjoyed until his death. His clustered, sustained, choked, and bent notes, played with his thumb and fingers, set a generation of pickers agog. The tone was piercing; the timing impeccable. Collins' vocals were never quite as strong, but it scarcely mattered as he was the man for whom the electric guitar might have been invented. The eight songs on this set include "When the Welfare Turns Its Back on You," and several jaw-dropping instrumentals.

Songlist:

Honey Hush: A great up-tempo opener with some nice axe work. The lyrics make reference to a woman who talks too much. Albert has never been shy to express his true feelings in song form, and this is a great example of him just letting it all out.

When the Welfare Turns it's Back on You: A slower song with some backing instruments to complement Collin's "cool sound." The piano and saxophone do an excellent job with the verse fills in this song, along with Collins himself. An excellent sax solo gives way to some gut-wrenching feedback, followed with another great Collins solo.

Ice Pick: The first instrumental piece on this album. The whole band is in top form here. Collins and the brass section interweave lead lines fluently until he cuts loose mid-song. The brass section and church organ do a great job holding down the rythym again on this song.

Cold, Cold Feeling: Another slow, but wonderful song. I think this is Collin's best vocal performance on the album. The fills are very quiet and keep the focus on Collin's lyrical talent. A very powerful solo explodes halfway through the song, filled with rapid-fire pull-offs and painfully stinging bends. After the third verse Collin's guitar erupts again and finishes with another beautiful solo.

Too Tired: Another up-tempo rocker with some great guitar work. Frustration, once again, is the lyrical theme in this song but with a more up-beat attitude this time.

Master Charge: One of Collin's best known songs. The lyrics tell the story of Albert's (ex?) wife and her addicitive habit of spending all of his money. Albert really lets his humor shine through here. His screechy vocal impression of his wife's voice is priceless. Very funky rhythm guitar on this track along with more of that great "cool sound" soloing.

Conversation With Collins: An absolute gem of blues storytelling. Collins tells the tale of his wife's evil ways set to a slow-tempo rhythym. He starts off calm and easy, but as the story progresses his anger slowly builds and builds. The guitar fills in this song are so rich and tasteful, it seems that the instrument is an equal-part storyteller alongside the vocals. Collins finally can't take anymore and his telecaster explodes into a fury as the song closes.

Avalanche: The second instrumental and most upbeat song on the album. Nothing but balls-to-the-wall lead work here. Collins sounds as if he's trying to bend the strings right off the fretboard. An excellent closer. I just wish it was longer, since it only leaves you wanting more.

I hope you enjoyed this review and if you dont already own this album, I highly recommend picking it up. Another great album to start getting into Albert would be "Deluxe Edition", which is a best-of collection containing most of the standout tracks from this album and more amazing tracks from Collins long career.

Last edited by SuburbanCowboy at Sep 21, 2006,
Nice one, cheers for doing it
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Hey great review.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
its one of my favorite blues albums - you cant beat his precise, biting tele tone
hmm, guess I need to pick this album up sometime
"Notes are expensive. . .use them wisely"-B.B. King

"It's been very important throughout my career that I've met all the guys I've copied, because at each stage they've said, 'Don't play like me, play like you."-Eric Clapton
I fully intend to pick this album up. I've heard other versions of 'Honey Hush' and 'Cold, Cold Feeling', and they're my favourite Collins songs.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.