Ok, so, I have been playing guitar for 2 years now using a Fender Frontman 15W I belive, and am now looking into buying a new amp. I have narowed it down to four choices, and could use some help wieghing pros and cons and choosing one.

First is the Line 6 Spider II 210 Combo
It seems that the Line 6's have taken alot of ridecule on the forums, but when I explained my situation to my guitar teacher, who has a 9 year Sam Ash employment history and is an amazing guitarist, he was the first to recommend the Spider series to me, and he himself uses various Line 6 products.

Next is the Marshalls. Either the MG30DFX-Combo (less expensive) or the AVT20X 20W 1x10 Combo
Alot of people seem to support these.

Finally the Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30W Combo
The VTs seem to also have a lot of support

I want to mainly use the amp for jam sessions and a gig here and there eventually. I am into mostly punk rock, metal, and classic rock. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,

XrobX
Personally, I like the sound of the VOX over the others you've listed. Anyone will be good quality. It all comes down to what sounds best to you. Sit down and put each to the test.
frontman probably has a better tone than all of them in my opinion any chance you could save up a little more and purchase something that will benefit you more in the future? but if not...best to try em...ADVT would get my vote if your hearts on getting a new amp....but it doesnt have the same Crunch as a frontman does so be warned if thats what you want.
Founder Of The "Jimmy Page Stole All Of My Potential Riffs" Club PM To Join!.

Quote by CoreysMonster
Meh, I usually just buy them off the local shaman, unless I'm in the wilderness, where I rely on raw meat to raise my HP.
If I were to save up for a higher end amp (probally 500-600 max at my current expieirence/capabilities), what would you recommend then?
I stupidly bought a BOSS Distortion 1 Stomp box, which is not even as good as the one built in to the amp. I am quite uneducated in the world of stomp boxes, pedals, wah wahs, boards and gizza-ma-whats-its, so any knowledge on those areas would be greatly appreciated as well, I would love to know what kind of...thing...I could use (and how) to do whatever you may recomend I do to make playing coler or what-not, becuase I am also thinkign about purchasing some kind of..."thing"...to do..whatever it may do.
All the amps you listed are horrible. Cept the Vox, which is a decent amp, but i hate it. The vox may work for you, not really for metal though.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
The vox has a single preamp tube, thats why they call it "valvetronix" or whatever. I have heard from serveral people that this does basically nothing at all, and from playing one, it is my personal opinion that it doesn't, either.

If your looking at a small practice amp, maybe look at the Vox DA15. 15W solid-state amp, works perfectly well for practice, lessons and playing by yourself. IMO it has a very good range of available variations of distortion, such as blues/crunch/hi-gain/etc, and it will cost about $160 from MF.

In MY (keyword there people) it is a very good and reliable practice amp, if that is what you are looking for then your good. If your looking to do small gigs/live performances then you will want to save up some money and get a good tube combo or something.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Neither, theyre horrible amps. Dont even waste your time with them. Go with the Vox before those two.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Well unless you support that with some fact, I have no reason to care about that statement.
Line 6 Spider. Horrible distortion, breaks up, very digital, fuzzy, bad cleans, built in effects are HORRID, sounds like (theres not a word to describe this bad) BAD when its turned up loud. Just an all around bad amp. (Its the #1 worst amp Ive ever played)

Marshall AVT - not as bad as the Line 6, not as bad as an MG, but not a very good amp. once again, build in effects are horrible. It breaks up at loud volumes, gives pretty bad feedback. The clean channel is mediocore, just once again not a very decent amp.

Is that better?
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
So then, what would you recommend I get with a preferably $500 max price range?
dude, the Spider is HORRIBLE, the AVT is also very bad.

but no matter what Spider you get, your going to get horrible tone, and a cheaply made amp, with the AVT your paying even more for an aqually ****ty amp.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
So then what do I do, becuase my Frontman is deteriorating, gettign fuzzy and broken up, not holding a tone on distortion, everythign is gettign realy choppy, and I would like something that could do some gigs and hold it's own in a jam session (which this definitly cannot)
Well, Id go with the Vox. Most people like it, basically everyone does, I own one and dont like it, its just me, its the best of your choices BY FAR though.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Is there anything that is a little better above the $300 Vox without putting me into bankrupcy?
If i were you, i'd try to get a smaller tube combo. The exact amp depends on what music you play.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Im not a super amp expert here, and dont know 1000s of amps and im tired, so at the top of my head all I can think of is the Vox. Just stay away from Solid State Marshalls and most Line 6 equipment.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
check out a roland cube 30 or 60 man. there amazing great for what you play to. i just ordered the 60
Whos space?

Counter strike source = ddextromethorphan

add me
Ok maybe get a look at a roland, as suggested. OR perhaps stick with fender, my Champion 110 is only 25 watts, SS but is great for smaller gigs at like an indoor bar or somehing like that, put it through a 2X12 cab or just mic it into the house PA and im plenty loud!!

I got my Champion for 195.00 check ebay, Theres usually one or two, I swear by it and it can even drive a 4X12 if you need to, with some EQ tweeking it can be a scooped mid beast for metal or a tweed blues amp all in a turn of a knob.

Check them out !!! Take my word for it dude they rule!!
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by SGKIDD
Ok maybe get a look at a roland, as suggested. OR perhaps stick with fender, my Champion 110 is only 25 watts, SS but is great for smaller gigs at like an indoor bar or somehing like that, put it through a 2X12 cab or just mic it into the house PA and im plenty loud!!

I got my Champion for 195.00 check ebay, Theres usually one or two, I swear by it and it can even drive a 4X12 if you need to, with some EQ tweeking it can be a scooped mid beast for metal or a tweed blues amp all in a turn of a knob.

Check them out !!! Take my word for it dude they rule!!

Solid state and 25W, and works for gigs? Im having trouble understanding that..
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
25 watts like you've never heard. Plus i use a 2X12 ext cab alot. It really is unbelievable, and I wouldnt expect it from any 25 watt SS amp, in fact normally this would be a joke, but in all hanest, it keeps up!! now mind you i use a bd-2 for solos to help cut through becase alone its not possibel but i manage.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
id pick a vox
or a roland for metal
but the vox really sounds great for blues
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Quote by SGKIDD
25 watts like you've never heard. Plus i use a 2X12 ext cab alot. It really is unbelievable, and I wouldnt expect it from any 25 watt SS amp, in fact normally this would be a joke, but in all hanest, it keeps up!! now mind you i use a bd-2 for solos to help cut through becase alone its not possibel but i manage.

Thats really fascinating actually. I never imagined a 25 watt SS amp to be usable for gigs.
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT