Page 1 of 2
I got into an arguement with a kid at school when he said hendrix was the best guitarist ever. I believe yes he was new and different in his time and is very popular. i named Paul gilbert , jason becker, stevie ray, Michael angelo batio. and many others and he says that jimi was better by saying Why arent they as famous as jimi then. I said just because someone is not famous doesnt mean there not better. LoL Greenday is famous.hahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha. what you guys think.
I agree. Jimi was very creative for his time, but I think Stevie Ray, Yngwie Malmsteen, and many others are far superior.
As far as technique goes, Hendrix is in no way the best. Creativity he's in with a shout but I'd still put some others ahead of him.
hes one of the best rock/blues guitarists ever, but he doesn't stand up too well against a lot of the metal ones.
School children washing cars for charity, is there anything more arousing?
jimi was indeed a very good guitar play but he was no where neer the best... jimi was probably the only guitarist he new :p
Quote by Invictious
Wha...? Ask the local guitar shop for servicing?
They are ugly and bastards there though...
£30

That's outrageous.
Their penis is small too, and I am not that desperate
No thanks.
I dont see why it always come down to X guitarist versus Y guitarist, its far easier to say X, Y and Z are all great guitarists.
they may or may not have the technical skills of hendrix, but hendrix is a ****ing genius. period. he never learned to read music, and just knew what to do with the guitar and make everything new and different and innovative. Personally I think there is no one who can play as good as him, but if there is someone, they definately do not have the same creativity as him. hendrix just gave off an amazing vibe. there will never be anyone like him ever again. thats my opinon. lol
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
i had the same discussion at school with a dude... people say jimmi was the best because he had a style of his own and it was new at the time... but you cant compare 2 different styled guitarist and say one is better than the other. for instance zakk wylde vs jimmy page...zakk wylde would kick jimmy page's ass in metal but zakk dont have **** on jimmy page when it comes to blues/classic rock... but i think every great guitarist would agree that its not about being the best...its all about the music
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
XBL Gamertag: XzXPatrickXzX
The System HAS Failed
Quote by tommyp484
"RUSSELL! WHAT THE F*CK!!!!"
its always hard to say whos better because every one is different, Angus Young isn't known as a guitar god but my uncle put it well saying" He and B.B. King say more in two notes than any of those guys" Angus just had a great "attack", but that doesn't make im better than players who say less with two notes. it all depends on how you look at it.

and yes being famous does NOT make you better than people who arent, hell I'M better than greenday and I havent even been plying for a year
but for every great there is some1 who takes it to the next level
Quote by Invictious
£30

That's outrageous.
No thanks.
Quote by Vedder
hes one of the best rock/blues guitarists ever, but he doesn't stand up too well against a lot of the metal ones.

alright im sorry but I just dont think metal is nearly as hard or creative to play. To me it has no feel. But to be honest im sick of the whos better than Jimi hendrix threads, maybe hes not the best technical guitarist or the best overall but hes different and had the most love for what he did. He had amazing stage presence and was in my opinion one of the coolest people to ever live. whatever.
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
ok, really jimi played the stratocaster with more passion and feeling than any guitarist ever has and problably will. when he played he tore the notes from every fiber of his being. thats what made him so great, there hasnt been a guitarist that has even come close to him sence stevie ray vaughn, definately nobody in the metal genre, just because its fast and precise does not make it good, at all. basicly jimi is the best, and he wasnt that famous in the 60s and yes there has been awesome guitarists sence then but nobody is as good has hendrix, you are wasting your time argueing...
its really down to personal taste.

"the best" is difficult to define
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
well ill give him credit to hes one of the most known names when it comes to guitar cuse not everybody has heard of sevie ray or batio but everybody knows who jimi is
Quote by Invictious
£30

That's outrageous.
No thanks.
in my opinion, there isn't a greatest guitar player ever, cause they all have different styles.
Great topic discussion.

If you break this down you can definitely prove your point.

There was a story of Jimmy Page walking down the hallway of a music hall listening to the players in their practice room. He said that he would never be as good as those players, they had skills with their instrument that were amazing.

Jimmy Page is a better song writer than most anyone. Jimi Hendrix is a better song writer than most anyone.

Do other players have better technique? You bet, but if it's not what the majority of people want to hear, it doesn't matter in my opinion.
Jimi was not the best guitarist that ever lived. If you think you know who is the best guitarist, trust me you don't. You can't determine who the best player is. He didn't play things as difficult as a lot of the guitarists today. The bottom line is that almost all newer styles of playing owe some aspect to Hendrix. When he first came around noone heard a guitar sound like that before. Bottom line, you can't discredit his influence.
"If my baby don't love me no more,
well I'm sure her sister will." -Jimi "Red House"

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

myspace.com/marcrobertwork
Last edited by shark38j at Sep 21, 2006,
Sempri Fi - don't impose your opinions on others.

The guy who said Hendrix "ripped the notes from the fibre of his being" got closest. That was what was special, the sheer amount of **** yeeah that he played with. Very few people can match him on that ...Clapton can't, Yngwie can't, Vai can't. But this doesn't stop them being amazing. PERSONALLY I'd rather listen to Yngwie, Gilbert, Li, Hammett, Slash ETC bacause they have styles of playing that I love even more than Jimi's, but it's undeniable that he was an incredibly communicative player.

There is no best, IMO, just different shades of perfect
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
ive been playing for around 2 years, and thanks for posting those videos, they prove my point exactly, look at jason playing, he has barely any feeling when he plays, now look at hendrix
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5831884656012429581&q=jimi+hendrix&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-347686901094352198&q=jimi+hendrix&hl=en
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4980626658551413306&q=jimi+hendrix&hl=en
especially the last one, he plays with feeling and passion, thats what defines a musician, it is an art not a science, anyone can learn to play science, but to play art, that takes a true musician
Quote by mightykyle
sempri heres some questions how old ru ,how long have you been playing, and have you ever seen this video,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8725540685439152718&q=jason+becker or
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6341116702386742329&q=jason+becker

thats not really that soulful, pretty repetitive and predictable in my opinion.
my contribution to this will be, every guitarist after jimi hendrix's time has been influenced by him in one way or another, even if they dont realise it or dont accept it they have.

without him, pedals may not be used as much, without him rock and roll may not have gotten its acheived status, he basically owns a commonly used chord known as the hendrix chord or the blues chord.
even metal heads or punks in someway have been influenced by him, this is why i believe he is the most influental guitarist of all time possibly, which is often connected with being the best. doesnt mean he is the best, but surely up there, remember if he had lived further he could have got better. could you imagine my head would explode
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
Quote by mightykyle
sempri heres some questions how old ru ,how long have you been playing, and have you ever seen this video,
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8725540685439152718&q=jason+becker or
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6341116702386742329&q=jason+becker

I can't count how many times my soul has told me to play my guitar and play with a yo-yo at the same time.

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

Ya My Not Be Soulful But Seems T Ome He Worked His Whole Life To Achive It And Didnt Use The Same Eminor Pentatonic Scales I Learned My First Week Of Playing Guitar Over And Over.
Quote by mightykyle
Ya My Not Be Soulful But Seems T Ome He Worked His Whole Life To Achive It And Didnt Use The Same Eminor Pentatonic Scales I Learned My First Week Of Playing Guitar Over And Over.

You make it sound so simple, yes he frequently used the pentatonic scale, but so do countless other great guitarists. There was so much more to his music than one simple scale. By the way, you don't need to capitalize every word in a sentence.
Quote by mightykyle

It's an argument that has been made way to much on this forum. The same close minded people saying "There's no soul in shredding" and the other side using the same argument you just made. It's all good music. There's not as much technique in the blues and there's not as much feeling in shredding. It's all about what you enjoy. Can't we all just get along.

Gear
1983 Strat '57 Reissue
1964 Gibson ES-330
Dr Z Maz 38
Fender Pro-Junior

lol sorry hahah. it is simple lol. bend a couple notes trill here in there then come back to the root note. boom your hendrix. lol
Quote by mightykyle
lol sorry hahah. it is simple lol. bend a couple notes trill here in there then come back to the root note. boom your hendrix. lol

so u consider urself as good as hendrix huh?
In the aspect of putting so much feeling and emotion into playing the guitar, then yes, Hendrix definitely was the best. But there can't be a "best" with so many different styles and genres. It just can't happen.
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

www.myspace.com/readysetbingo

Quote by Baba O'Riley
SGRocker407 you have some epic hair. Most curly.
Quote by mightykyle
not creatively, i would have to do drugs to match him.

whatever u say...
Page 1 of 2