So, does anyone of you play with a sanded neck? I'm thinking of sanding the neck because i don't like the somehow a little sticky finish on my Squier Strat. I just wanna know what you did with your neck after you've sanded it.
And please don't just tell me to get a Fender standart because it's sooooo much better. This was my first electric and i somehow like it.
Thanks!
Just get a fine sandpaper, I use 800, and sand the neck lightly. You can also use 0000 steel wool. Don't try to rip the finish off, just polish it like you would with a cloth.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
just take some 400 grit sandpaper and sand it nice and even untill it feels good to your hand, then take some rubbing alcohol and dab it on a clean, soft dry cloth and wipe the neck down to get all of the dust off it. easy as that..
You also might want to rub a bit of tung oil into the back of the neck, because it feels pretty good to the hand.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Well, what I usualy do is I get some 60 grit, sand until its hwo I want it (usually teh necks I play are too thick for my likings) then I sand with 400-600 to sand down any rough grain. Then I sand iwht 800 to make it really smooth. Then I wipe off dust, adn such and finish with tung oil (assuming that you sand through the finish on the neck) Wait 12-24 hours then sand with ultra fine grade steel wool. By then the neck is usually shaped to my liking, as well as a lot smoother then before.

btw sempri-fi, when you sand with just 400 I found that the neck is pretty rough, and you can feel grain and stuff and it's pretty nasty. I highly recommend going up to at least 600 if not higher. And the final sanding with that ultra fien grade steel wool will sand down any small grain stil lsticking up, and it'll smooth out hte finish.
Last edited by kaplac at Sep 21, 2006,
yea, id do it like you if i needed to take the finish off but i let the 400 grit clog up so it doesnt take off so much wood, and i like it a little on the rough side anyway, even really smooth wood with no finish feels sticky to me..